Fall 2014 Sociology Interviews and/or Acceptances

Maleficent999

Maleficient, not officially but I corresponded with  the grad director and the implication is one will be coming when  they send decisions. I'm an  anomalous case, not in a good way, w/all my apps, will be pleasantly shocked if I get in anywhere.

Considering visit days are this weekend it seems like acceptances are already out, right? Unless I'm missing something.

Hi! To those accepted in U of Pennsylvania, would you tell us whether you have a visit day, and when that is? I know about the existence of a waiting list but haven't heard more, and I would like to know how much longer should we wait...

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hi! To those accepted in U of Pennsylvania, would you tell us whether you have a visit day, and when that is? I know about the existence of a waiting list but haven't heard more, and I would like to know how much longer should we wait...

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Penn has been pretty quiet about their visit days, but in my acceptance email, Emily Hannum indicated that they are planning a visit day on March 26. That is a Wednesday, so I don't know whether it's a one-day event in the middle of the week (seems unlikely) or if it's that weekend. That is all I've heard on the topic. I was accepted last week. I hope that helps!

Penn has been pretty quiet about their visit days, but in my acceptance email, Emily Hannum indicated that they are planning a visit day on March 26. That is a Wednesday, so I don't know whether it's a one-day event in the middle of the week (seems unlikely) or if it's that weekend. That is all I've heard on the topic. I was accepted last week. I hope that helps!

Thank you pinwheel! That is very helpful! (Although official information from the school would be even better  :P )

Congrats for the acceptance by the way!

Edited by sociomigration

Hi all, I've been lurking for awhile but decided to finally post. For people accepted at UMich, when is your visit day? I am one of the people on the "short wait list," and am trying to get an idea of when people may start to decline their offers. I have a few other top 10 offers, but would love to consider Mich. Thanks! 

Hi all, I've been lurking for awhile but decided to finally post. For people accepted at UMich, when is your visit day? I am one of the people on the "short wait list," and am trying to get an idea of when people may start to decline their offers. I have a few other top 10 offers, but would love to consider Mich. Thanks! 

Hello! The michigan visit days are March 31st/april 1st. Hope it helps.

Considering visit days are this weekend it seems like acceptances are already out, right? Unless I'm missing something.

Overly, I'm not sure where you mean, you mean Hopkins specifically or everywhere? I'm honestly not sure what else I'm supposed to be doing at this point, other than waiting on my 4 remaining schools, including JHU. To put it mildly, it's no fun and if you get rejected everywhere, there's no more hope for this year, I don't think one is worse than the other, at least for me. Again, I'm sorry for being such a downer everyone, but this is why.

Overly, I'm not sure where you mean, you mean Hopkins specifically or everywhere? I'm honestly not sure what else I'm supposed to be doing at this point, other than waiting on my 4 remaining schools, including JHU. To put it mildly, it's no fun and if you get rejected everywhere, there's no more hope for this year, I don't think one is worse than the other, at least for me. Again, I'm sorry for being such a downer everyone, but this is why.

I had thought you were talking about Irvine, whose visit days start tomorrow. Just meant it seemed unlikely they would still be sending acceptances - but perhaps I'm wrong and they have a wait list who will unfortunately miss out on the visit. This is my second application season so definitely understand disappointment about not being accepted - hang in there. I was crushed last year but worked hard to improve my applications and this season has been a lot better.

Irvine has sent out acceptances after the visit day before. Looks like the weather for the Irvine visit will be less than ideal. We have a beast of a storm headed this way in what is usually a locale with ideal weather. Oh well, California desperately needs the water. 

Anyone claiming the SUNY Albany acceptance? I'm worried now since I haven't gotten anything yet. (Guess I'll be anxiously refreshing my email today!) Oh, congrats to everyone though!!

Hey Meowth!

I'll claim the SUNY Albany acceptance. It was an email from the DGS. I got it around 11am EST. That's all I got! Sorry I don't know any more about their process :(

I hope your email is coming soon! fingers crossed!

Hey Meowth!

I'll claim the SUNY Albany acceptance. It was an email from the DGS. I got it around 11am EST. That's all I got! Sorry I don't know any more about their process :(

I hope your email is coming soon! fingers crossed!

Congrats! And thank you.

They did contact me awhile back when they were first starting to go through them, because one of the POI's I named wasn't doing research in the area I was interested in anymore. And according to the gradcafe survey, they sent out an acceptance this same day last year, and then a waitlist in March, so... either way, I should know more soon enough, I suppose.

I see an acceptance to University of Chicago for Sociology Masters... do they mean MAPSS? Didn't think that Chicago did terminal sociology masters.

I guess it means MAPSS, with a sociology track. UChicago does not offer terminal/free-standing sociology Master degrees.