International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

First off sorry Mickun Oriole and swissfrog about your rejections. I'm quite shocked you all got rejected to be honest. I really thought still being under consideration meat you still had a chance.

Oriole thank you so much for all this info about LSE! Now that most decisions are in weighing pros and cons will be the next phase! Glad to see ur friends have a balanced opinion it'it's not all hate everything about the school or vice versa.

No problem! LSE has its pluses but it's definitely not the best fit for everyone so it's always good to weigh all the pros and cons. I was also very surprised to see people like you, Mickun and swissfrog rejected but you all have other great options so I'm sure everyone will go on to do great things! I'm assuming you'll be heading off to SciPo then?

Have you considered Switzerland? Most (all?) application deadlines are still over a month away. Cost of living may be high, but tuition fees are generally around CHF4,000 a year for foreign students, and the Swiss government offers a measure of support. The low fees do offset the high cost of living quite a bit.

I thought about it. I was primarily interested in the WTI - World Trade Institute in Bern but it's very German in that part of Switzerland and I'm only bilingual (English and French). My advisor directed me to IHEID as a result. I'm a little worried that studying political economy/international trade law at a European university won't give me the opportunity to keep focusing on North America and SE Asia. But thanks for the tip! I'm definitely going to keep looking into other programs.

Well, I would recommend KCL then. KCL has VERY strong ties to World Trade organization. I saw their placement and a lot of the former professors in political economy used to work for either international banking or world trade organizations. If you want to learn German, I would recommend UCL. You can take a language module in all of their courses. 

And I talked to their admissions officers' - for both KCL & UCL - and they were all so nice, it was scary. Too bad I never had any pleasant experiences with previous UCL graduates. 

Or you can apply to SciencePo. My apologies but I don't know anything about Asian Universities or I would give out recommendations. There are a lot of prestigious schools in Germany and their deadlines haven't passed yet. You can learn fluent German there in 2 years max :). My best friend did and she had no prior knowledge of German before.  

I thought about it. I was primarily interested in the WTI - World Trade Institute in Bern but it's very German in that part of Switzerland and I'm only bilingual (English and French). My advisor directed me to IHEID as a result. I'm a little worried that studying political economy/international trade law at a European university won't give me the opportunity to keep focusing on North America and SE Asia. But thanks for the tip! I'm definitely going to keep looking into other programs.

If I didn't have worry about reputation in the States, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment about IHEID or any of the other top European unis...

It really does make me sad that IHEID has little recognition in the US, despite how excellent their program looks and how much positive feedback alumni give......

And now I got into Columbia for urban planning/IDEV w/o funding... (still waiting on SIPA, LSE, and UCL)

I'd love to go to Columbia but not by paying $25,000USD a semester....

Idk what to do.... :wacko:  

Also:

Did you consider applying to NUS Lee Kuan Yew School??

I heard that program is quite good, tho I'm not sure if it's particularly strong in PE/trade.

Seems like a great professional program. 

It pops on the radar quite often, and I'm sure it'll be greatly respected in SE Asia, seeing as it's in SE Asia haha.

I considered applying b/c of there seemed to be a lot of resource econ/water management experts on the faculty, but decided against it cuz I already had over 10 schools that I applied to.

Edited by dpgu800

KCL might actually be a great option the more I read into it. Basically, my background is in international trade law and state behavior within the WTO, with a focus on China and the United States (less so on others). I've also spent a considerable amount of time focusing on the history of financial crises in my studies. Given that my ultimate end game is a job in the US or Canada in trade law/litigation or policy analysis, reputation unfortunately matters for me as well - my first inclination was to look toward the US given that I studied under the best Canadian PE scholars during UG. I don't have many Canadian options - the schools I would be interested in are stronger in ME comparative politics and security studies (NPSIA, GPSIA etc.) I do want to expand my knowledge of languages wherever I go.

I really appreciate all of your advise. You guys really are so nice to take the time to talk about these options. I'll definitely be doing some reading into these programs and deadlines.

If I didn't have worry about reputation in the States, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment about IHEID or any of the other top European unis...

It really does make me sad that IHEID has little recognition in the US, despite how excellent their program looks and how much positive feedback alumni give......

