Canadian Applicants 2014

CharlieRae

Hey everyone, to answer the question about UBC's interview dates - they are the 7th and 8th of February. 

Has anyone here been to an interview at UBC? I know one full day is meetings and such and the other is social events with the current grad students, but I'm wondering whether it's going to be group-based interviews or something or generally how it works?

Thanks!

Clinical may do things differently but when I interviewed last year the meetings were one-on-one and pretty informal. I wouldn't really call them interviews at all, just meetings that let the two of you get a handle on whether or not you could work together. Again, clinical could be weird, but it seems like when you get to this stage, you're as good as in. I know in my year I wasn't actually "competing" with anyone for my spot.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions that you think I could help with.

Hi all!

Does anyone know when you might hear back from UBC for a Master's (experimental/health psych)?  I don't know if they contact MS applicants at the same time as they do PhDs or not, or if MS students have interviews or not.  And there's not much info on the webpage (I don't even know how you would check your application status).

Do you all know anything about this??

Thank you!!!

Hi all!

Does anyone know when you might hear back from UBC for a Master's (experimental/health psych)?  I don't know if they contact MS applicants at the same time as they do PhDs or not, or if MS students have interviews or not.  And there's not much info on the webpage (I don't even know how you would check your application status).

Do you all know anything about this??

Thank you!!!

I would like to know this too :unsure:

I have not applied to Windsor, but I have a friend who had, and has already interviewed. 

I'm not gonna lie- I'm pretty bummed! Hopefully different tracks have different interview schedules or all interviews have not been sent yet...

Good luck to you and your friend!

I will probably retake some undergrad courses to up my gpa for next year's apps. 

It just occurred to me that if I'm invited to an interview, I may will not be able to attend without a passport...

Fixed that for you. Blame your government's post 9/11 fervour: Citizens used to be able to cross the Canada/U.S. border without one but you guys changed that rule at least five years ago.

Edited by lewin

I just heard back from the UNB psychology graduate department. The professors are on strike, and the admission process will not begin again until they are finished striking.

Thus, the original plan of hearing back at the end of January is no longer accurate, nor are their interviews the first week of January.

Hopefully things are resolved shortly :)

Edited by CharlizeRai

Are there any other American students who feel concerned about not having a passport? It just occurred to me that if I'm invited to an interview, I may not be able to attend without a passport...

I needed to get into Canada before on a day where the bank was closed (I hadn't realized until the weekend that my passport was moved into the safety deposit box!). 

I was driving across the border and used my birth certificate and license to get through (as well as a photocopy of my passport). I explained the reason I didn't have my passport. From what I understand, that isn't always going to get you across the border, but it seemed to work for me. If you are flying, I'm not sure if/how that would work.

You might have the option to do Skype interview instead, but if you really want or need to interview in person, you can always get a passport quickly. (You'll pay a lot for it, though.) You will need a passport if you go to school in Canada anyway, so maybe it's worth it in the long run.

Good luck!

When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you.

(Source)

I'm completely wrong, I guess the passport requirement is only for Canadians entering the U.S.   Awesome news for you! :)

(Source)

I'm completely wrong, I guess the passport requirement is only for Canadians entering the U.S.   Awesome news for you! :)

But you were basically right. Turns out I won't need a passport to enter Canada for an interview (license and birth certificate are fine), but I'll need one to get BACK to the US. 

*sigh, This is so complicated -- but on the bright side I'm finally becoming an adult and am investing in a passport, regardless. 

I just checked the results, and it looks like a clinical applicant has been contacted by the University of Western Ontario. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything from them. Their interview day isn't too far away, so invitations should be going out soon...

Cheers

I just checked the results, and it looks like a clinical applicant has been contacted by the University of Western Ontario. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything from them. Their interview day isn't too far away, so invitations should be going out soon...

Cheers

I was shortlisted yesterday for the clinical department's interview day, so you should hear soon.

I posted this in the IHOG a few days ago and it hasn't received a response. I came across this topic and it seems relevant. I haven't applied for 2014, but I hope you guys can help anyway!

Hello,

I am interested in applying to I-O and social psychology  master's programs in Canada, with the eventual goal of a PhD. The only two problems are: my GPA is low and I don't have research experience. I'm actively trying to remedy the latter, but there's nothing I can do about the former at this point.

My stats:

CGPA - 2.9

Psychology GPA - 4.0

Last two years GPA - 3.8

an A in my statistics, methods and finite math courses

I've not yet taken the GRE, but I have a good amount of time to study for it expect to do well.

I know that most of the departments I've looked at say they place emphasis on the last two years' GPA, but is that only a nominal factor? Also, I've heard that international admission can be pretty competitive in general in Canada. I don't know how many international students there are vying for positions in I-O/social psych, but I imagine it's not negligible.  Do I have a shot?

Edited by SunDevil22

Anyone heard anything from/about UBC?  I'm guessing since the interview weekend is the 7th/8th, invites should be forthcoming this week?

I think a lot of the Canadian schools are still in the review stage (York, UofT, Waterloo, etc.). UBC might be done inviting to recruitment weekend =/.

No one heard anything from York or Waterloo? Anyone in talks with UofT? Maybe I'll see you around (not applying here, but I'm around =P).