International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Just got rejected from SAIS. Very personalized letter, which isn't what I expected. SFS is a longshot at this point. Guess I can tell my Mum to start preparing the basement suite at home...

Sorry to hear carefreewritingsonthewall.... Stay positive, something will work out... Sending tons of prayers and hugs ur way..

I am very sorry for everyone who had suffered this drama today.  I wish you all have other better choices to go and can relax a bit during the weekend. 

I have been browsing this thread without posting anything, but your information and chatting made me feel much better during the waiting process. Thank you sincerely.

Hello friends,

I'm a longtime reader/creeper, first time commenter. I went though the same hell as all of you, although because I live in Vancouver I awoke to a rejection and an acceptance. Nevertheless, the turmoil was the same. I've also been accepted to SOAS (which I rejected) and Sciences Po. Still waiting on Uppsala University, which sounds pretty random but my sister lives in Sweden so thats why I applied there.

Anyone else here also accepted to Sciences Po? I'm going to the Master of International Security. Although I also applied for the dual degree with LSE but those results aren't until May. The waiting game never ends, eh (<-- how Canadian of me). 

I wonder on what grounds they refused applicants to IHEID because I really feel like I had a good shot. I wish I could back to sleep and wake up to only that initial acceptance letter. Ah well, bring on booze.

So sorry for all those got whiplashed by this fiasco....and those who heard disappointing news today....

I see that many of you have other great schools to look forward (LSE, SOAS, Hertie, UCL, etc), and that gives me hope!

And for those still waiting, I'm sure you'll hear good news soon!

I wish you both the best of luck!!!

As for me :wacko: , just this morning I got an offer from Columbia GSAPP (NOT SIPA, still waiting)...............but with no funding whatsoever.

I was initially overjoyed, and now I'm about to cry after looking at the 14/15 tuition rate......

$25,000 PER SEMESETER

They're really properly trying to milk me..... I'm inclined to just say piss off and stick with IHEID....

Not to detract from everyone's grief but I am a tad bit confused right now and would greatly appreciate whatever help I can get. 

I applied to UCL & SciencePo very late but relatively early compared to my UK friends.

For SciencePo, I awoke this morning to an "admissible" email. It stated that they are sending my application in front of the jury committee. I thought my application has been under "review" since it has passed the initial 45 days. Does anyone have a timeline when I may hear back? I will need to ask for an extension from other schools that I got into. 

For UCL, for some odd reason, I got sent a supplementary application questionnaire. Did anyone have to fill one of these out when you applied to UCL? My application went from assessed ->reviewed -> assessed after I got told to fill one of these out. Would anyone know what timeline I can expect to hear back something?

Edited by kittythrones

Best wishes to all those that finally heard back from IHEID. I was going to say - prior to today's fiasco - that IHEID has been top notich in its communication with its applicants, and that Miss Eicher did a great job of keeping everyone informed in both French and English. But, I do believe that it was completely unacceptable to ignore their own rules over binding decisions through e-mail (and, to top it all off, issue a mediocore justification/apology two hours later). I also found this passage to be completely tasteless and classless: "According to your academic and/or professional background,  some of the Institute's other programmes might be of interest to you, such as the Summer Programmes on International Affairs and International Trade, or the Executive Programmes for professionals. More information can be found on our website (http://graduateinstitute.ch)"

Grec1, I applied to the same program and was waitlisted as well. Any ideas on the process from here? I certainly hope that we won't have to wait until the end of April. I really don't know if I can live with such uncertainty for so long.

Nope. I'll I got from the email was that they'll offer spots on a rolling basis as soon as people start to decline their admission, which could technically start next week. They also apparently ranked all of the people who got waitlisted, but since they won't give out that information it is hard to tell if we really have a chance or not.

Luckily I've already been accepted at a different program with funding, but IHEID would clearly be the better option academic and career wise. However, I do need to accept or refuse that offer before April 15th so I would really like to know if I am able to get a spot at IHEID or not.

For those who are still considering LSE, I thought I'd share some details on LSE that I got from colleagues who did their master's there (bear in mind these are only the opinions of 3 people who were in the int'l development department so it's not reflective of every student's experience):

• Faculty: Found them to be amazing - very knowledgeable and approachable
  • Classes: Mandatory lectures are large (~40-60 people) but they’re broken up into seminar classes (1.5 hrs/wk) which are smaller, around 10-12 people (led by PhD TAs). Non-mandatory classes are smaller as well. Options to submit optional essays for feedback
  • Courses comprehensive enough and packed in a lot of information so that you do acquire great deal of knowledge even though the program’s short
  • Lots of dissertation support provided through advisor and seminars
  • Consultancy projects: Those with good groups had very valuable, useful experiences but those with bad groups didn’t – so it’s hit and miss
  • Students: wide range of backgrounds, perspectives – many mid-career. Very stimulating environmen
  • Found reputation of school extremely helpful when applying/interviewing to jobs

