International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Hot damn, this thread is like fire and brimstone!

I was also greeted by my inbox this morning with the, "You have been admitted, um, Psyche!" e-mail.  Granted IHEID was not one of my top choices but for those who it was and the unprofessional manner in which they have handled these decisions has got to really sting.  If I recall didn't their application portal crash several times down to the wire or something preventing people from submitting their apps on time?  Lol, I mean as a popular international graduate institution they really need to assume a better handle of their administrative process because this will undoubtedly create unwanted negativity around the program's image.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted thus far and I wish the best to everyone who is still under consideration!  Hopefully there is good news at the end of the tunnel for you! :)

I sent an email as well Mickun! But did not get a response.

It  does not matter cuz they are not going to tell us anything. 

After reading his answer, I now doubt that we are still under consideration is because of the fact that they have not proccessed our applications not because of us being considered for scholarships. This means we may still be rejected next week. 

Sorry for being pessimistic, I think there is a high possibility that we be rejected or waitlisted. I do not see admission is on its way to us. 

Under-Consideration people, lets have a nice weekend fearing the bad news that is coming to us on Monday (or next friday maybe).

It  does not matter cuz they are not going to tell us anything. 

After reading his answer, I now doubt that we are still under consideration is because of the fact that they have not proccessed our applications not because of us being considered for scholarships. This means we may still be rejected next week. 

Sorry for being pessimistic, I think there is a high possibility that we be rejected or waitlisted. I do not see admission is on its way to us. 

Under-Consideration people, lets have a nice weekend fearing the bad news that is coming to us on Monday (or next friday maybe).

Yes. That is a distinct possibility. Do you think that they'll be sending out more admission decisions today? It's around 3:30 pm in Geneva.

I have to work on my thesis. But haven't been able to concentrate for a week now.  It's too much to handle. :/

The same to me. Still 'under consideration'. No e-mails.

fikries, One of my friend called IHEID admission office and was told him that if you did not get any email and your online status has not changed, one should not worry about it..

Details please 

Mickun88, he was told that they wanted to send out all the decisions today but due to unseen circumstances, they had to postponed until next week..They are working on it!! So that means those students who are under consideration, have to go through weekend long stress.. 

My my I did not know I would wake up to such drama! All I have to say is WOW that is crazy!! I just spent 20 min reading all previous posts!

I'm so glad I was sleeping and when I woke up I got the 'you have been admitted' email I didn't even have time to be excited because then I saw the 'just kidding you are refused' email! Who does that?

I'm so sorry for all refused candidates, but I for one am relieved this ordeal with IHEID is over... I was losing sleep over finding out and truly no school is worth that much anguish!

For those of you still under consideration, hang in there and good luck next week!!

@CarefreeWritingsontheWall, don`t get discouraged. You will most likely get admitted to at least one of your choices. Even if you don`t, it is not the end of the world. After being postponed once, I decided that the likelihood of me getting rejected is fairly high. Since I only applied to IHEID, that means taking an year out. I know it is kind of scary but also exciting :)  It is a chance to travel, gain some work experience, do the Spanish course you always wanted but never found the time to do and so on. What was it...when God (fate, the great blue, or whatever it is you believe in :)) closes a door, he opens a window :)))

Yes, I did apply for the scholarship. I am not sure, however, if that has much to do with the delay. MA Development Studies applications seem to be processed slower than others. I am kind of dying to know, if 'under consideration' is after all a good sign, or if it just means that they are yet to start sending rejections... Any thoughts?

Thanks all. I'll still kick around here. You are all so kind and such sweet people. I do still have two applications, but I'm not hopeful about them. My GRE was a trainwreck (complete with technical failure in the middle of it - temp power outage to the building in the middle of writing it meant I had to sit for 30 minutes in dead silence not knowing what was going on). My LORs addressed it because I had to accept the scores because I couldn't afford to write it again (and some personal things were going on at the same time). Ever since that happened, I've just been filled with dread. Desperately trying to stay optimistic.

I've just gotten off the phone with IHEID. Apparently the admissions office is now closed, and no further results will be released today. Those of us who have yet to hear anything will definitely have to wait until next week.

Edited by mych

My my I did not know I would wake up to such drama! All I have to say is WOW that is crazy!! I just spent 20 min reading all previous posts!

I'm so glad I was sleeping and when I woke up I got the 'you have been admitted' email I didn't even have time to be excited because then I saw the 'just kidding you are refused' email! Who does that?

I'm so sorry for all refused candidates, but I for one am relieved this ordeal with IHEID is over... I was losing sleep over finding out and truly no school is worth that much anguish!

For those of you still under consideration, hang in there and good luck next week!!

:( I'm so sorry to hear, alchyna! You've been here since day 1, and I know how agonising the long wait has been for you. Will you definitely be opting for wine & cheese at ScPo now, or is LSE still in the running?

:( I'm so sorry to hear, alchyna! You've been here since day 1, and I know how agonising the long wait has been for you. Will you definitely be opting for wine & cheese at ScPo now, or is LSE still in the running?

Thanks Mych!