And now I got into Columbia for urban planning/IDEV w/o funding... (still waiting on SIPA, LSE, and UCL)

I'd love to go to Columbia but not by paying $25,000USD a semester....

Idk what to do.... :wacko:  

Also:

Did you consider applying to NUS Lee Kuan Yew School??

I heard that program is quite good, tho I'm not sure if it's particularly strong in PE/trade.

Seems like a great professional program. 

It pops on the radar quite often, and I'm sure it'll be greatly respected in SE Asia, seeing as it's in SE Asia haha.

I considered applying b/c of there seemed to be a lot of resource econ/water management experts on the faculty, but decided against it cuz I already had over 10 schools that I applied to.

Well, I would recommend KCL then. KCL has VERY strong ties to World Trade organization. I saw their placement and a lot of the former professors in political economy used to work for either international banking or world trade organizations. If you want to learn German, I would recommend UCL. You can take a language module in all of their courses. 

And I talked to their admissions officers' - for both KCL & UCL - and they were all so nice, it was scary. Too bad I never had any pleasant experiences with previous UCL graduates. 

Or you can apply to SciencePo. My apologies but I don't know anything about Asian Universities or I would give out recommendations. There are a lot of prestigious schools in Germany and their deadlines haven't passed yet. You can learn fluent German there in 2 years max :). My best friend did and she had no prior knowledge of German before.  

You are quite welcome. My issue with the US schools is that, most masters in the US are not funded and they are EXPENSIVE. And you are not guaranteed a good job with WTO since everyone in DC went to the top schools. 

KCL & UCL are global brands. All the top firms in the US has heard of them so if you choose to go to one of those schools, it maybe easier to get a job. I know WTO participates in the KCL career fairs AND they are EXTREMELY active in helping their graduates find jobs. According to UK polls, KCL actually has the greatest in job placements. Please keep in mind that I am also incredibly biased *even tho I didn't not attend their but I have colleagues that are in the UK and they all preach KCL*

UCL, on the other hand, if you want to go into IB banking & policy in the UK, I would go for. IB & policy recruits heavily in UCL but not as heavily in KCL. The issue is that their job placement isn't that great for internationals. But if you land an internship the moment you step into the UK and you find a place that is reputable, you may find a job the moment you graduate. 

Those are my two cents - what I got from thestudentroom forums :)

As a Canadian, I'm looking to a career outside the US job market. I would only consider a position in the states if it was research based. The problem for me is that I'm still stuck between an academic oriented career (going from an MA to a PhD, from there to teaching) as opposed to a policy/research job in the field (wherein an MA is enough to get my foot in the door in most places). But that's excellent to hear. I'm worried though - KCL's MA program in political economy only takes up to 30 students a year.

You are quite welcome. My issue with the US schools is that, most masters in the US are not funded and they are EXPENSIVE. And you are not guaranteed a good job with WTO since everyone in DC went to the top schools. 

KCL & UCL are global brands. All the top firms in the US has heard of them so if you choose to go to one of those schools, it maybe easier to get a job. I know WTO participates in the KCL career fairs AND they are EXTREMELY active in helping their graduates find jobs. According to UK polls, KCL actually has the greatest in job placements. Please keep in mind that I am also incredibly biased *even tho I didn't not attend their but I have colleagues that are in the UK and they all preach KCL*

UCL, on the other hand, if you want to go into IB banking & policy in the UK, I would go for. IB & policy recruits heavily in UCL but not as heavily in KCL. The issue is that their job placement isn't that great for internationals. But if you land an internship the moment you step into the UK and you find a place that is reputable, you may find a job the moment you graduate. 

Those are my two cents - what I got from thestudentroom forums :)

*shrugs* They are pretty friendly. I didn't know KCL only accepted 30 students :(. Fail on my part at least. I think they are still accepting. I would send in an application anyway and to other schools before you converse with your professors. Have back up plans when you converse with your professors. 

Never hurts to apply. They didn't charge me an application fee and you will know in like 4 - 5 weeks max.

