International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Hey guys! 

I received the Eiffel Scholarship from the French govt to study at Sciences Po Paris. :D 

Beyond Incredibly Happy xD 

Hi, k_angie!

I'm thrilled that I, too, received the Eiffel Scholarship! This truly is unbelievable. I have sent you a message on Facebook, prolly on your 'others' folder. I hope we can help each other make sense of the avalanche of paperwork and administrative procedures to come. :)

Cheers!

In case anyone is interested:

IHEID received over 600 applications for MDEV this year, with offers made to approximately 120 applicants. In other words, approximately 20% admission rate for MDEV 2014.

Congrats!!!!!

Woooooo!!!

Congratulations and good luck! 

It was great finding so many people here..so thanks for that Angie :)

Aww thank you you guys! :) 

Also yes I am happy i met such wonderful people too! 

Once again congrats Angie!

Can't wait to hear your FINAL decision he he he...

Thank you x)

Also i will sure to keep you posted. Do the same too :)

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! 

Congrats Angie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So i guess "Paris, here I come" for you ?????  :D

Ofcourse. I cant refuse such an offer esp when paris wants me there so much. :D

Hi, k_angie!

I'm thrilled that I, too, received the Eiffel Scholarship! This truly is unbelievable. I have sent you a message on Facebook, prolly on your 'others' folder. I hope we can help each other make sense of the avalanche of paperwork and administrative procedures to come. :)

Cheers!

Congratulations to you too. Added you as well :) 

In case anyone is interested:

IHEID received over 600 applications for MDEV this year, with offers made to approximately 120 applicants. In other words, approximately 20% admission rate for MDEV 2014.

Thanks for the info Mych :) 

unagi, what do you mean stats? you mean age, location, height and weight :D ..just kidding..check ur inbox..just sent you message 

Haha very funny :) I just replied!

Hey all. Looks like some of you have received some great news recently. :] Sorry I haven't been around as I've been caught up in meetings and work and just everything gah. I just wanted to extend a sincere thanks to everyone who stuck out the waiting period with me, and was there for me in the face of three rejections. I am beyond fortunate to be working with amazing faculty where I am. They've offered me an MA spot, so I'm staying put and continuing on with my studies in this way. I won't be moving back in with my parents afterall. xD  :D

Hey all. Looks like some of you have received some great news recently. :] Sorry I haven't been around as I've been caught up in meetings and work and just everything gah. I just wanted to extend a sincere thanks to everyone who stuck out the waiting period with me, and was there for me in the face of three rejections. I am beyond fortunate to be working with amazing faculty where I am. They've offered me an MA spot, so I'm staying put and continuing on with my studies in this way. I won't be moving back in with my parents afterall. xD  :D

It's good to hear from you!!

And it's great to hear that you got a good option working with ppl u know!

Will you apply again next year, or finish your MA first??

yay! Congrats. So there was a silver lining after all :D 

Glad to hear something's worked out for you! Your faculty does sound truly amazing and entirely supportive, so I'm sure the best is still to come for you. :) Keep us updated a you go along!

Hey people, I need your help. I have been admitted to the ETIA program at Diplomatic Academy of Vienna. It is a 2 year master's course, first year focusing on international relations and economics and second year focusing on environment technology and sustainable development. If anybody has any knowledge about this course please give me some feedback regarding its reputation, quality , employment oppurtunities etc. 

Hello Angie, 

I heard back from Emile Bout Scholarship today. I got it but unfortunately, I will be turning it down for UCL. Hopefully you got it :)

Hey! 

Congrats! :)

Nope they just turned down my request rather just didnt consider me for Emile because I got Eiffel. As you cant receive both scholarships so they said that my file for Emile will be only considered if I DONT get Eiffel. So well they didnt consider my file. 

Anyway I am quite happy rather much more happy with Eiffel. :)

If I may ask, why are you declining ScPo even with funding? 

Hey people, I need your help. I have been admitted to the ETIA program at Diplomatic Academy of Vienna. It is a 2 year master's course, first year focusing on international relations and economics and second year focusing on environment technology and sustainable development. If anybody has any knowledge about this course please give me some feedback regarding its reputation, quality , employment oppurtunities etc. 

Hey Hmcg,

I don't have any direct knowledge of the program or the school, but from what I've read it looks like the faculty seems quite focused on European issues (somewhat like Hertie school)?

And it looks like a very competitive program to get in, and so I don't doubt the quality of the program....

As for reputation, I feel like most outside of the diplomatic circle and Europe won't recognize the school and its quality.... so idk if that's a problem for you. 

I found this post on thestudentroom: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=222841

Hey Hmcg,

I don't have any direct knowledge of the program or the school, but from what I've read it looks like the faculty seems quite focused on European issues (somewhat like Hertie school)?