Cons

• Campus is always crowded
  • The program doesn’t allow you to do very in-depth research (since you only have to write a 10,000 word dissertation) – would be a con if you’re planning on doing your PhD in the future etc.
  • Jobs pay very minimal wages in London (or are unpaid internships)
  • Career services are okay but pretty focused on jobs in the EU which leaves out non-EU people

In the end it seems like your experience really depends on how much you put into it – the faculty members are very engaged but you need to make the effort to approach them, and there are plenty of extracurricular activities available if you’re interested too. Overall they said they don't regret any of it and say that it was a worthwhile investments for their future. (Not that every LSE alumni would feel this way of course, I've read some horror stories as well so it's always good to keep in mind both sides!)

Also, very very surprised to see some people here that were rejected from IHEID. It seems like people with extremely strong profiles were rejected -not even put on the waiting list- so I guess they're being particularly stringent with their standards this year around. Ah well, you all seem to have (or will have very soon) other very promising options so let's try not to get too dejected!

No more torture.

Rejected

Bye iheid

I'm so sorry to hear that. See this is what I was talking about - you were one of the people here with an extremely strong profile so I'm really flabbergasted to see this. I know it stings and these words are rather meaningless but you've already been accepted to two amazing schools so try to take heart in that at least (but I know this is much easier said than done from personal experience).

I was refused as well. Mickun88, you have my best wishes, as your profile sounded amazing and it's crazy to think they are refusing people like you. Overall, I am very disappointed by their treatment of students and have a feeling that far from being evaluated one on one, we were refused in mass all today, with only 5-10 mn being given given to our applications.

I'm so sorry to hear that. See this is what I was talking about - you were one of the people here with an extremely strong profile so I'm really flabbergasted to see this. I know it stings and these words are rather meaningless but you've already been accepted to two amazing schools so try to take heart in that at least (but I know this is much easier said than done from personal experience).

I'm also pretty perplexed!

I feel like many other people on this thread has had more WE, better grades, and/or are already admitted to LSE and other top tier schools...

And I was really, really surprised that I was selected despite my relatively short WE (1-1.5yrs)... I don't mean to rub it in for other people, but I was just genuinely surprised....

I'm also pretty perplexed!

I feel like many other people on this thread has had more WE, better grades, and/or are already admitted to LSE and other top tier schools...

And I was really, really surprised that I was selected despite my relatively short WE (1-1.5yrs)... I don't mean to rub it in for other people, but I was just genuinely surprised....

That just means you have that something extra special! And I don't think you need to worry about LSE, it seems like IHEID is being much more selective than other comparative schools this year so if you got into IHEID you're a shoo-in for LSE! They just like to take their sweet time sending out responses to applications.

Does anyone know how LSE's rolling deadline works for their MA in Political Economy? Their website says they're still accepting applications. My UG advisor said it wasn't a good fit for my research interests as a program and I saw that for myself when I read up in their department, but now I'm curious.

I applied to it. They wrote that they will get back to you in 6 weeks but it is more like 8 weeks. Umm, it is more of a first come - first serve basis. The later you apply, the harder it is to get in. 

I would recommend King's College & UCL. They are both still open =). Good luck

Edited by kittythrones

For those who are still considering LSE, I thought I'd share some details on LSE that I got from colleagues who did their master's there (bear in mind these are only the opinions of 3 people who were in the int'l development department so it's not reflective of every student's experience):

• Faculty: Found them to be amazing - very knowledgeable and approachable
  • Classes: Mandatory lectures are large (~40-60 people) but they’re broken up into seminar classes (1.5 hrs/wk) which are smaller, around 10-12 people (led by PhD TAs). Non-mandatory classes are smaller as well. Options to submit optional essays for feedback
  • Courses comprehensive enough and packed in a lot of information so that you do acquire great deal of knowledge even though the program’s short
  • Lots of dissertation support provided through advisor and seminars
  • Consultancy projects: Those with good groups had very valuable, useful experiences but those with bad groups didn’t – so it’s hit and miss
  • Students: wide range of backgrounds, perspectives – many mid-career. Very stimulating environmen
  • Found reputation of school extremely helpful when applying/interviewing to jobs
Cons

• Campus is always crowded
  • The program doesn’t allow you to do very in-depth research (since you only have to write a 10,000 word dissertation) – would be a con if you’re planning on doing your PhD in the future etc.
  • Jobs pay very minimal wages in London (or are unpaid internships)
  • Career services are okay but pretty focused on jobs in the EU which leaves out non-EU people
In the end it seems like your experience really depends on how much you put into it – the faculty members are very engaged but you need to make the effort to approach them, and there are plenty of extracurricular activities available if you’re interested too. Overall they said they don't regret any of it and say that it was a worthwhile investments for their future. (Not that every LSE alumni would feel this way of course, I've read some horror stories as well so it's always good to keep in mind both sides!)

