International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

What do all of you think of posting summaries of our applications and profiles? We could begin now or wait until everyone has heard back from IHEID; I reckon it could be a great help to future candidates if they can get an idea of our backgrounds, in that it will provide them with a benchmark against which to evaluate the strength of their applications. Just a thought.

Some sample questions, based on Feel free to add more:

Previous schools (name, type):

Previous degrees and grades:

International experience (countries, reason, duration):

Previous work experience (duration, type):

Math/econ background:

Languages (how fluent?):

Intended field of study in grad school:

Long-term professional goals:

Schools applied to & results (funding?):

Ultimate decision & why:

Any advice for future applicants?

I love your idea and it will actually be awesome! :D However, I agree with Alchyna that we should wait and only when we have made a decision post this! 

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around for some time now and it's been reassuring to know other people are also tired of waiting and as anxious as I am...

I applied for Mdev and my status is still "under consideration". Applied on 2nd round.

I am a young professional (well not that young anymore hahaha) and only applied to IHEID (I live in Switzerland) No scholarship request.

Good luck to you all.

Hopefully 2nd post will be news :-)

Cheers

Welcome to our humble anxious thread. :D 

Heres hoping for your good news! All the best :) 

thanks! I applied to MDEV. IHEID is one of my top choices so really nervous to see what the outcome is going to be. Hope we find out today! Congrats on getting in, really hope the scholarship works out for you!! :) what course is it?

My friend got accepted recently, she applied in January - for the political science masters.

Thank you :) 

I got through MDev and I am hoping I can somehow manage funding. Looking for external aids and all! Where else have you applied? Also good luck :)

Very good initiative. I wish previous IHEID applicants had done the same !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

City University of Hong Kong (for UG study)

University of Buenos Aires (For master study)

BA in English Studies (Upper Second Class)

MA in South American Studies (9.3/10 = Distinction, taugh in Spanish)

One month (each) : Australia, Canada & the UK ---Summer English courses

Six months Madrid --- Exchange

Nine months Peru --- volunteering in a slum

Six months Berlin --- working holiday visa

two months Brazil --- field trip for my master thesis

two years Argentina --- master degree

No real work experience but do have some internships exp

3 months : Large international NGO in HK

6 months : A foreign consulate in HK 

1 year : in a Large Latin American NGO in Argentina

3 months : in a prestigious think tank in Argentina

Math/econ background:

NOTHING. I HATE Numbers !!!!!!!!!!!

Languages (how fluent?):

Cantonese (Native) --- Mandarin (Fluent with HK accent B) ) --- English (Fluent) ---- Japanese (Fluent)----Spanish (Fluent) ---- Portuguese (advanced) --- German (beginner, The Germens speak very good English. All my german friends just did not have the patience to talk to me in german. After greeting, they always switched to English)

South South Cooperation. 

UN, large think tank, international NGO 

Sciences Po Paris & Hertie accepted           IHEID and Oxford pending

Ultimate decision & why:

After reading your profile, man you are in with full scholarship. All the best :) 

Amazing idea Mych. I think it's too soon for me to post it, but well, I think posting it is probably the best way to keep my eyes off the follow up page. So here it is:

Previous schools (name,type): 2nd tier University, Not Impressive.

BSc Economics (First class)

China- Exchange Program with a Chinese University ( 1 year)

3 months : working for a NGO in India.

3 months : Investment Banking Analyst in India.

3 months : Quants Trader (Intern) BNP Paribas Shanghai

Math/econ background: Yes

Languages (how fluent?): Hindi (Native), English ( Fluent), Mandarin (Fluent)

Intended field of study in grad school: Master in International Development (hopefully along with a CFA degree)

Long-term professional goals: Development Banking ( consulting - the last resort)

Schools applied to & results (funding?): accepted at SciencesPo,LSE and HEC Paris, Awaiting- IHEID

Ultimate decision & why:

Very good initiative. I wish previous IHEID applicants had done the same !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Math/econ background:

Languages (how fluent?):

Cantonese (Native) --- Mandarin (Fluent with HK accent B) ) --- English (Fluent) ---- Japanese (Fluent)----Spanish (Fluent) ---- Portuguese (advanced) --- German (beginner, The Germens speak very good English. All my german friends just did not have the patience to talk to me in german. After greeting, they always switched to English)

South South Cooperation. 

