International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

-----------------------------

Hey Angie! 

Thanks!

I was really excited for IHEID and was def leaning towards it, esp b/c all my other options were financially unfeasible.....

But I felt like LSE would give me the most flexibility, not in terms of the curriculum but in terms of post-graduation prospects.

It's def a very prestigious brand, internationally and even in the US where foreign education is (unjustly) looked down upon.

While a certain degree of skepticism from future employers may be unavoidable, I would rather risk that than come out of grad school with a mountain of debt.    

It's not as cheap as IHEID but within my means, and much better than Columbia or GWU. 

It's a short programme, which gives me more room for amending my career plans in the future, if I need to do that.

It's a more "theoretical" programme, which may be bad for professional development, but I actually do like pondering upon theoretical sides of things, and I think education should be more than learning skills....Also my ultimate plan is to get a PhD, and a MSc from LSE will be looked upon quite favorably by academics and also allow me skip the first year or two of the doctoral program.

Despite many negative feedback from past students, LSE is still def a world class university and a center of social science research and policy analysis. Access to not just great professors but also to great guest lecture events is def something I would love. And I'm sure LSE, being a high profile uni, would attract interesting ppl....Also it's in London! :D

IHEID would def be a very close second choice for me.

It basically has all the advantages of LSE, minus the longer study period and wide recognition in the US.

I think unfortunately, right now those two qualities are things I do need...

What about you?? Are you still leaning for IHEID?

I see you're considering Sciences Po as well! and SOAS!! 

Okay well what you say makes sense and its a fit for your future career too. As for me, I am only considering Sciences Po and IHEID at the moment. Thats cuz of two reasons, first, I want a 2 year programme as some organisations do not recognise a one year degree. Secondly, I want to go to non-english speaking country as I wanna learn a new language, in this case French. So its a tug of war between France and Geneva. Both of them have their shares of pros and cons and the deciding factor is the scholarships. 

So I am hoping things will be cleared out by this week. Though if I have no scholarship, I shall pack my bags and go to IHEID. 

K_angie thank you for getting back to me and giving me the good news. I will definitely apply then :)

How would you guys rank the competitiveness of LSE, SOAS, Science Po and IHEID?

Idk why I am just anti-LSE these days. I didnt even apply there even after completing my admission form. The reviews of not only students but some of the past faculty members really put me off. Though I am sure there are good and bad about everything. So dont take my advice on this. 

As for the competitiveness score, I have seen ppl get through to SOAS and LSE. Though for LSE it depends on what course you apply to. If its a pretty popular one then the acceptance varies. However, SOAS is very easy to get through. While IHEID has been really strict with accepting ppl from last two years. In 2012-2013 their acceptance rate was 32%, while in 2013-2014 It was 18% and this year too I think its something around this figure. 

Sciences Po on the other hand wants an internationally diverse student body hence its sorta easy to get through ScPo but if you are French then it sucks big time as its really really HARD to get through ScPo. Their acceptance rate was some 15% last year. 

In any case I think if your profile is decent and you have a very convincing personal statement and good LORs, you can get in anywhere. 

Hcmg & Mych, I just got my acceptance to SciencePo at 5:41 AM EST. So keep a look out for that email! I think it should arrive by the end of this week :)

No word on the dual programmes though. 

@thepool I think you should apply anyway. If you have strong LoRs, distinctive and/or unusual work history and a really good SoP, I think you have strong chance of getting pass even if your GPA is not at the required place. GPA isn't a make-it-or-break it situation alone. 

Word of caution on SciencePo, don't apply after December or you are going to have a VERY long wait. SciencePo does everything in cycles. 

Congratulations :) 

Did you apply for Emile Boutmy Scholarship? Did you get any word on it? Also what will you choose now? KCL, UCL or ScPo? 

