Canadian Applicants 2014

CharlieRae

Just heard I've been short-listed for SFU (Yay!). Doesn't sound like they're flying people out. It's too bad, since I would love to see the campus. UBC typically flies prospective students out, but I don't think that it's a common practice. 

Also heard from UVic (Double Yay!). Doesn't sound like they're flying people out either. I was given the option of a Skype interview or an in-person interview.  If you haven't heard yet, not to worry. My POI said that they're putting forth names at their meeting on the 14th, and formal invites would be going out some time after that.

Best of luck everyone. 

Doesn't sound like they're flying people out. It's too bad, since I would love to see the campus. UBC typically flies prospective students out, but I don't think that it's a common practice. 

A new era of budget cuts maybe? In my application season, years ago, UBC, Western, Waterloo, and Toronto definitely all flew people out (in social anyway).

So glad to find this thread! I've been checking and rechecking the results page on at least an hourly basis. Anxiety and apprehension working together does not a happy prospective grad student make!

Does anyone know how interview invitations work in Canada? I'm curious as to whether they invite more than the number of students they're going to admit, or if the interviews are simply a formality (and to see if you're crazy or not).

Good luck to everyone here!

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread too to see if anyone gets a shout for an interview. I know a lot of the high-volume applicant schools (Utoronto, McGill, York, Waterloo, UBC, etc.) probably won't contact applicants for short-list until 3rd to 4th week of January (sometimes)...

Good luck to everyone here!

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread too to see if anyone gets a shout for an interview. I know a lot of the high-volume applicant schools (Utoronto, McGill, York, Waterloo, UBC, etc.) probably won't contact applicants for short-list until 3rd to 4th week of January (sometimes)...

Good luck to you, too!  Congrats on your two interviews!

So glad to find this thread! I've been checking and rechecking the results page on at least an hourly basis. Anxiety and apprehension working together does not a happy prospective grad student make!

Does anyone know how interview invitations work in Canada? I'm curious as to whether they invite more than the number of students they're going to admit, or if the interviews are simply a formality (and to see if you're crazy or not).

I'm proud of you for only checking hourly. I think I refresh the results screen about every 5 minutes.  I am also curious about how the process works with Canadian schools.

I emailed UBC (I applied to their social/personality) and the secretary simply said that if we make it to the shortlist our POI will contact us. She did say that the interview will be around Feb 14th. I'm guessing it will be similar to the developmental division.

Ugh - I hope UBC interviews aren't that weekend - I will be at SPSP! Why would any social programs schedule their interview weekend for 2/14? UBC I feel is a total long shot, anyway so maybe it won't even matter.

Edited by JadeS

Ugh - I hope UBC interviews aren't that weekend - I will be at SPSP! Why would any social programs schedule their interview weekend for 2/14? UBC I feel is a total long shot, anyway so maybe it won't even matter.

I'm wondering the same thing? I figured most social programs -- Canadian or otherwise -- would avoid SPSP weekend... Strange. 

But on second thought, maybe it's their way of weeding their applicants down the TRULY COMMITTED, eh? 

Edited by SocialConstruction

Welp, I'm out then. I'm on a poster for SPSP so I can't ditch it! Maybe they will allow skype / phone interviews for those of us already committed to being in Austin... 

Having interview weekend during SPSP is just plain stupid and I can't imagine they're doing that. Most of the profs should be at SPSP too! Is that date actually confirmed by somebody? Otherwise I'd just wait and see.

I emailed UBC (I applied to their social/personality) and the secretary simply said that if we make it to the shortlist our POI will contact us. She did say that the interview will be around Feb 14th. I'm guessing it will be similar to the developmental division.

Thanks for the info! My application was due December 1st, so I thought they would make decisions earlier than the other programs I applied to. I guess not!

Having interview weekend during SPSP is just plain stupid and I can't imagine they're doing that. Most of the profs should be at SPSP too! Is that date actually confirmed by somebody? Otherwise I'd just wait and see.

Last year the UBC interviews were right after SPSP. I don't think they will schedule them for that week. 

Interview invites from UBC should be going out around January 26th. You will hear directly from your POI. 

Hopefully this info is handy.

Anyone else heard from U Vic Clinical Psych re shortlisted candidates? Wasn't today the deadline? 

Today was just their meeting date to decide which candidates to shortlist. In terms of when we should hear back, I would assume sometime this week. 

Hey everyone, to answer the question about UBC's interview dates - they are the 7th and 8th of February. 

Has anyone here been to an interview at UBC? I know one full day is meetings and such and the other is social events with the current grad students, but I'm wondering whether it's going to be group-based interviews or something or generally how it works?

Thanks!