Sciences Po Paris & Hertie accepted           IHEID and Oxford pending

Ultimate decision & why:

Your profile is amazing!!! I don't know why IHEID pushed you to the second cycle. Besides, I believe you'll also get into Oxford.  :)

I am first round applicant for MIA. My application is still under consideration. I am less anxious now because I am nominated for Erasmus Mundus scholarships category A which is so generous funding to attend Master's in International Migration at University of Amsterdam, University of Deusoto in Spain and University college Dublin, Ireland. I am reading this thread and I am extremely hopeful that I will get an admission with full scholarship without which I wouldn't intend to attend the program. I am just thinking which program should I go if that happens. I want IHEID for its name and prestige that enhances my employment prospects and I want the Erasmus for its mobility. I wish success to all of you who make this thread interesting and make me wish join you in Geneva.

It's almost 5pm in Geneva time and still under consideration...

yayayaya, IHEID is making it easier for me at least to make a decision,,IHEID very much fail to impress me with their promptness in responding students with their query..Even though its small college and their volume of applicants arent as big as compare to some ivy league school, they are taking forever to give out decisions...Personally, I feel it also shows the working environment that presents within IHEID.. I know I am over reacting and reading too much in between the lines, but seriously this is what my impressions so far about IHEID...

Math/econ background:

Languages (how fluent?):

South South Cooperation. 

Sciences Po Paris & Hertie accepted           IHEID and Oxford pendingUltimate decision & why:

Wow. That's great. Looks like I still have a lot to learn, I am just an Undergrad and I expect to graduate in 2014. Can some one please enlighten me about the class profile at IHEID( basically, the proportion of fresh undergrads)? Thanks :)

yayayaya, IHEID is making it easier for me at least to make a decision,,IHEID very much fail to impress me with their promptness in responding students with their query..Even though its small college and their volume of applicants arent as big as compare to some ivy league school, they are taking forever to give out decisions...Personally, I feel it also shows the working environment that presents within IHEID.. I know I am over reacting and reading too much in between the lines, but seriously this is what my impressions so far about IHEID...

Goes to show how much is down to perspective :P I actually consider IHEID (and Hertie) the best in terms of communication. They have always been prompt, friendly and helpful whenever I've called or emailed them. I do agree that the prolonged admission response window is quite nerve-wrecking, but in all fairness the 2-week time frame has been clearly stated since the beginning. In addition to that when they realised that the online portal may have bugs (it's new, so teething problems are to be expected), they promptly sent out emails informing candidates to await email confirmations instead. I'd say that's initiative, and this clear flow of information is one of the reasons that IHEID is my top choice. I agree that they should in future provide clear staggered release dates according to programme, but for now I can't complain about the fortnight of agony given that I was prewarned.

In contrast, IBEI has been absolutely terrible in terms of communication. My phone calls went unanswered and my emails were finally replied to 3 weeks after I sent them, and the reason I even had to send them was because I received no confirmation (automated or otherwise) that my application had been received. ScPo has been quick to respond to emails as well, but they often respond in French when I write them in English, and the answers provided are sometimes not for the questions asked. That's one of the reasons I moved ScPo down to my 3rd choice and Hertie up to my 2nd.

Hi Swissfroggy! Welcome to the thread. :) Which part of the country are you in, and are you looking for a Stipendium from your canton? That's the route I'm looking at should I fail to receive funding.

(Feel free to wait until your admission before responding if you want your 2nd post to be news ;)

Hey Mych!

I currently live in Ticino. (I am French, married a Swiss Italian guy - Hence the Swiss location - and work worldwide for a bank.) Where are you from?

Financing, if admitted, will be provided by the bank I currently work for for year 1 (I will be paid).

2nd year is on me.

As for the questions, I applied to support my career change:

Previous schools (name, type): Top 3 French business school. MBA (France + Singapore).

Previous degrees and grades: MBA. Major in law. Don't have my transcripts here. Not great grades! :o But I graduated!

International experience (countries, reason, duration): Lived in France, Singapore, Luxembourg, Japan, Switzerland and Italy. Have been travelling a lot for the past 3 years. Took 9 months off to travel after graduating.

Previous work experience (duration, type): Strategy consulting (2 years), Investment banking (2 years), Banking strategy (3 years)

Math/econ background: Good.