First off sorry Mickun Oriole and swissfrog about your rejections. I'm quite shocked you all got rejected to be honest. I really thought still being under consideration meat you still had a chance.

Oriole thank you so much for all this info about LSE! Now that most decisions are in weighing pros and cons will be the next phase! Glad to see ur friends have a balanced opinion it'it's not all hate everything about the school or vice versa.

Hey everybody! 

this thread exploded in the past couple of days… I hadn't checked in quite some time. 

I've seen some new members if I am not mistaken so for those of you who have decided to attend Sciences Po check out the FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1447914832109226/

Hope you're all having a good weekend :)

Edited by DJacobs

Oh, I forgot to completely answer your question. There is a deadline, yes, but you should be very wary about it. UK deadlines aren't the same as US deadlines - where everyone has a fair game for the same amount of seats. Since it is rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the better chance you will get in. 

For instance, pretend that there are 20 seats available in LSE and they opened their registration on 01.11.2014 (November). By March, maybe 15 of those seats are taken. If you apply in May, there maybe 2 seats left and 20 people apply, LSE may not fill any of those seats because they want someone better so the rejects will hear a lot faster and if you are on the unofficial waitlist hell, you may have to wait until August to hear back from them. OR all of those seats are taken even though the deadline says August 2014 is the last date to apply. 

So I would highly recommend that you apply RIGHT away. 

Does anyone know how LSE's rolling deadline works for their MA in Political Economy? Their website says they're still accepting applications. My UG advisor said it wasn't a good fit for my research interests as a program and I saw that for myself when I read up in their department, but now I'm curious.

Oh, I forgot to completely answer your question. There is a deadline, yes, but you should be very wary about it. UK deadlines aren't the same as US deadlines - where everyone has a fair game for the same amount of seats. Since it is rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the better chance you will get in. 

For instance, pretend that there are 20 seats available in LSE and they opened their registration on 01.11.2014 (November). By March, maybe 15 of those seats are taken. If you apply in May, there maybe 2 seats left and 20 people apply, LSE may not fill any of those seats because they want someone better so the rejects will hear a lot faster and if you are on the unofficial waitlist hell, you may have to wait until August to hear back from them. OR all of those seats are taken even though the deadline says August 2014 is the last date to apply. 

So I would highly recommend that you apply RIGHT away. 

Thanks Kittythrones! I'm still waiting on SFS, but I will be meeting with professors and advisors in the coming week to sort out what they think I should do next. With some of the UK schools still open because of rolling admissions, it might not hurt for me to try and apply for this season. I appreciate your feedback. Definitely worth considering.

Thanks Kittythrones! I'm still waiting on SFS, but I will be meeting with professors and advisors in the coming week to sort out what they think I should do next. With some of the UK schools still open because of rolling admissions, it might not hurt for me to try and apply for this season. I appreciate your feedback. Definitely worth considering.

Have you considered Switzerland? Most (all?) application deadlines are still over a month away. Cost of living may be high, but tuition fees are generally around CHF4,000 a year for foreign students, and the Swiss government offers a measure of support. The low fees do offset the high cost of living quite a bit.

Swiss universities tend not to be among the first things people think of when contemplating universities, but a number are well ranked (if rankings are your thing). In the 2013/14 Times University World Rankings for example, ETH Zurich (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich) is ranked 14th, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne is 37th, University of Basel is 74th, University of Zurich 83rd for social sciences, and these on a global level.

Swiss Master programmes tend to be two years, and also tend to combine theory with practice, which is always a plus in my book. The following link lists all the English Master programmes officially available in Switzerland: http://www.crus.ch/information-programme/studying-in-switzerland/study-offers/study-programmes-in-english.html?L=2

Alternatively, the Netherlands also offers many strong programmes you can still apply to. A large plus is that Dutch unis are affordable (around €3,000 p.a.), generally one-year courses, and cost of living is low. Plus English is very widely spoken. In the same Times University World Rankings, Universiteit van Amsterdam is ranked #34 worldwide and #1 in continental Europe for social sciences, with Rotterdam, Leiden, Tilburg, Utrecht, Maastricht, Wageningen and Groningen also in the top 100 globally.

I'm not sure of the specific course you're looking into or if these are universities you would even consider, but if it's in the general field of international law or international / policy studies, you'll find things there.

*take rankings with a large dollop of salt. Sciences Po is ranked 98th in the world for social sciences according to the same table, and places like IHEID and Hertie aren't even listed but are highly prized by the right people in the right industries.

Edited by mych