Well thankfully I have great options so the blow is not that hard on me! Don't get me wrong it's always disappointing to get rejected but I'm going to have huge slices of cake tomorrow ha ha ha

I'm not sure yet what I will pick I'm waiting for a scholarship decision from Sciences Po and I will go from there!

You know I just wish they had put me out of my misery sooner! It's not the rejection that was most painful it's the endless waiting

Edited by alchyna

Thanks Mych!

Well thankfully I have great options so the blow is not that hard on me! Don't get me wrong it's always disappointing to get rejected but I'm going to have huge slices of cake tomorrow ha ha ha

I'm not sure yet what I will pick I'm waiting for a scholarship decision from Sciences Po and I will go from there!

You know I just wish they had put me out of my misery sooner! It's not the rejection that was most painful it's the endless waiting

This is no freaking way u got rejected. I seriously doubt their admission criteria. 

It seems to me that they want graduates right out of college. 

I will be joining you very soon. I am quite sure now that they are not going to accept me. 

Alchyna. We will meet up in PARIS

I've been reading the thread all day, and WHAT A MESS! Really sorry for all you guys :( Rejection is bad enough and this was just ugly.  Look at the silver lining, atleast you all know. Some of us are still waiting and that means another long weekend. Can't even get drunk because of all the anxiousness. 

For everyone who suffered through the whole acceptance/rejection turbulence I am really sorry you guys. I hope you guys get your other top choices and I believe there are better things planned for each and everyone of you. I know sounds clinched right now but take it from someone who was rejected herself from IHEID, that things do work out fine. :)

Others who are under consideration, I wish you tons of luck. I don't think you guys will be rejected but admitted with scholarship, admitted or wait listed cuz if you guys were to be rejected you would have today itself.

Alchyna I feel so bad that you out of all people didn't get in cuz you have been amongst the very first of people who started the discussion on this thread. Waiting with us since November. Though you have some other amazing offers and I hope you get the scholarship from AFD and so do I and we meet up Sciences Po. I really do.

Much much love and hugs. :)

This is no freaking way u got rejected. I seriously doubt their admission criteria. 

It seems to me that they want graduates right out of college. 

I will be joining you very soon. I am quite sure now that they are not going to accept me. 

Alchyna. We will meet up in PARIS

Thank you mickun! And thank you to all those I've been talking to from early on in this thread and our one and only OP Angie for creating a thread where we all found each other!

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread and I hope next year's students will come and read this and see that we have been through everything together: the ups, the downs, the rejection, the anxiety and of course the joys!

I guess maybe because I have all you guys and I know I'm not just alone in this agonizing process... it makes everything easier!

Mickun, my guess is also that they are looking for more recent graduates for the Mdev, it is after all a 2 yr program which is a long time for someone like me who has been working already for several years. But one can speculate all day for the reasons of rejection! I too have weaknesses in my background so who knows...

But my impression was that it was not as selective as Sciences Po or LSE. It seems like they did try to keep the size of interdisciplinary programs to a reasonable amount this year. I'm sure those still under consideration have a good chance of being accepted!

I can't wait till next week until Mych, Mickun and everyone else still waiting gets their decisions and we can start weighing pros and cons by program!

Seems like they misinformed me about there being no further admissions today - just refreshed my online portal: Refused. :(

Good luck to those of you still in the running!

I was told  during the open day that for the interdisciplinary programs the average is 24/25 and for the disciplinary courses its 21/22- straight out of their bachelors. they prefer people with a bit more experience for the interdiclipinary course apparently

Seems like they misinformed me about there being no further admissions today - just refreshed my online portal: Refused. :(

Oh man sorry Mych!

I hope it was not your top choice! At least you know you are not the only one we're all in this together!

Oh man sorry Mych!

I hope it was not your top choice! At least you know you are not the only one we're all in this together!

It was, unfortunately. Sadly also my best bet for (external) funding. Hertie was a close second though, so on the bright side this eliminates the dilemma of having to choose between the two. :) I can now focus on hunting for funding for Hertie.

We should all visit each other at our respective schools. Angie at IHEID, you in ScPo, me in Hertie, Mickun wherever he chooses!

This Sucks. :( I am really sorry. Warm big hug!!

It was, unfortunately. Sadly also my best bet for (external) funding. Hertie was a close second though, so on the bright side this eliminates the dilemma of having to choose between the two. :) I can now focus on hunting for funding for Hertie.

We should all visit each other at our respective schools. Angie at IHEID, you in ScPo, me in Hertie, Mickun wherever he chooses!

Yes omg we (Alchyna & me) were just discussing this. If not IHEID then Sciences Po. Either of the two will be great. :) but still I hope you too can come to ScPo.

I have been accepted to the MDev today :-D. Had no IT problems during my application.. I am sorry for everyone who is still waiting or has been refusend.

And I congratulate my prospective fellow students!

Edited by Stellarius

I was refused admission as well. Congratulations to all those who got were accepted!

IHEID seems so far away! I just got accepted with some funding to Johns Hopkins SAIS! I don't feel too bad about Geneva anymore :D SAIS is a better fit for me anyway !

Edited by Dancer Girl