That's what I read on their website. Their intake for an MA in political economy is max 30. Hrm. I don't want to send in an app before I know about SFS. I know it sounds silly. It may well be that I really do need to take a year off to work. I've just always felt that I can't get a job/internship/or place to volunteer related to my field (IPE) without having an MA...I also don't want to apply and request my profs send in additional LORs without running the idea by them first.

Based on last year's results, SFS should be sending out acceptances/rejections this week which makes tomorrow and every additional day terrifying. We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted on the results and what I decide to do. Again, I can't say thanks enough for all of your help.

*shrugs* They are pretty friendly. I didn't know KCL only accepted 30 students :(. Fail on my part at least. I think they are still accepting. I would send in an application anyway and to other schools before you converse with your professors. Have back up plans when you converse with your professors. 

Never hurts to apply. They didn't charge me an application fee and you will know in like 4 - 5 weeks max.

Thank you everyone for your warmest encouragement.

I am under the impression that IHEID prefers relatively fresh graduates with excellent academic and extra curriculum activities record. 

It made me think of the advice from my master professor. He was admitted to all top tier US schools in economics related subjects, like Harvard, Yale Chicago, Princeton etc. But curious enough, he just applied to 3 UK schools which were Cam, Ox and LSE, and only Ox accepted him and gave him some scholarships. His advice was apply as many schools as possible because you dont know their selection criteria and whether they wil give you money or not. So I regret not listening to him. 

Over the last years in Argentina, I have trained myself to be a wine expert (to be hoenst just a great wine lover). I can be your guide to some wine tasting events and winery tours in France.  

Good luck everyone. Hope  to see you guys in Paris. 

Over the last years in Argentina, I have trained myself to be a wine expert (to be hoenst just a great wine lover). I can be your guide to some wine tasting events and winery tours in France.  

If you're interested in wine there are actually some great courses on it for instance 'Wine and Wine Research' at Plumpton College in association with the University of Brighton :), remember reading about it and finding it quite interesting :P.

I was considering whether to post anything at all, but here it goes:

I am very sorry for everyone who experienced the IHEID muck-up. I am not in any way involved in the admissions process, and even internal candidates got the wrong accept emails, only to later find out that they had been accepted. Current students are discussing it, and we're planning on bringing it up with the administration so that something like this does not happen again, ever! Nevertheless, let me just emphasize again how sorry I am! I also hope you won't take this as an indication of IHEID as a school, because, while the administration can indeed drive anyone up the wall (believe me, I know...), the academics luckily do not depend on the administration!

@Carefree:

I am also interested in IPE, although not from a legal perspective. While it is difficult to find something without an MA, it is doable, IMO. For my part, I did a well-paying internship in-between my BA and MA. Especially if you're willing to branch out a little, it is possible. KCL is a good university with good placement, and especially if you want to go into academia, a M.A. like that might be better suited than a professional M.A. in the US. I also saw that you applied to the International Law program at IHEID. May I ask what your background is? What kind of PhD would you pursue, if you were to pursue one? Crossing my fingers for you for SFS, although I'm sure you'd find your way regardless! B)

I was considering whether to post anything at all, but here it goes:

I am very sorry for everyone who experienced the IHEID muck-up. I am not in any way involved in the admissions process, and even internal candidates got the wrong accept emails, only to later find out that they had been accepted. Current students are discussing it, and we're planning on bringing it up with the administration so that something like this does not happen again, ever! Nevertheless, let me just emphasize again how sorry I am! I also hope you won't take this as an indication of IHEID as a school, because, while the administration can indeed drive anyone up the wall (believe me, I know...), the academics luckily do not depend on the administration!