Languages (how fluent?):  English, French, Italian: Fluent. German: Working Proficiency. Mandarin: Intermediate.

Intended field of study in grad school: Development (South south)

Long-term professional goals: International organisation, programme management

Schools applied to & results (funding?): IHEID (company and personal funding)

IHEID has stated in answers on their facebook page (by Paola Eicher) that each application is being processed one by one, both acceptances and rejections. Could it be that they're going alphabetically? Or maybe by submission date? - which seems weird since some of you applied for first round admissions. We're all theorizing - it's so hard no to. :huh:

Hey Mych!

I currently live in Ticino. (I am French, married a Swiss Italian guy - Hence the Swiss location - and work worldwide for a bank.) Where are you from?

Financing, if admitted, will be provided by the bank I currently work for for year 1 (I will be paid).

2nd year is on me.

Previous schools (name, type): Top 3 French business school. MBA (France + Singapore).

Previous degrees and grades: MBA. Major in law. Don't have my transcripts here. Not great grades! :o But I graduated!

International experience (countries, reason, duration): Lived in France, Singapore, Luxembourg, Japan, Switzerland and Italy. Have been travelling a lot for the past 3 years. Took 9 months off to travel after graduating.

Previous work experience (duration, type): Strategy consulting (2 years), Investment banking (2 years), Banking strategy (3 years)

Languages (how fluent?):  English, French, Italian: Fluent. German: Working Proficiency. Mandarin: Intermediate.

We all look like little kids compared to your profile!!!  Dawrf VS Giant 

Why did you not apply to the dual degree with Havard ???

We all look like little kids compared to your profile!!!  Dawrf VS Giant 

Why did you not apply to the dual degree with Havard ???

Had applied before knowing but if admitted, I will defnitiely apply in Fall (there's a timing exemption for the lauch year of the programme) but then I will definitely have funding issues HAHAHA

Previous schools (name, type): CUNY - Brooklyn College

Previous degrees and grades: BA in Political Science & Philosophy - graduated magna. 

Professional Certificate in Risk Management from NYU

International experience (countries, reason, duration): France - 1 month in HS, Italy - 1 month in College, all over Asia - as a child and on vacation, Monaco, Belgium, Switzerland - 1 month in HS

Previous work experience (duration, type): Intern at a lot of Fashion companies (Steven Alan - 6 months, Queen Bee - 3 months, Snag Films - 2 months), I now work as an E-commerce Manager in Inkkas

Math/econ background: Calculus 1 & 2, Micro & Macro Economics, Self-study in Linear Algebra

Languages (how fluent?): Vietnamese - native, English - native

Intended field of study in grad school: Political Economy

Long-term professional goals: Investment Banking

Schools applied to & results (funding?): All are MSC programs : SciencePo & LSE (I am supposed to find out tomorrow), KCL - ACCEPTED (multiple scholarships), UCL - IMESS (I have no idea :()

Ultimate decision & why: I may reject SciencePo if I get in but it is because LSE. I did not hear great things about the LSE graduate program. 

Any advice for future applicants : DO NOT START LOOKING AT GRAD SCHOOL IN LATE OCTOBER AND START APPLYING IN LATE JANUARY. IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO DO IT THIS LATE. Oh yea, and apply to more than 3 schools and be sure to do your best on the SoP. Don't accidentally send in the wrong SoP to other schools. 

As a way to pass the time and because I haven't posted here in a while:

Previous Degree/Grades: BSc Geography/1st class and award for highest overall grade (lower ranked UK uni), graduated last summer.

International Experience: Travelling, fieldwork experience in Greece and Morocco, week in Red Cross/UN agencies in Geneva.

Previous Work Experience: 6 months as a planning consultant (legal side of construction and erecting renewable technologies).

Maths/Econ Background: Nothing extensive but averaged 90% in two statistics modules; proposed research also draws on knowledge of econometrics. 

Languages: Fluent in English. Interested/beginner in French/Chinese for research and professional purposes. Hoping to improve my language skills during postgraduate study.

Intended Field of Study: Interested in entrepreneurship, innovation (noting context), knowledge (how it is disseminated/contained; by whom/how/why?) and what these represent to ID.

Long-term professional goals: Interested in research, finance (investment/risk/credit/funds etc) and consultancy (similar to business organisation but more inter rather and intra relations).

