Canadian Applicants 2014

CharlieRae

Existential-phenomenological :)

Here are some lines to practice for your interview*:

• "Yo Schimel, I heard that TMT is old news and it's all about uncertainty now."
  • "Death is really only threatening because it makes people feel out of control. I bet if people felt in control over their deaths mortality salience wouldn't have any effect."
  • "I'm really more interested in studying the meaning maintenance model. Can you introduce me to Steve Heine?"

* Only do this if you'd rather not actually work with him. ;)

Edited by lewin

I live in the US, and one of my advisers actually suggested that studying psychology in Canada might limit my career options. Can anyone currently in a Canadian psychology program speak to this? Specifically, is it true that going to school in Canada can make it difficult to get an academic job in the US? 

Your advisor is simply misinformed.

Wow, what a weird coincidence :) So nice to see!  Sorry, I should of been clear, for me EP psych is Existential-phenomenological :)

Exciting! There are quite a few profs here working on phenomenology, so even if you don't end up working with Jeff (as lewin has stated...somewhat jokingly?) then Cor and Don are good bets. The department is only just going through the files now, so hopefully you'll hear about an interview soon! Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

(as lewin has stated...somewhat jokingly?

Maybe I am, and maybe I'm not. Is that threatening to your sense of meaning? If so, go derogate an outgroup and you'll feel better. 

Yes, I'm kidding. I do similar research from one of the non-TMT camps.

Exciting! There are quite a few profs here working on phenomenology, so even if you don't end up working with Jeff (as lewin has stated...somewhat jokingly?) then Cor and Don are good bets. The department is only just going through the files now, so hopefully you'll hear about an interview soon! Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Thank you for the news/good luck wishes/offering to talk.  It's getting anxious, but it's only been a month so I figure they're just starting to go through things now.

Maybe I am, and maybe I'm not. Is that threatening to your sense of meaning? If so, go derogate an outgroup and you'll feel better. 

Yes, I'm kidding. I do similar research from one of the non-TMT camps.

Haha I like your sense of humour.  much needed in times like this! 

Has anybody heard anything from McGill lately (specifically the clinical program)?

I had a Skype interview with my POI last Tuesday and heard via email from POI on Sunday (Feb 9) night that my application was approved and I should receive an offer "very soon". Applied to the clinical program and it's my top choice so I'm stoked!

I know nothing, nor have I heard anything from any of my colleagues. Have you checked the results search?

I can't find the thread you're referring to; do you mind embedding the link here? Thanks!

If you look at the top of the website  on this page, there are multiple tabs. One says results search :)

Ahh, so simple! I'm new to gradcafe and didn't even notice that search option. Thanks! Still looks like there's nothing from York's doctoral program. Nuuurgh