International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Just hang in there a bit longer! 

I'm still waiting to hear from LSE and UCL....  I'll keep you company  :wacko:

Did you end up applying to KCL? 

Ah indeed we are in the same boat.

I didn't yet. My professors said that it wouldn't be ideal for me as well, given the cost of going and living there paired with limited funding options for Canadians. I'd spend a boatload of money to be pushed through in a year. >< Not ideal. I have other options, but I can't start acting on them until I know about SFS. I'm terrified of finding out now. So many people posted here that they got in or been waitlisted. No one's said they've been rejected which means those will all be released at once undoubtedly. ><

Congrats!

And wow! Do you know where you'll be attending!? So many choices  :o

Thanks! I don't know yet. I'm still trying to figure out additional sources of funding.

Have you decided? It's going to be tough choosing between US and Switzerland. 

Hello Dpgu800, I am also waiting on UCL & SciencePo. Have you heard back anything from UCL? Do you know when we might hear back from them?

They sent me the supplementary forms, that I neglected to fill out, and now I am stuck back in purgatory again. 

On Portico it says 6 weeks, but I highly doubt that.

I've seen on this forum ppl waiting up to 8-9 weeks for their results.

Hopefully it'll be less than that tho.... I submitted my app and it became complete about 7 weeks ago... still no word..... :unsure:

Ah indeed we are in the same boat.

I didn't yet. My professors said that it wouldn't be ideal for me as well, given the cost of going and living there paired with limited funding options for Canadians. I'd spend a boatload of money to be pushed through in a year. >< Not ideal. I have other options, but I can't start acting on them until I know about SFS. I'm terrified of finding out now. So many people posted here that they got in or been waitlisted. No one's said they've been rejected which means those will all be released at once undoubtedly. ><

Urgh... the wait continues...

For me it looks like funding from the schools is out of the question....except for may be GWU

I was so happy when I got into Columbia for MSc Urban Planning (IDEV concentration), but no funding the first years at least

(I can apparently get up to 13k by working as a TA or a RA, which I'm interested in doing... but it's an if, not a definite). 

This makes IHEID look really viable, despite the lower name recognition in the states.... 

Thanks! I don't know yet. I'm still trying to figure out additional sources of funding.

Have you decided? It's going to be tough choosing between US and Switzerland. 

Not yet,,,,

I really don't know what to do between the US schools and IHEID  :(

I'm hoping I could get into LSE or UCL and that could be a viable middle ground.... but that's still up in the air....fingers crossed 

I know...it is going to suck so much. I can not believe that I may have to wait another 6 weeks. I think I am back at the end of the queue. I was being reviewed until they found out I was missing a supplementary form...so now I am back to being "assessed". v _ v I need to know. I need to tell Princeton & KCL if I am going or not...

I know...it is going to suck so much. I can not believe that I may have to wait another 6 weeks. I think I am back at the end of the queue. I was being reviewed until they found out I was missing a supplementary form...so now I am back to being "assessed". v _ v I need to know. I need to tell Princeton & KCL if I am going or not...

:wacko:

By being "assessed", do you mean you're getting this message from Portico?: 

Your references have been received and your application is being assessed.

We may need to contact you by email if we require further information about your application.

You should receive a response approximately six weeks after the application became complete.

Edited by dpgu800

Urgh... the wait continues...

For me it looks like funding from the schools is out of the question....except for may be GWU

I was so happy when I got into Columbia for MSc Urban Planning (IDEV concentration), but no funding the first years at least

(I can apparently get up to 13k by working as a TA or a RA, which I'm interested in doing... but it's an if, not a definite). 

This makes IHEID look really viable, despite the lower name recognition in the states....

At this point I'm worried I might end up waiting too long. SFS reserves the right to wait until April 1st to send out all admissions/rejections. Part of me just wants to call them or email them but I feel like that might be too pushy. My thesis advisor said he already messaged them last week (about what, and what he said to them I have no idea, only that he sent them an email...) I'm just exhausted.

Well, I have hit one whole week with no word. I am beyond happy to hit the weekend. Hope you all are doing well. <3

Hang in there a bit more! Hopefully good news will come!!

YES. Before the supplementary form, I finally had the admissions is "reviewing" your application.

Damn, mine hasn't even gotten beyond the "assessing" phase...... the wait.....

Good luck carefree!! It isn't over until death comes knocking on your door...in which case, I hope you don't open that door. 

Well, I have hit one whole week with no word. I am beyond happy to hit the weekend. Hope you all are doing well. <3

Did you message your admission officer? Say that you have been waiting 6 weeks and that you would hope for a reply by April 15th bc your other schools are asking. Reiterate how it is your top choice. 

Damn, mine hasn't even gotten beyond the "assessing" phase...... the wait.....

Good luck carefree!! It isn't over until death comes knocking on your door...in which case, I hope you don't open that door.

Fingers, toes, arms and legs are crossed. Never wanted anything more. You guys are amazing. Can't say that enough.

Hey guys,

I just received an email from UCL saying:

"We are pleased to be able to inform you that both of your references have been submitted for your application to UCL.  These will be attached to your application then forwarded to the relevant selector for consideration. Please note that it may take up to 12 hours for this to be reflected in the applicant portal."

WTF? 

According to Portico, my references had been received since end of January....Why are they telling me this now!!!!!!!!!!!!! (RAGE)

This better be a sign that the department's reviewing my app....

Finally receievd word from Georgetown. Was a rejection. Apparently because I applied through SFS the process is more rigorous - would have had a better shot through their school of government. It is what it is.

