Fall 2014 Sociology Interviews and/or Acceptances

Maleficent999

Got my rejection from Boston U today, so I guess they're still emailing them out. I think it also said that a copy will arrive by mail at some point. (Thanks?) So I guess I have all my decisions in.

And I emailed Albany to ask to be taken off their waitlist. Even if I manage to get off of it, I can't imagine attending a school so far away that I will very likely not even be able to visit first. With that and not being able to get the POIs I wanted even if I did get in... oh well.

Still hoping to visit USF this month, but they haven't schedule any official visit day yet. I hope they do soon so I can get the appropriate time off of work. Though I guess I'd be okay if I didn't visit.

Besides, there's always the prospect of transferring to another PhD in a couple years, maybe maybe...

(Oops, I should probably sound happier. I am happy! It's just been a long application process and yet it will still be until August until we even start, ugh.)

Edited by meowth

Got my rejection from Boston U today, so I guess they're still emailing them out. I think it also said that a copy will arrive by mail at some point. (Thanks?) So I guess I have all my decisions in.

And I emailed Albany to ask to be taken off their waitlist. Even if I manage to get off of it, I can't imagine attending a school so far away that I will very likely not even be able to visit first. With that and not being able to get the POIs I wanted even if I did get in... oh well.

Still hoping to visit USF this month, but they haven't schedule any official visit day yet. I hope they do soon so I can get the appropriate time off of work. Though I guess I'd be okay if I didn't visit.

Besides, there's always the prospect of transferring to another PhD in a couple years, maybe maybe...

(Oops, I should probably sound happier. I am happy! It's just been a long application process and yet it will still be until August until we even start, ugh.)

The PhD USF visit was last week. I went, and it was really great. I do suggest visiting if you can. It is a very beautiful campus and I arrived early so I could sit in on more classes. Message me if you want to talk more about it or if you have questions maybe I can answer. I got a really good vibe from the program, because it is so new the profs are really interested in seeing students succeed. 

Hey breaks0:  I'd actually not give up on funding yet from Binghamton.  I'd even suggest you stay in touch with your POI because I know of one person admitted with full funding who might not actually go, and if that's the case, you may still have a shot.  A lot will have to do with your overall fit with the program.  As for visits, I don't know if there is an official visit day or not, but I am going to visit there next week, so I'd be happy to report back after the visit.  I am having to make a very tough decision, so the visit is really necessary.  

Thanks Leo, will await you're report. What is the POI, the faculty who contacted me? I'm considering visiting later in the month or early April. Are you staying with a grad student in the dept and do you think they might be able to find such an arrangement for me too, despite my lack of funding? I figure 24 hours is enough time to visit, but would need accommodations.

It looks like one person on here said they heard from NYU.  Has anyone else received an acceptance or rejection from NYU?  

Maria, correction, just got the thumbs down from NYU this afternoon. Blah. Hope you get/got in!

Edited by breaks0

Hello everyone!

I got accepted at New School for Social Research for PhD Sociology. Any feedback on the school/ programme?

Also what's happening with NYU. The results page of Gradcafe showed some acceptances in 3rd week of Feb and then there has been a slow stream of rejections. I called the admissions office to be told that its still early in the decision making process and I should at least wait till the end of the March.

My speculation is that they are sending out rejections as accepted students keep confirming the offers. Thoughts? Insights?

Hello everyone!

I got accepted at New School for Social Research for PhD Sociology. Any feedback on the school/ programme?

Also what's happening with NYU. The results page of Gradcafe showed some acceptances in 3rd week of Feb and then there has been a slow stream of rejections. I called the admissions office to be told that its still early in the decision making process and I should at least wait till the end of the March.

My speculation is that they are sending out rejections as accepted students keep confirming the offers. Thoughts? Insights?

I'm starting to wonder about NYU. I called yesterday and the office secretary said that all of the decisions have been made and are at the graduate school for processing. Also, they stated that everyone should have an answer by "no later then Monday."

I have not heard from Albany yet. Any ideas? Should I send them a quick email?

Thanks! :)

I would send them an email! Since I know they already have a waitlist, and I even got an official emailed letter at one point, it seems like you should've heard something by now. They've been pretty quick in replying to my emails too.