Ty Angie :)

Yup, I applied. I didn't hear back from Emile Boutmy Scholarship yet. I talked to the admissions' director, we are supposed to hear back from them late April. But from previous forum threads, most people heard back late April to early May and I need to respond back by the end of April for the others. Yea... I am not waiting that long. 

Such a shame, I really do like SciencePo's world ranking and their modules but their administration issue is a total turn-off for me. I also work with a lot of French (predominantly Parisians) people and I do NOT have a very pleasant experience with them so I do not think my personality and their personality will mesh all that well. 

Besides, I think this SciencePo programme is only one year and I prefer two years. I heard great things about UCL - IMESS programme and how they are very big on job placement & internships, so I am leaning pretty heavy towards UCL - IMESS.

Congratulations :) 

Did you apply for Emile Boutmy Scholarship? Did you get any word on it? Also what will you choose now? KCL, UCL or ScPo? 

Well, I received the email from Science Po. My application has been rejected, congratulations to all those who have been selected. 

Hello guys, congratulations to you all for ur acceptance to different uni.

After consulting to my professors, friends, family, I decided to attend LSE even though I did not get any aid.

Even though IHEID was my top choice as my DAD  got his PhD from there so I wanted to continue my family legacy..But career wise LSE looks much better for me. I got FULL ride to IHEID, got tuition waved from institution itself and got external scholarship that would cover everything. But I had to make a decision for long term. I hope I get to see some of you in LSE..I will be doing my Master in International Relation Taught Program...

Ty Angie :)

Yup, I applied. I didn't hear back from Emile Boutmy Scholarship yet. I talked to the admissions' director, we are supposed to hear back from them late April. But from previous forum threads, most people heard back late April to early May and I need to respond back by the end of April for the others. Yea... I am not waiting that long. 

Such a shame, I really do like SciencePo's world ranking and their modules but their administration issue is a total turn-off for me. I also work with a lot of French (predominantly Parisians) people and I do NOT have a very pleasant experience with them so I do not think my personality and their personality will mesh all that well. 

Besides, I think this SciencePo programme is only one year and I prefer two years. I heard great things about UCL - IMESS programme and how they are very big on job placement & internships, so I am leaning pretty heavy towards UCL - IMESS.

Hmm I know I have been waiting since Dec to hear about Emile. Its really irritating esp given that all the other programmes need their decision soon. Plus I dont why have I heard such things about Parisians. Never had any interaction with them and all this stuff just is a tad bit scary. :/ 

Well, I received the email from Science Po. My application has been rejected, congratulations to all those who have been selected. 

Sorry to hear that. I hope there are better things in stored for you. Good luck anyway :) 

After consulting to my professors, friends, family, I decided to attend LSE even though I did not get any aid.

Even though IHEID was my top choice as my DAD  got his PhD from there so I wanted to continue my family legacy..But career wise LSE looks much better for me. I got FULL ride to IHEID, got tuition waved from institution itself and got external scholarship that would cover everything. But I had to make a decision for long term. I hope I get to see some of you in LSE..I will be doing my Master in International Relation Taught Program...

Wow I can't believe you are turning down a fully funded program! Well I guess you are doing what is best for you, happy to know you have made a decision. I too am leaning slightly towards LSE right now but I haven't made a final decision yet.

For all future LSE students this blog giving tips to new LSE students might be helpful to you, especially if you've never been to London before! http://onelse.com/

A Distinction is actually 75-85%.

Ooh I did not know that.

I just assumed the calculation across the board would be similar (3.5/4.0 = 87.5%)

But then again getting a 3.5 in the American system is not the hardest thing to do if you apply yourself enough.

And looking at the AUS grade distribution, a Distinction def seems like a big achievement! 

So you'll def be on your way to LSE or SOAS at the least, judging by their own published reqs!

Okay well what you say makes sense and its a fit for your future career too. As for me, I am only considering Sciences Po and IHEID at the moment. Thats cuz of two reasons, first, I want a 2 year programme as some organisations do not recognise a one year degree. Secondly, I want to go to non-english speaking country as I wanna learn a new language, in this case French. So its a tug of war between France and Geneva. Both of them have their shares of pros and cons and the deciding factor is the scholarships. 

