Fall 2014 Sociology Interviews and/or Acceptances

Maleficent999

Got into the New School, which I didn't think was a perfect fit research-wise, but it is NYC...

Hi! Did you get an e mail from NSSR? I've had a 'Congratulations on your acceptance and we look forward to seeing you at The New School.' notification on mynewschool.edu for over a week, but the 'financial status' yields nothing. Any word on funding for you? 

OK a Columbia rejection might be coming in less than 36 hrs. But I have accepted JHU's offer anyway. ( although they are in spring vacation so I cannot finish the administrative process this week)

OK a Columbia rejection might be coming in less than 36 hrs. But I have accepted JHU's offer anyway. ( although they are in spring vacation so I cannot finish the administrative process this week)

Same for Davis.

Hey, no problem! I haven't made a decision yet. I am waiting on funding information from CUNY Grad Center before making one, but it's between that and Stony Brook University. As soon as I decided Binghamton was out of the running, I turned down their offer. As someone stuck in limbo because of funding ambiguity, I understand all too well how frustrating it can be. I had full tuition and TAship for 15K/year from Binghamton, I hope it goes to you! It's definitely worth asking, at least. Please let me know how that conversation goes, and feel free to PM me if you need to talk!

Thanks socgirl, I finally inquired and no, I wouldn't be getting any funding. It stinks, but at least I now know.

Received an official acceptance from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNCC) MA in Sociology program yesterday via e-mail to check website.  I received my undergraduate degree in Sociology from UNCC. I will be declining though simply because I would prefer to experience something new for my graduate studies and have been offered a teaching assistantship from another university. The faculty at UNCC have been great to work with & I will continue to keep in touch with. Charlotte, NC is also a wonderful place to live! Many students who earn a MA in Sociology from UNCC have gone on to pursue a PHD in top programs such as NYU or Chapel Hill afterwards. If anyone has any questions about this program or Charlotte, NC in general- please feel free to message me! I will gladly help! :)

Anyone accepted into the University of Oklahoma, Norman and still trying to decide? I've been accepted, but waiting on funding. The graduate director recently said that they had not yet heard back from anyone who was offered funding.  :)

I was accepted with funding for PhD. I will most likely turn it down. I will probably write them by the end of the week. Maybe that will free up some funds? Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Reapplying in Fall if I survive the year (no work atm) b/c only acceptance was to Binghamton w/o funding, and where not even sure i wanna go, and which I've therefore turned down. Wish it was within an hour or some major city, which it ain't.

Edited by breaks0

I just got this email if anyone is still looking for a place to go:

If you know of any talented sociology undergrads or masters students who want to earn an MS or PhD in sociology, but missed the early spring deadline OR did not get into the schools to which they applied, please let them know that the sociology department at Oklahoma State University still has spots available with funding for qualified applicants. The department has concentrations in environmental sociology, social movements, inequality, social psychology, and crime/deviance. The deadline to apply is May 1. For more information, please have them visit the website (http://sociology.okstate.edu/future-students/grad).