I'm starting to wonder about NYU. I called yesterday and the office secretary said that all of the decisions have been made and are at the graduate school for processing. Also, they stated that everyone should have an answer by "no later then Monday."

Let's hope its Monday, one way or the other it'll be a weight off one's chest. Best of luck to all applicants!

Hello everyone!

Meh, I just finished an MA at NS in another dept, but I know people in the sociology dept. You can post questions here or IM me if you want and I can ask my friends or possibly put you in touch. Hit me up if you want and congrads!

I would send them an email! Since I know they already have a waitlist, and I even got an official emailed letter at one point, it seems like you should've heard something by now. They've been pretty quick in replying to my emails too.

Thanks!

Meh, I just finished an MA at NS in another dept, but I know people in the sociology dept. You can post questions here or IM me if you want and I can ask my friends or possibly put you in touch. Hit me up if you want and congrads!

Thanks, that would be really helpful! Have PM'd you, look forward to hearing from you. 

Has anyone actually been accepted into the program at Brandeis? The results search just shows a few who have been waitlisted. Can anyone claim an outright acceptance?

I heard they only accepted 3 out of 80 or so. Hopefully there is at least one of three on grad Cafe!!

So Monday is upon us. Will be hard to look away from my inbox. 

I heard they only accepted 3 out of 80 or so. Hopefully there is at least one of three on grad Cafe!!

I can claim one of the Brandeis offers. I am aiming to make my decision after I go on some other visits the first week in April (so by Monday 04.07 at the latest). Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions!

I just officially turned down Binghamton's offer. I really really hope the funding goes to someone who needs it. :)

Thanks for the info socgirl, I need to contact the dept myself after being admitted last week b/c I didn't get any funding and didn't get in anywhere else. I'm therefore quite ambivalent about what to do and it affects my plans at least over the next year since I really lack much of a plan b and my finances aren't great. But in light of your decision and info Leo provided last week, I probably better get on that and at least get up the guts to ask them some questions. Socgirl, where did you decide to attend if you don't mind me asking? Good luck to you!

Edited by breaks0

Thanks for the info socgirl, I need to contact the dept myself after being admitted last week b/c I didn't get any funding and didn't get in anywhere else. I'm therefore quite ambivalent about what to do and it affects my plans at least over the next year since I really lack much of a plan b and my finances aren't great. But in light of your decision and info Leo provided last week, I probably better get on that and at least get up the guts to ask them some questions. Socgirl, where did you decide to attend if you don't mind me asking? Good luck to you!

Hey, no problem! I haven't made a decision yet. I am waiting on funding information from CUNY Grad Center before making one, but it's between that and Stony Brook University. As soon as I decided Binghamton was out of the running, I turned down their offer. As someone stuck in limbo because of funding ambiguity, I understand all too well how frustrating it can be. I had full tuition and TAship for 15K/year from Binghamton, I hope it goes to you! It's definitely worth asking, at least. Please let me know how that conversation goes, and feel free to PM me if you need to talk!

I can claim one of the Brandeis offers. I am aiming to make my decision after I go on some other visits the first week in April (so by Monday 04.07 at the latest). Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions!

A big congratulations to you!! *offers you cookies*

Ah, Brandeis is a wonderful school *swoon*. I didn't apply there because location was a huge factor for me for family reasons, so I had to stay close to home. But it is an excellent school, obviously!! Keep us posted on how your visits go!! We'll be rooting for you and look forward to seeing you in the decision thread!! :-D

I've heard that Columbia already notified all of their applicants :(  but I don't know about Cornell...

Anybody turning down an offer at Duke?

I emailed Cornell and the DGS said their rolling admission system still has three spots but would send 12 offers to make sure three people would come in, so it is unlikely that I would get admitted. People who have not received any notification so far are on the tacit wait list (rather than the 50% applicants whom they rejected immediately ) but there is no official rank of order on that wait list. 

Anyone accepted into the University of Oklahoma, Norman and still trying to decide? I've been accepted, but waiting on funding. The graduate director recently said that they had not yet heard back from anyone who was offered funding.  :)