The Waiting Game - Fall 2014

monfemme

A quiet day of waiting, so far. The results survey is so quiet today!!

I'm just going to try to assume I won't hear from my other 4 schools until March. Then if I do, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Everyone's trying to maximize their 3 day weekend, I take it. My school is a ghost town today.

A quiet day of waiting, so far. The results survey is so quiet today!!

I'm just going to try to assume I won't hear from my other 4 schools until March. Then if I do, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

That's what I'm going to (at least try to) do. Waiting and anticipating things is just so mentally exhausting. I'll probably make it about a day before I'm back to refreshing everything every five seconds, though 

Ugh, I was really hoping to hear back from UCSD by the end of the week. Hopefully I'll hear something next week. Too bad Monday is a holiday. 

This waiting is horrible. At first I was so excited to have an interview. Now I'm starting to feel down because I haven't heard anything. But then I've been told by other people on here that they'll probably send out official decisions next week, and not all POI's call people before the official decisions. 

I just want them to put me out of my misery!

glass-case-emotion-anchorman.gif

I agree. My first two responses were rejections, and I am really itching to hear something--positive or negative--to break the radio silence of the day. I thought for sure some major shit was about to go down today, as far as notifications; but alas not a single response. I saw several notices from Cornell on the admissions results board, but nothing for me yet.

Not all universities are closed for the holiday. For example, the university I work at will be open on Monday, so maybe check the calendar of the universities you're waiting to hear from and see if they'll be open; that way you won't have to suffer as much.

Also, I did get an interview on a Sunday and was also notified by my POI at 11pm their time (during the week), so some people will continue to work at weird times.

Not all universities are closed for the holiday. For example, the university I work at will be open on Monday, so maybe check the calendar of the universities you're waiting to hear from and see if they'll be open; that way you won't have to suffer as much.

Also, I did get an interview on a Sunday and was also notified by my POI at 11pm their time (during the week), so some people will continue to work at weird times.

Yeah, my school isn't closed for the holiday, and it's George Washington's birthday, and he's sort of a mascot for us (he donated the start up money for our institution). We do have a ball in honor of his birthday every year. 

Honestly, I like to think that good ol' George would have wanted us to be in class on his bday. I get the feeling he was the kind of guy who valued hard work.

Okay, so yesterday's fresh snow and romance vibe gave me plenty of distraction, and I'm sure it's been a while since any of my southern neighbors saw a seven-foot-snowman with a headdress, but now everything is slush and I have Shining-style cabin fever. Not sure I'm going to make it through admissions season in a decaffeinated state...

Yep, my school is open Monday too!

So I'm going to convince myself that just maybe the schools that are open will be really good about contacting applicants on Monday, because some of their colleagues at other universities and organization will have the day off, so they'll have few emails and the likes. (Right? It almost makes sense…)

So I'm going to convince myself that just maybe the schools that are open will be really good about contacting applicants on Monday, because some of their colleagues at other universities and organization will have the day off, so they'll have few emails and the likes. (Right? It almost makes sense…)

I hope so. I'm dying right now.

Ok well SOME schools are closed Monday :P  Just sayin'

Still waiting on Boston. My only app. Going to stay positive!

I'm right there with you on PSU. I have a trip coming up in Mid March and I'm trying to tell myself I won't hear anything before that... Still torture. 

So I was looking at the AAA website, and they recommend grad cafe as a resource for students. It made me laugh. [x]

Sarab, I'm new here and I know that you have answered this a thousand times. But, what type of Linguistic Anthropology are you doing? Feel free to explain as much as you want, I love hearing about other people's research almost as much I like talking about mine ;). Seriously though, I think the field is really cool, and I have yet to meet anyone who does it! :D

Edited by DigDeep

Sarab, I'm new here and I know that you have answered this a thousand times. But, what type of Linguistic Anthropology are you doing? Feel free to explain as much as you want, I love hearing about other people's research almost as much I like talking about mine ;). Seriously though, I think the field is really cool, and I have yet to meet anyone who does it! :D

I've never posted it, only on pm, so it's cool! Thanks for asking. My honors thesis focused on the links of forced migration, bilingualism, and language ideologies among Colombian asylees in Atlanta (native ethnography!). I'm interested in continuing to link forced displacement to language, but I'd like to focus more on language endangerment of languages of the Chibcha family. There's obviously a lot more to it, but that's the basis, really.

That sounds really cool Sarab!

Thanks! Everyone else should share what they're intered in. It'd be cool to learn specially since we have people from all the subfields :)

Thanks! Everyone else should share what they're intered in. It'd be cool to learn specially since we have people from all the subfields :)

Good idea! I could use a distraction. I'm feeling really discouraged because I still haven't heard back from my POI at UCSD. I feel like if I had been accepted I would have heard back by now. :-/

But anyway, I'm into Andean Archaeology. I worked at a site on the central coast of Peru the last couple of summers. For my senior thesis, I'm trying to establish a link between textile production and social status at that site.

Good idea! I could use a distraction. I'm feeling really discouraged because I still haven't heard back from my POI at UCSD. I feel like if I had been accepted I would have heard back by now. :-/

But anyway, I'm into Andean Archaeology. I worked at a site on the central coast of Peru the last couple of summers. For my senior thesis, I'm trying to establish a link between textile production and social status at that site.

Well, keep in mind what I told you about UCSD. Don't lose hope!

What are you interested in doing in grad school?

Edit: Your project sounds really cool! I'd definitely like to hear more about it when you are closer to finishing.

Edited by sarab

I've never posted it, only on pm, so it's cool! Thanks for asking. My honors thesis focused on the links of forced migration, bilingualism, and language ideologies among Colombian asylees in Atlanta (native ethnography!). I'm interested in continuing to link forced displacement to language, but I'd like to focus more on language endangerment of languages of the Chibcha family. There's obviously a lot more to it, but that's the basis, really.

Very cool! Forced displacement and language. Interesting stuff. Good luck! 

Awesome. I have a friend who works on Pre-Columbia ceramics via Instrumental Neutron Activation Analysis (INAA) sourcing in order to discern trade patterns in the Northern Highland, Ecuador. So, kinda similar?! maybe? ha

My ultimate research interests are associated with Homo sapiens dispersal patterns. Most of my research has focused on the initial colonization of the Americas (14.5 - 13ka). My masters thesis is at a early site in North America, but it is strictly methodological. I'm correlating stratigraphy through a variety of methods, chiefly through geochemistry (i.e., chemostratigraphy) using portable x-ray fluorescence spectroscopy (pXRF). For doctoral studies I'm shifting more towards the initial colonization of Europe (200-40ka), and working in the Mediterranean (no specific area yet, but probably Crete). Shifting away from geochemistry, I am looking forward to focusing more on human behavior, specifically the origin of modern human behavior and how it has waxed and waned through time. To quantify that I am focusing on lithics. 

Sorry to be long winded - I'm a professional procrastinator. 

Edited by DigDeep

Wow DigDeep! That sounds really cool. It's so amazing how we can all be in the same discipline and study very different things. We can learn so much from each other.

What are you interested in doing in grad school?

Edit: Your project sounds really cool! I'd definitely like to hear more about it when you are closer to finishing.

Thanks! I think I might post it on my Academia.edu profile when I'm done. I don't know exactly what I want to do in grad school, but I am really enjoying textiles and I kind of want to continue with that.