Schools Applied To and Funding: Oxford MPhil in development studies. I want to continue on to the DPhil and their department resources/potential supervisors suit my interests the best (I'd rather reapply next year than go with a backup). Hoping to receive ESRC funding through the university based on DPhil proposal/Clarendon's funding otherwise I'll pay for the MPhil through savings/family and reapply for funding with the DPhil/PhD.

Edit: Apologies for all the slashes.

Edited by ZakV

Dear fellow waiting-mates,

Now we can say

TOMORROW IS THE DAY.

Mickun88....That is true..Finally it is coming down to tomorrow !!! Good luck everyone!!! Finally your long waiting period will be over!!!

Dear fellow waiting-mates,

Now we can say

TOMORROW IS THE DAY.

LOL you know what... I just don't want to be posting here tomorrow saying MONDAY for sure IS THE DAY! lol

If that happens I think I will blast them with emails ha ha ha

LOL you know what... I just don't want to be posting here tomorrow saying MONDAY for sure IS THE DAY! lol

If that happens I think I will blast them with emails ha ha ha

If that happens I'll take the train down to Geneva and stand over their shoulders until they finally give me my acceptance. :P

Hey Mych!

2nd year is on me.

Ah, the Italian part's the part I'm least familiar with. :/ I'm in the German part myself, central Switzerland. Is working worldwide as fantastic as it sounds? 

Sounds like we're in similar boats (in a vague, not-really sort of way); I can cover the costs of a year, but need another source of funding to cover the 2nd. Either that or postpone my studies by another year so that I can fund it entirely out of my own pocket.

Edited by mych

Hello all! New lurker here, similarly still waiting for Mdev results. I had been really impressed by how prompt IHEID and Paola always answered mails, but I'm beginning to think they're running late. Argphhhhhh. It's also not reasurring that there hasn't been any known rejections, almost like they're saving them for the end. Also, I noticed quite a few of you applied for Sciences Po and some had problems with the administration. As a graduate, all I can say is it will only get worse from here, they're the most incompetent administration I have ever seen (and that includes many 3rd world countries) and we use to refer to the day we had to pick classes as wartime. I would also advise checking with them how many people are in your class before making your final decision. PSIA masters are pretty big, because Sciences Po undergrads are automatically admitted to the all their non-competitive grad programs (having hated my undergrad there, I left, but many of my friends attended).

Anyways, sorry for the Sciences Po tangent and good luck to everyone still waiting on IHEID! May they take pity on us :blink:

Edited by Kanton

Lets turn on our pessimistic mode.

What would be your reaction upon receiving the rejection decision?  

Probably stand outside in the snow storm and then go eat my weight in chocolate.

Lets turn on our pessimistic mode.

What would be your reaction upon receiving the rejection decision?  

Keep refreshing. That can't be the end!

University of California Santa Barbara (Top 40 overall, Top 10 public)

B.A. Sociology / History (GPA: 3.61, Major: 3.9)

GRE: 166V, 158Q, AW: 4.0

International summer school for one session.

Not much else, besides traveling.

1.5+ yr journalism experience (for local daily newspaper)

0.5 yr well-known DC think tank 

Math/econ background:

No calc, no macro/micro

Only stats for social science, and international political economy course

Languages (how fluent?):

Korean (Native)

English (Native)

Portuguese (Intermediate)

French (Basic)

Spanish (Basic)

International Development (MDEV)

esp. as it relates to urban issues/resource access issues

PhD academic working for a R1 uni 

Or if fortune favors, keep working for NGOs or think tanks

LSE Urbanisation and Development, UCL Bartlett Development Planning Unit (DPU) MSc Urban Development Planning, MIT Urban Planning International Development Group (IDG) MS Urban Planning, UC Berkeley College of Environmental Design MS City/Regional Planning, Columbia SIPA MIA Urban and Social Policy, Columbia GSAPP MS Urban Planning, NYU Wagner MA Urban Planning (International Development), New School Milano MA International Affairs, Stanford Ford Dorsey IPS, GWU Elliott MA International Development Studies, IHEID Graduate Institute Geneva MA Development Studies

Only acceptance so far: IHEID

Ultimate decision & why: 

TBD

TBD

I leave this for future applicants to similar programs!

Edited by dpgu800