I totally get your dilemma.

I'm afraid that some of my prospective American employers would look down upon my degree b/c of the length of the program.

And at least in Europe, a one year MSc doesn't comply w the Bologna Process so that become very problematic for students.

(But I found out recently that, if I wanted to, I'd have the opportunity to apply for a one-year Master of International Studies (MIS) from GWU Elliott, if I complete a MSc from LSE, thus making my "degree" two years in length. Though I would need to look more into this option, it somewhat subsides my concerns about the MSc's length. Also this seems great b/c I'm def gonna head to DC anyway once I get my MSc! And I'm told that I could expect higher chance of funding w this program by GWU grads) 

And as I also speak a little bit of French and want to improve it more for personal and professional reasons, Geneva as a location would also be a terrific place. 

I would say in terms of professional development, Geneva would be a better pick, no?

I'm sure Paris has internship/PT work opportunities as well, but prob not on the scale of Geneva.

And if you want to break into the IO scene, it'd make sense to go for Geneva and build connection that you could transfer to other branches of IOs. 

Then again: Paris would be a great city to live in.

It's comforting to see I'm not the only wrestling between LSE and IHEID!

Edited by dpgu800

Aww, I am sorry Hcmg. Just apply next year! Good luck! We will be here for you next year :).

Anyone want to meet up if some of us end up in the UK? :D I really don't want to be alone there...like a dog especially since I can't adopt or foster an animal.

P.S. It is a huge dream of mine to wear the black Sith robe and march down the long fancy halls while blasting the Imperial March for all to hear. Long live that dream

Edited by kittythrones

Thanks! :) Now that you have know where you've been admitted, where are you thinking of going? LSE is my absolute dream school so it would be a no brainer for me :P But still....

Alchyana, it depends what program you are applying for..for IR taught program, all the students, domestic or international, pays the same tuition fees.

I meant that i got couple friends who're already doing masters and see what their opinions are 

But my family's reaction is pretty much the same  :D

I'm def gonna have to keep practicing my Portuguese and French w other ppl if I'm not gonna completely forget how to speak them....

And for internships, I'm still looking at couple places in DC where I could apply for the summer.... not that many left tho

To your friends: LOL!

-----------------------------

Hey Angie! 

Thanks!

I was really excited for IHEID and was def leaning towards it, esp b/c all my other options were financially unfeasible.....

But I felt like LSE would give me the most flexibility, not in terms of the curriculum but in terms of post-graduation prospects.

It's def a very prestigious brand, internationally and even in the US where foreign education is (unjustly) looked down upon.

While a certain degree of skepticism from future employers may be unavoidable, I would rather risk that than come out of grad school with a mountain of debt.    

It's not as cheap as IHEID but within my means, and much better than Columbia or GWU. 

It's a short programme, which gives me more room for amending my career plans in the future, if I need to do that.

It's a more "theoretical" programme, which may be bad for professional development, but I actually do like pondering upon theoretical sides of things, and I think education should be more than learning skills....Also my ultimate plan is to get a PhD, and a MSc from LSE will be looked upon quite favorably by academics and also allow me skip the first year or two of the doctoral program.

Despite many negative feedback from past students, LSE is still def a world class university and a center of social science research and policy analysis. Access to not just great professors but also to great guest lecture events is def something I would love. And I'm sure LSE, being a high profile uni, would attract interesting ppl....Also it's in London! :D

IHEID would def be a very close second choice for me.

It basically has all the advantages of LSE, minus the longer study period and wide recognition in the US.

I think unfortunately, right now those two qualities are things I do need...

What about you?? Are you still leaning for IHEID?