I have options, and I'm surprised by the level of support my existing faculty have given me already in the past few hours. Thanks for all your help this cycle everyone. I'm sure I'll still lurk around. :)

Finally receievd word from Georgetown. Was a rejection. Apparently because I applied through SFS the process is more rigorous - would have had a better shot through their school of government. It is what it is.

I have options, and I'm surprised by the level of support my existing faculty have given me already in the past few hours. Thanks for all your help this cycle everyone. I'm sure I'll still lurk around. :)

:( Terribly sorry to hear. Write us anytime if ever we can be of any help, whether tomorrow or in a year! (I'm pretending I speak for everyone. Perhaps not, but certainly for myself). I'm glad to hear you've got a solid support system there. Can't beat good people around ya, no way no how!

Bad news old chum, it just means that you are now in the "assessing stage" again and they are not reviewing it yet. When you are in the review stage, it will legit say "review" and they will send you that email. Life sucks huh?

Hey guys,

I just received an email from UCL saying:

"We are pleased to be able to inform you that both of your references have been submitted for your application to UCL.  These will be attached to your application then forwarded to the relevant selector for consideration. Please note that it may take up to 12 hours for this to be reflected in the applicant portal."

WTF? 

According to Portico, my references had been received since end of January....Why are they telling me this now!!!!!!!!!!!!! (RAGE)

This better be a sign that the department's reviewing my app....

Omg, I am so sorry CarefreeWritingsonaWall. Good luck for next year!!! If you need any help, please send me an email! I will be more than happy to help in any way that I can. 

Damn, so sorry to hear......

SFS is indeed insanely competitive........

Def stick around, and I second @mych. Def let us know if there's anyway we can be of help in the future!

Bad news old chum, it just means that you are now in the "assessing stage" again and they are not reviewing it yet. When you are in the review stage, it will legit say "review" and they will send you that email. Life sucks huh?

Well, I guess that means I can say, screw UCL.

I submitted my app and all my references mid/late January, and they confirmed through Portico that they received all materials.

It's been over 9 weeks, and now they tell me, uh, they haven't even started looking into my app?

F***ing unbelievable, these ppl.

(sorry for the profanity.... just so frustrating)

EDIT: It looks like I actually received an identical email confirming that my references have been received right after I submitted my app. 

Now they send it to me again. WT* is going!!!!!!!!

Edited by dpgu800

Join the club. I've been waiting since January. I go over to the studentroom and the UK students hear back in like 2 weeks max. International students get to wait like 8 weeks minimum. Da Faque.

As much as I dislike the US educational system, at least we are fair. We give a deadline and we adhere to it and notify everyone at the same time - or at least the immediate rejections & acceptances. 

Damn, so sorry to hear......

SFS is indeed insanely competitive........

Def stick around, and I second @mych. Def let us know if there's anyway we can be of help in the future!

Well, I guess that means I can say, screw UCL.

I submitted my app and all my references mid/late January, and they confirmed through Portico that they received all materials.

It's been over 9 weeks, and now they tell me, uh, they haven't even started looking into my app?

F***ing unbelievable, these ppl.

(sorry for the profanity.... just so frustrating)

EDIT: It looks like I actually received an identical email confirming that my references have been received right after I submitted my app. 

Now they send it to me again. WT* is going!!!!!!!!

Join the club. I've been waiting since January. I go over to the studentroom and the UK students hear back in like 2 weeks max. International students get to wait like 8 weeks minimum. Da Faque.

As much as I dislike the US educational system, at least we are fair. We give a deadline and we adhere to it and notify everyone at the same time - or at least the immediate rejections & acceptances. 

Word. 

They said 6 weeks. And it's okay if they take a little longer like 8 weeks, but I'm already on my 9th week and they haven't even looked at my app?

I can't escape the feeling that, even if i get in, maybe i'm just a cash cow.

...Honestly, in the UK, by the populace, we are seen as cash cows to their system. They think they have the most prestigious universities in the world and the only reason why we would go there is so that we can get the prestigious name. :( I get really upset whenever I read that link.

Check out this link : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2610838

...Honestly, in the UK, by the populace, we are seen as cash cows to their system. They think they have the most prestigious universities in the world and the only reason why we would go there is so that we can get the prestigious name. :( I get really upset whenever I read that link.

Check out this link : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2610838

Ah, thestudentroom.....

Their discontent towards foreign students is quite palpable and disturbing....haha

Can't blame them tho honestly....

Many of my Irish and British friends gave the middle finger to UK unis and decided to do their masters in the Netherlands, Belgium or Germany, etc, where tuition is either nonexistent or extremely low, precisely b/c UK unis are a bit too much eager to attract cash cow non-EU tuition students.....

Sorry to hear that Carefree! Just like Mych said we are all here to help if u need insight/advice/cheering up u name it! We all know how tough admission decision time is, so we are all in this together!

It is still a hell of a lot cheaper than the US schools or at least that is what I am telling myself. Granted, I didn't have to pay for a fee for my application so far, they haven't made anything off me.

And the chance to study & work Abroad is saying a lot... Damn you UCL!!!!

Edited by kittythrones

It is still a hell of a lot cheaper than the US schools or at least that is what I am telling myself. Granted, I didn't have to pay for a fee for my application so far, they haven't made anything off me.

And the chance to study & work Abroad is saying a lot... Damn you UCL!!!!

Lets pray for Scienco Po & LSE now ;). The results should be out in a few days.