@Carefree:

I am also interested in IPE, although not from a legal perspective. While it is difficult to find something without an MA, it is doable, IMO. For my part, I did a well-paying internship in-between my BA and MA. Especially if you're willing to branch out a little, it is possible. KCL is a good university with good placement, and especially if you want to go into academia, a M.A. like that might be better suited than a professional M.A. in the US. I also saw that you applied to the International Law program at IHEID. May I ask what your background is? What kind of PhD would you pursue, if you were to pursue one? Crossing my fingers for you for SFS, although I'm sure you'd find your way regardless! B)

I'm a current undergraduate student at McGill. I'm Canadian by birth. I've spent the past four years as engrossed in IPE as I can be - we only have 2 poli econ professors but they're great and taught by different generations of top scholars in the field. I've spent the past year working as a research assistant for one and will be working full time for him this summer. This semester I'm writing my undergraduate thesis as well on state behavior within the WTO litigation system. I haven't had much luck with internship placements here. I'm bilingual, but my spoken French is not that great, though my comprehension is 100%. Quebec stresses that anyone who works in the provinces needs to be 100% fluent in French (mostly because of who is in power right now). I flopped a few interviews already, not for lack of effort. A lot of places are scared to get caught and thus be fined for hiring someone who's not 100% fluent. It's an awful situation because I love my school but I can't work in the immediate area surrounding it. So I've stuck to research, and I love it.

To be honest I haven't thought that much about a PhD. I never thought I wanted to do one. I know I'd like to continue focusing on litigation in the WTO DSU in combination with financial market behavior to some degree. I've never been able to put together a big enough research question for something like that in that sense. It's something to consider in the future maybe when I hear back from SFS. I applied to international law programs with an interest in continuing with my studies of institutions like the WTO, IMF and UN. SAIS has an international law and organizations concentration as well. SFS to a degree - it's a subfield concentration within their Global and Security Studies major, but they have amazing IPE scholars in their faculty. I think the ultimate goal is to work and research in combination, whether it's teaching or policy analysis. We'll see.

In emailing my advisor, and other mentors this weekend, the answer was pretty much the same: calm down. xD I feel like such a nutcase. 

So i received this email today, and i know i'm staring at another looong weeeeek  :angry: When will this ever end?!

Dear Applicant,

I am contacting you regarding your application. We have tried to give out all decisions last Friday but were unable to do so as we were waiting for the Scholarship Committee to give us their decision.

We would need a few more days and you will hear from us before Friday.

Thank you for your patience.

:mellow:

I am in such a dilemma...I am having hard time deciding between LSE and IHEID... any ideas, cons and pros of these two uni is highly appreciated!!! Such as alumni network, job placement, internship opportunities and so on....

I am in such a dilemma...I am having hard time deciding between LSE and IHEID... any ideas, cons and pros of these two uni is highly appreciated!!! Such as alumni network, job placement, internship opportunities and so on....

If you look through some of the previous pages of this thread both IHEID and LSE have been discussed quite recently for their pros and cons :). Beyond job prospects that seem to be your main criteria, consider departmental specialities and whether there are any academics/topics that particularly interest you for which I would direct you to the university websites.

Edited by ZakV

Which programs at both schools?

If you look through some of the previous pages of this thread both IHEID and LSE have been discussed quite recently for their pros and cons :). Beyond job prospects that seem to be your main criteria, consider departmental specialities and whether there are any academics/topics that particularly interest you for which I would direct you to the university websites.

Thanks ZakV, but in previous thread, they talk about the cost...I am more concerns about internship while at school and job after my graduation...

Have you already turned down SAIS?

For all non EU students considering studying in the UK I came across this interesting but quite scary article about working post graduation:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/sarah-pilchick/new-visa-rules-hurt-forei_b_1838560.html

Couple months back I was going through the visa rules in the UK, and jesus was it convoluted....

And this is coming from a person who had to take care (with a help of a lawyer of course) of his and his family's immigration paperwork in the US... 

The vibe I got from the UK Border Agency was that, basically, "unless you're a doctor or an engineer or a nurse, please don't even dream of coming to the UK."

Special schemes for postgraduate degree holders have been closed for years. Even if you're lucky enough to find an organization willing to back you and willing to pay yo more than 20k, your job has to be posted online on the jobplus website. The job posting stays there, and only after no UK citizen takes your job for like a month, you can get started on actually getting a work visa. 

Australia has a similar scheme, but it's not as a restrictive and the requirements are much lower....

Even the US immigration scheme (which I'm not a big fan of due to my personal exp) allows to get a job if someone is willing to sponsor you, regardless of some bureaucratic rule. 

I don't intend to stay in the UK forever if I get accepted to one of the schools there, but it'd be nice to have the possibility of working or interning there for a year or two...