And it looks like a very competitive program to get in, and so I don't doubt the quality of the program....

As for reputation, I feel like most outside of the diplomatic circle and Europe won't recognize the school and its quality.... so idk if that's a problem for you. 

I found this post on thestudentroom: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=222841

Thanks for the info dgpu, the academy is definitely reputed in Europe, and you are right about the high EU focus in their curriculum, some students of the academy also told me the same. They also told me the difficulty in getting jobs especially for non EU students. Had it been IHEID or Science Po, I would have considered it for sure, but for DA , I need to research really well since the ETIA course has been offered from last 8-9 years only as compared to the more famous 2 year International Studies course.

But again, considering my engineering backround ( top 20 Uni in India) and above average grades (CGPA: 7.94/10) I think i'll have a slim chance even if I apply next year for ScPo and IHEID. Instead, giving GMAT and applying for an American MBA after some years of work exp makes more long term employment sense, but then I've always been interested in International Relations. Confusing situation for me..

Edited by Hmcg

I think you will have a great chance if you take some post-bac classes in IR and show that you care and that this isn't a midlife crisis or you are bored with your job. Do some volunteering in that area too such as political rallies. You need things to show that you are serious about this change. I am doing the business route in UCL. The only reason why I got in, from a political science background, is because I've been taking finance classes for the last 2 years. It also helps that I've been running a blog on business too. 

If you show that you are taking this seriously and this isn't a whim, you'll get in. 

Thanks for the info dgpu, the academy is definitely reputed in Europe, and you are right about the high EU focus in their curriculum, some students of the academy also told me the same. They also told me the difficulty in getting jobs especially for non EU students. Had it been IHEID or Science Po, I would have considered it for sure, but for DA , I need to research really well since the ETIA course has been offered from last 8-9 years only as compared to the more famous 2 year International Studies course.

But again, considering my engineering backround ( top 20 Uni in India) and above average grades (CGPA: 7.94/10) I think i'll have a slim chance even if I apply next year for ScPo and IHEID. Instead, giving GMAT and applying for an American MBA after some years of work exp makes more long term employment sense, but then I've always been interested in International Relations. Confusing situation for me..

I finally submitted my intent to decline to Columbia GSAPP and IHEID today......

Now I guess it's LSE for me  :S

Congrats to all those that got into IHEID, and hopefully one more person can get off the waitlist.........

I finally submitted my intent to decline to Columbia GSAPP and IHEID today......

Congrats to all those that got into IHEID, and hopefully one more person can get off the waitlist.........

Congratulations! :D

Have tons of fun in London. Keep us posted. :)

Hey everyone! Sorry I can't read through all the posts here but I was looking for some advice. I know most of you applied to schools in Europe but I am looking for opinions on these three schools, which I got into:

University of Denver

George Washington University

American University

American is really the school I am drawn to, but Denver has offered me a scholarship and GWU seems to have the best reputation. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about the reputation/ranking of these schools? I want to go to a school where the degree will be respected in the field and by potential employers. Thanks for any advice and congrats to all.

Hey everyone! Sorry I can't read through all the posts here but I was looking for some advice. I know most of you applied to schools in Europe but I am looking for opinions on these three schools, which I got into:

University of Denver

George Washington University

American University

American is really the school I am drawn to, but Denver has offered me a scholarship and GWU seems to have the best reputation. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about the reputation/ranking of these schools? I want to go to a school where the degree will be respected in the field and by potential employers. Thanks for any advice and congrats to all.

I think your decision should be based on couple factors.

I would argue that all three schools have roughly similar reputation and prestige, which is that they're great schools that could give you a great education and good networking opportunities but don't have the brand and additional resources of so-called "better" schools like Georgetown, Columbia, Princeton, Harvard and etc.

In terms of networking more specifically, GWU and AU are gonna be the best bets, b/c they're both located in DC and just being in DC and connected to the policy community in some shape or form gives you tons of opportunities to meet ppl and build connections. And that's esp. true for GWU which offers many evening classes that'll allow you to work PT or intern. 

Denver, I'm not entirely familiar with, but my guess is it'll still be on par w GWU and AU, minus the benefits of living and maybe working in DC.

But if you don't necessarily plan to work in DC, this consideration may be insignificant to you. 

Internationally, I would think GWU is the most known name, since neither AU nor Denver have that instant recognition of super-prestigious US universities.

Also GWU grads are likely to be everywhere just based on the sheer size of GWU alum network. 

But cost also seems like an important factor for you, so Denver might be good choice too.

GWU and AU have comparable tuition to Denver, but the cost of living in DC will be insanely high (even I felt like this despite the fact that I've lived in some insanely expensive areas). 