I see you're considering Sciences Po as well! and SOAS!! 

dpgu800,

U made a really good case for LSE. I went to attend one conference last week and I met couple of Harvard Graduate guys who are running non-profit organization based in NYC. They were "Def. go with LSE" and that is the place for ur master. I know IHEID is amazing place and uni, i know by fact since my dad got his PhD from there, I am leaning towards LSE. This is one school that is comparable to Ivy league school in USA. Being in central London and its rigorous academic reputation, this should give me some advantages while applying for jobs after graduation. Since Kennedy went to this school, it is well known to US after Oxbridge..

dpgu800,

U made a really good case for LSE. I went to attend one conference last week and I met couple of Harvard Graduate guys who are running non-profit organization based in NYC. They were "Def. go with LSE" and that is the place for ur master. I know IHEID is amazing place and uni, i know by fact since my dad got his PhD from there, I am leaning towards LSE. This is one school that is comparable to Ivy league school in USA. Being in central London and its rigorous academic reputation, this should give me some advantages while applying for jobs after graduation. Since Kennedy went to this school, it is well known to US after Oxbridge..

Indeed.

It seems that LSE, despite being a non-US uni, seems to have the strongest presence in the US in terms of alumni relations.

That's probably the truest in finance and other econ/math related sectors where apparently LSE grads are to be found everywhere, but I would guess also true in nonprofit or policy sector as well.

In that category, I guess LSE is as good as it gets for non-US unis.

I totally get your dilemma.

I'm afraid that some of my prospective American employers would look down upon my degree b/c of the length of the program.

And at least in Europe, a one year MSc doesn't comply w the Bologna Process so that become very problematic for students.

(But I found out recently that, if I wanted to, I'd have the opportunity to apply for a one-year Master of International Studies (MIS) from GWU Elliott, if I complete a MSc from LSE, thus making my "degree" two years in length. Though I would need to look more into this option, it somewhat subsides my concerns about the MSc's length. Also this seems great b/c I'm def gonna head to DC anyway once I get my MSc! And I'm told that I could expect higher chance of funding w this program by GWU grads) 

And as I also speak a little bit of French and want to improve it more for personal and professional reasons, Geneva as a location would also be a terrific place. 

I would say in terms of professional development, Geneva would be a better pick, no?

I'm sure Paris has internship/PT work opportunities as well, but prob not on the scale of Geneva.

And if you want to break into the IO scene, it'd make sense to go for Geneva and build connection that you could transfer to other branches of IOs. 

Then again: Paris would be a great city to live in.

oooo. Nice. esp with the opportunity to make your degree 2 years with the second part in USA. Given you wanna work in DC. its a great option. 

The thing is ScPo's curriculum is more eco based and eco is quite a huge deal in development. IHEID's syllabus doesnt have that much emphasis on eco so thats one unattractive thing. The other that Geneva is an expat based location where 80% of people talk in English so for me the scope of learning french seems limited. While in France, french being the national language, it seems better in that sense. 

As for employment, I cant work in Geneva before 6 months while France doesnt put up this restriction. However, ScPo's curriculum is quite extensive in comparison to IHEID's. Also there is only 10 hrs of class per week which gives ample time for self study and intern at IHEID. This isnt the case with ScPo where they are quite miserly about holidays too. 

There are IO's in Paris but well there apparently is no time to even think about it as the course takes almost all the time. Though I guess time management can be quite helpful here. Finally Paris is  a great city, one of the best but Geneva is for Professional development. 

and even making all these points, i am still confused. What do you guys think? 

Well, it depends on what and where you want to do/live for the rest of your life. 

From what I've gathered from HR managers, the first 2 years of employment in your career is dominant where you went to school. After these two years pass, it doesn't really matter. This is not to say that if you have gone to an ivy league school though! That brand value will be carried with you for the rest of your life because of the preconceived ideas about that institution.

I would definitely go with France if you want to learn French. I think SciencePo forces you to learn a new language during your first year. Immersion is the best way to learn English. Parisians are snobs, they won't let you speak English with them so you will be forced to learn as long as you don't stick around in the expat packs.