It's all these restrictions that make me less optimistic about international mobility and cling onto employability in the US...

Couple months back I was going through the visa rules in the UK, and jesus was it convoluted....

And this is coming from a person who had to take care (with a help of a lawyer of course) of his and his family's immigration paperwork in the US... 

The vibe I got from the UK Border Agency was that, basically, "unless you're a doctor or an engineer or a nurse, please don't even dream of coming to the UK."

Special schemes for postgraduate degree holders have been closed for years. Even if you're lucky enough to find an organization willing to back you and willing to pay yo more than 20k, your job has to be posted online on the jobplus website. The job posting stays there, and only after no UK citizen takes your job for like a month, you can get started on actually getting a work visa. 

Australia has a similar scheme, but it's not as a restrictive and the requirements are much lower....

Even the US immigration scheme (which I'm not a big fan of due to my personal exp) allows to get a job if someone is willing to sponsor you, regardless of some bureaucratic rule. 

I don't intend to stay in the UK forever if I get accepted to one of the schools there, but it'd be nice to have the possibility of working or interning there for a year or two...

It's all these restrictions that make me less optimistic about international mobility and cling onto employability in the US...

Yes I've been taking immigration rules into consideration and boy! I thought the US was complicated and here I am reading about UK student visa rules and it is daunting... I mean taking on loans and such to afford tuition and not even being given the chance to work a year or two before being asked to leave really sucks! If a great professional opportunity comes knocking, you want to have the possibility to take the job or else why pay through the roof for a top tier school?! I now have to look closely into French student visa laws.....

It used to be that the more qualified and educated you were, the more international mobility you had. How things have changed...

Yes I've been taking immigration rules into consideration and boy! I thought the US was complicated and here I am reading about UK student visa rules and it is daunting... I mean taking on loans and such to afford tuition and not even being given the chance to work a year or two before being asked to leave really sucks! If a great professional opportunity comes knocking, you want to have the possibility to take the job or else why pay through the roof for a top tier school?! I now have to look closely into French student visa laws.....

It used to be that the more qualified and educated you were, the more international mobility you had. How things have changed...

Daunting and depressing indeed! But based on my research it seems like there's a tiny bit more of a leeway for int'l students who just finished school in the UK - http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/The-next-stage/Working-after-your-studies/Employment-Tier-2/Resident-Labour-Market-Test-and-exemptions/

Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT)

In order to pass the resident labour market test, an employer must have advertised the job in an appropriate way for the sector and be able to show that no suitably skilled settled worker can do the job. The Home Office decides where the employer must advertise the job, for how long, and the information that must be included in the advertisement

Exemptions from the RLMT

Students

You are also exempt from the resident labour market test, qualify for the new entrant wage and you can apply in the UK if you meet all of the following requirements:

• you have or were most recently granted student immigration permission (this includes Tier 4 leave and student, Student Union sabbatical officer and postgraduate doctor or dentist leave under the Rules that preceded Tier 4)
  • you have completed at least 12 months of study in the UK towards a UK PhD, or you have completed and passed a UK recognised Bachelor's or Master's degree or a UK Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) or Professional Graduate Diploma of Education (PGDE) – if you do not have your certificate, you can submit other evidence (academic transcript or reference) that must meet the requirements in the Tier 2 Policy Guidance
  • you studied this course at a UK recognised or listed body or at an institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence (and that is still on the register of Tier 4 sponsors on the date on which you obtain your qualification)
  • you studied this course during your most recent period of immigration permission (leave) or during a period of continuous leave that includes this most most recent period of leave
  • you carried out your study or research for this course when you had immigration permission that did not prevent you from studying or carrying out research in the UK

Although your job is exempt from the resident labour market test, it must meet the skills level and the minimum wage level and you must meet the English language requirement and the maintenance requirement.

-----

So my understanding is employers don't have to prove that there was no suitable UK national to take on the job if you just finished university in the UK.

BUT the fact still remains that it's extremely difficult and unlikely to be able to land such a job straight out of school - UK, why won't you let us int'l folks stick around for a few more months? Sigh..I wonder what the visa regulations are for int'l students in the UK to work in other EU countries..