Fall 2014 Sociology Interviews and/or Acceptances

Maleficent999

OFFICIALLY accepted to the University of Delaware!!! The DGS called shortly before 1:10 PM today.  Offer for full funding in the form of tuition waiver, TA or RA position (they decide that late in the summer), and a stipend of $16,650 (9-month stipend -- no stipend during the summer, but you can apply for summer funding).

If anyone has questions, let me know!  Stats are in my signature!

Congratulations!!! 

Has anyone else contacted Columbia? What is taking them so long to send those rejection letters out?

I haven't heard from Columbia, either. I called them and the person who answered the departmental phone number said they mailed notices (via snail mail) last week, so I should receive it this week. That seems oddly anachronistic (and expensive/time consuming for rejection letters), especially considering that others have posted that they have heard from Columbia online. Who knows -- this whole process is inscrutable to me.

Edited by grrlfriend

E-mailed Albany and turns out I'm still on waitlist for funding, so I guess the acceptance didn't mean much after all? Oh well. I was hoping to visit, consider all options, but I suppose this still isn't much of an option besides a long-shot. They said they probably won't know more until early April, and even if I did get funding by then, I can't imagine agreeing to move across the country without even visiting. But I'm content with what I have. (And since I was inquiring about visiting, they offered to chat on the phone at least, so they've been very nice, but if I'm a decent way down the wait list still, I think I'm probably good? It's hard though because I just hate to rule out anything unless I'm 100% certain.)

Sorry to hear that Meowth. I was very hopeful they had a funding package for you. At least you have some good options already, and who knows, maybe people will decline and funding will open up for you. 

Thanks, Darth vegan. It's alright, because it also happened that the poi there I was really interested in isn't accepting students in the area I was interested in anymore, and another poi there is retiring, so I think it's fine for me to go somewhere else. Honestly, with that happening my fit probably went down a lot from where I'd thought it'd be. It's all fine though. And I'm glad to see most people are getting in at least one place. And for those who didn't... a gap year isn't too bad! I'm not in school now and it really helped me hone in on my priorities. It also made me realize I want to go to grad school for reasons other than "oh school I'm good at that let's keep going." And there are master's programs, and other ways to gain experience. (And you don't have to go to a top 20.)

I had given up a while ago about my prospects, but.... I just into Binghamton, albeit w/o financial aid. This is my first acceptance, so this is a mixed bag. Nonetheless, am quite happy someone at least wants me, just wish there was a means of livelihood attached. So my question to Leobixy and others is when did the BInghamton visiting day happen and did anyone go, what were your impressions? And what kind of things did you ask them? Also, would it still be viable for me to try visiting maybe later this month or something? I know there's a separate thread on the visit/questions topics, will probably repost there. Congrads all, if I can get in somewhere, I know the rest of ya'll still waiting can too!

I haven't heard from Columbia, either. I called them and the person who answered the departmental phone number said they mailed notices (via snail mail) last week, so I should receive it this week. That seems oddly anachronistic (and expensive/time consuming for rejection letters), especially considering that others have posted that they have heard from Columbia online. Who knows -- this whole process is inscrutable to me.

Second this. I emailed their DGS and administrative staff three times and so far received no reply. I am just waiting for the rejection so that I could commit to JHU.

I will know as early as the 21st. That is when I find out if my SO got a job in the Midwest.

Well that's a bittersweet thing, I would presume! May I when ND has asked individuals to respond to their acceptances by?

Second this. I emailed their DGS and administrative staff three times and so far received no reply. I am just waiting for the rejection so that I could commit to JHU.

Columbia has just been rather enigmatic about their admission decisions procedure... First, I heard that they sent out all acceptances. Then, a couple more applicants got accepted a while later, then they say they've sent out all notices again, and now the postal service notification... I hope everyone who has applied there gets an answer soon! There must be some kind of reason behind this procedure, but I know it's confusing for the applicants...

Btw I also called Cornell and they said they were making final decisions early this week. I assume this is referring to their wait list since others have already been accepted. So any day now on that one. . .

Got a rejection email today from Boston University. Anybody else?

Nothing yet. Glad to see they're finally sending them though.

Didn't hear back from NYU either. They're probably sending rejections in batches.

Has anyone else contacted Columbia? What is taking them so long to send those rejection letters out?

I still haven't heard anything from NYU. Did they send out their MAPSS info yet? I didn't see anything yet but I probably just browsed over it. 

Nothing yet. Glad to see they're finally sending them though.

I haven't heard anything either. 

As anyone heard from Georgia State? 

These are the only two programs I haven't heard from and would really like to make my decision. 

I had given up a while ago about my prospects, but.... I just into Binghamton, albeit w/o financial aid. This is my first acceptance, so this is a mixed bag. Nonetheless, am quite happy someone at least wants me, just wish there was a means of livelihood attached. So my question to Leobixy and others is when did the BInghamton visiting day happen and did anyone go, what were your impressions? And what kind of things did you ask them? Also, would it still be viable for me to try visiting maybe later this month or something? I know there's a separate thread on the visit/questions topics, will probably repost there. Congrads all, if I can get in somewhere, I know the rest of ya'll still waiting can too!

Hey breaks0:  I'd actually not give up on funding yet from Binghamton.  I'd even suggest you stay in touch with your POI because I know of one person admitted with full funding who might not actually go, and if that's the case, you may still have a shot.  A lot will have to do with your overall fit with the program.  As for visits, I don't know if there is an official visit day or not, but I am going to visit there next week, so I'd be happy to report back after the visit.  I am having to make a very tough decision, so the visit is really necessary.  

I phoned them as well, and the graduate assistant said that email notices are only for those who are accepted, mail for those rejected :-) Classy! 

I phoned them as well, and the graduate assistant said that email notices are only for those who are accepted, mail for those rejected :-) Classy!

Oh, well that clears that up, cheers!

Edited by grrlfriend