You should also consider what you intent on studying, and whether the school you choose has the best program available in terms of reputation and actual rigor and whether the program fits well w you as a person and your academic/professional interests. AU seems like the choice in this regard as you yourself have said. 

In terms of deciding between saving money and pursuing the best program, you should think about whether you've really set your heart on doing what you say you'll be doing. Will you have a change of heart in the near future? Are you completely sure you want to do this? If you're not completely solid on your future goals, it may not be a bad idea to save money and get into a program that saves you money and be part of the IR/policy community and get a feel for yourself (or even defer admission or re-apply in the future, as much as that idea may sound scary)

If you're sure about what you wanna do and you're sure the school you want to attend can help you in pursuing that, then you should go with the school that has the best fit for you, esp. since the cost of tuition is roughly the same and unless you receive very, very generous scholarships, the savings may not justify forgoing your dream.  

That's just my thought I derived from contemplating about my own decision.....

Thanks Dpgu, you've really summed up the issue very well. I agree on all counts. I am definitely drawn to AU but I still want to make some kind of a rational decision and not totally go with my gut. It seems silly to turn down 20% of my tuition and take on loans to go to a school I *feel* better about. On the other hand, I feel like with this kind of decision, you shouldn't be "settling" for anything and you should choose the best fit for you. I wish I had more time to decide -- I've been working 2 jobs for a few weeks, and the deposit is due tomorrow.

Hey everyone!

I just discovered this very useful forum and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advices :

I applied to the MDEV at IHEID and to the double degree "International relations and sustainable development" (with International Development as my specialization) at SciencesPo and Beijing University, and got into both. 

I lived most of my life in Geneva and would be very delighted to leave it, but SciencesPo is really expensive and I can not get any scholarship as a swiss citizen.:( However, if I stay in Geneva, IHEID is quite cheap, I can get a scholarship and it might be easier to get good internships than in Paris.

Regarding the reputation of both programs/universities and the difference of costs, what would you suggest me? And considering the fact that I want to work for an IO or an NGO, do you think that IHEID might be better?

Beside that, it might be a stupid question, but if I want to work in the development field, would it be a disadvantage if the title of my master degree is not "development studies" (even if actually the program at SciencesPo is not that much about sustainable development and I can choose a specialization in international development).

Thank you in advance and congratulation to all who have been accepted to the program they applied!

Hey everyone!

I just discovered this very useful forum and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advices :

I applied to the MDEV at IHEID and to the double degree "International relations and sustainable development" (with International Development as my specialization) at SciencesPo and Beijing University, and got into both. 

I lived most of my life in Geneva and would be very delighted to leave it, but SciencesPo is really expensive and I can not get any scholarship as a swiss citizen. :( However, if I stay in Geneva, IHEID is quite cheap, I can get a scholarship and it might be easier to get good internships than in Paris.

Regarding the reputation of both programs/universities and the difference of costs, what would you suggest me? And considering the fact that I want to work for an IO or an NGO, do you think that IHEID might be better?

Beside that, it might be a stupid question, but if I want to work in the development field, would it be a disadvantage if the title of my master degree is not "development studies" (even if actually the program at SciencesPo is not that much about sustainable development and I can choose a specialization in international development).

Thank you in advance and congratulation to all who have been accepted to the program they applied!

Hi Durian (are you perchance part Malaysian, given your username?)

Fellow Swiss citizen here: You can indeed get a scholarship for ScPo. It's true that we aren't eligible for the Emile Bountmy or Eiffel scholarships, but we can apply for this one: http://formation.sciences-po.fr/en/content/bursaries-and-financial-assistance

The information you want is under the title "Financial Assistance from Sciences Po". They do not explicitly mention Swiss citizens, but because they use the same requirements as CROUS, we are also included. I emailed them to confirm some weeks back. Do note: your parents' combined salaries need to be below a certain amount for you to receive anything. If you qualify, the scholarship amount ranges from only a tuition fee waiver to a tuition fee waiver + a few thousand Euro annually.

If your parents' income disqualifies you from this, you could also look at obtaining funding from your home canton. As each canton is different I'm not sure what Geneva's conditions are, but they usually contribute towards a first degree (your first bachelor and master) even if it's abroad. The main exception is if it's a private institute. Since ScPo is a public university, that's fine. Zurich helped fund my BA in Asia, for example, including a year in China. There are certain restrictions to studying abroad vs studying within CH, but again that varies from canton to canton. You should be able to find most of the relevant information here: http://www.geneve.ch/bourses/

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Well make some space for me aboard the LSE train because I'm in too! I was waiting for a final scholarship decision from Sciences Po but I have been waitlisted so LSE it is!