I thought SciencePo makes all of their students do an internship module? You can probably OD on that module if you like.

Well, foreign policy requires that you learn French at the minimum so I would go with France to be honest...even though I dislike the Parisians.  

oooo. Nice. esp with the opportunity to make your degree 2 years with the second part in USA. Given you wanna work in DC. its a great option. 

The thing is ScPo's curriculum is more eco based and eco is quite a huge deal in development. IHEID's syllabus doesnt have that much emphasis on eco so thats one unattractive thing. The other that Geneva is an expat based location where 80% of people talk in English so for me the scope of learning french seems limited. While in France, french being the national language, it seems better in that sense. 

As for employment, I cant work in Geneva before 6 months while France doesnt put up this restriction. However, ScPo's curriculum is quite extensive in comparison to IHEID's. Also there is only 10 hrs of class per week which gives ample time for self study and intern at IHEID. This isnt the case with ScPo where they are quite miserly about holidays too. 

There are IO's in Paris but well there apparently is no time to even think about it as the course takes almost all the time. Though I guess time management can be quite helpful here. Finally Paris is  a great city, one of the best but Geneva is for Professional development. 

Edited by kittythrones

Indeed, I see your point.

That's also one thing I'm not too sure about one year taught masters. It's too short and the curriculum is too tight for me to learn any other than the core subject. 

And Geneva being expat heavy, that's very true. 

I've read that some ppl live in Geneva for years and don't speak a word of French, b/c they stay in the large expat circles centered around intl. banking sector and IOs north of the river. 

But I think that this could be overcome if you make conscious efforts to force yourself into a French speaking environment.

I would think that even in Paris, you'll most likely be spending quite a bit of time w English speaking students, if anything b/c of the school and studying.

And the 6 month restriction is quite annoying, but since the program's 2 year long, I'd say it's not the biggest deal b/c you'll have more than enough time to do internships and develop connections in the remaining time.

And I was just looking at the PSIA curriculum and it looks like they have an internship module during the third semester?

I wonder if you consider that adequate enough internship opp, or if you want more. 

Their curriculum also seems to be pretty well-balanced btw theory and practice. 

This is a big generalization, but I guess it comes down to whether you want an intense academic experience where you'll learn a lot in class (Paris) or a heavily internship based experience (Geneva). That has to be what you would like to do personally. Professionally international recognition may be a factor, in which case I guess Sciences Po is superior. 

Also:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/CareersAndVacancies/graduateDestinations/eGems/Home.aspx

I stumbled upon LSE employment statistics, for anyone interested.

It's comforting to see that about 89% of alums from my program either found employment or are doing PhDs....

Edited by dpgu800

Also:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/CareersAndVacancies/graduateDestinations/eGems/Home.aspx

I stumbled upon LSE employment statistics, for anyone interested.

It's comforting to see that about 89% of alums from my program either found employment or are doing PhDs....

Thank you dpgu800 for sharing this info. This data is comforting,

Hey guys! 

I received the Eiffel Scholarship from the French govt to study at Sciences Po Paris. :D 

Beyond Incredibly Happy xD 

Congratulations and good luck! 

It was great finding so many people here..so thanks for that Angie :)

Oh wow! Congrats!! LSE will be a wonderful experience, I'm sure! :) Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm not sure you have already or not, but I am new to this thread!

Oh wow! Congrats!! LSE will be a wonderful experience, I'm sure! :) Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm not sure you have already or not, but I am new to this thread!

unagi, what do you mean stats? you mean age, location, height and weight :D ..just kidding..check ur inbox..just sent you message 

Hey guys! 

I received the Eiffel Scholarship from the French govt to study at Sciences Po Paris. :D 

Once again congrats Angie!

Can't wait to hear your FINAL decision he he he...

Hey guys! 

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! 

Congrats Angie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So i guess "Paris, here I come" for you ?????  :D