Official Canadian University Thread 2014

cwasson

Has anyone contacted U of T about their admissions?  I have been holding for about 2 months in answering one school, and I think they are starting to get a little annoyed.  I am getting frequent e-mails (at least once a week now) asking what my decision is.  If they have, do you contact SGS directly or the graduate chair of the program?

I contacted the Graduate Office Assistant of the department, and he told me that no professor has officially registered in my M.A.Sc. application at the present time. So, for U of T, if you want to contact someone for information on your application status, you could contact the Graduate Office Assistant of the Department.

Has anyone contacted U of T about their admissions?  I have been holding for about 2 months in answering one school, and I think they are starting to get a little annoyed.  I am getting frequent e-mails (at least once a week now) asking what my decision is.  If they have, do you contact SGS directly or the graduate chair of the program?

Are you waiting for anthro MA results? (I am too)

Email anthropology.graduate@utoronto.ca

The grad admin assistant runs it I think, and at least during the application season she responded like within minutes every time

Hi!

Has anyone heard back from UBC Masters of Planning (SCARP), Ryerson Masters of Planning (SURP), or U of Calgary Masters of Planning (EVDS) ? I am anxious to hear back!! 

I called the department (MPP) yesterday - the woman who answered there was very nice and helpful. She said the first offers should be out by the 15th. This doesn't mean you'll actually get them by then in the e-mail because there may be a delay, but by then the website will be updated. All answers go out by e-mail and are first updated on the website. She said that they're working one application at a time so not having an update yet now doesn't mean anything (although I'm not very hopeful at this point). Most of the answers they'll be giving in this round are acceptances and not rejections. All answers will be out by the end of April. The fact that I have an April 15 deadline from the place I got an offer from (Duke) can't hasten the process, and they know that sometimes people have to respond to other offers before getting answers from them but they follow an independent schedule (kind of annoying. In the US they have a common date for last offers so people will be able to respond on time).

Are you waiting for anthro MA results? (I am too)

Email anthropology.graduate@utoronto.ca

The grad admin assistant runs it I think, and at least during the application season she responded like within minutes every time

Yes, I am waiting for Anthro results.  I got an e-mail from my POI last night around 10pm (she has been surprisingly forthcoming and remained contact throughout this whole process without too much nudging from me) that "official" offers will go out by next Monday and the next few days.  She said I am on the provisional recommend list, but nothing is 100% until Monday/Tuesday.  So, we will know in less than a week's time!

Just responding to say: I would not contact either of those! SGS will say it's the department's problem and the grad CHAIR probably won't know details and/or may be annoyed!

You could try the grad secretary or administrator. An e-mail might clear it up quickly if, like my own department, the department you applied to has set up an auto-reply to state where they're at with admissions (I only know this because I e-mailed our admin assistant a few days ago to RSVP to the open-door part of next week's recruitment and I got an auto-reply from the e-mail address that (politely and more elaborately) stated that they were done with admits). If you don't want to leave a paper-trail, you could call and say you're sitting on another offer and they may give you a straight-up answer. But yeah, grad admin/secretary/assistant is who you should touch base with, I would think, if need be.

Good luck and congrats on your offers thus far!

Thanks for the advice. I just sucked it up and waited, killing time with Season 2 of House of Cards.  Lo and behold, I came to an e-mail from my POI telling me position.  Funny, every time I have emailed for status, I got rejected, every time I have waited, I have gotten in.  Coincidence?  Odd luck?  Who knows.

Yes, I am waiting for Anthro results.  I got an e-mail from my POI last night around 10pm (she has been surprisingly forthcoming and remained contact throughout this whole process without too much nudging from me) that "official" offers will go out by next Monday and the next few days.  She said I am on the provisional recommend list, but nothing is 100% until Monday/Tuesday.  So, we will know in less than a week's time!

Thanks for letting us know! I need to accept/reject a few offers by next week, so I'm happy that U of T is finally getting around to sending acceptances/rejections out.

EDIT: This isn't to say, of course, that waiting until Monday/Tuesday won't be next to impossible to do. I just can't deal with not knowing...

Edited by Kaitri

Has anyone any word on Memorial? I'm rubbish at this waiting game

I heard directly from my POI that I was in, as for the official offer from the university, I have not heard anything yet.  I heard from my POI almost a month ago and have yet to even get a status change or email from the uni directly saying I am in/out.

I contacted UBC yesterday about my English MA application. They said they'll send out offers/rejections on or before April 1st.

My deadline for accepting or rejecting McGill's offer is April 1st...

holdsteady, thanks very much for this info! I was about to send UBC English the same email. I'm in the same boat; both McGill and U of T have April 1 deadlines for my decision... how can the Canadian schools be so uncoordinated? Did you tell UBC about your deadline?

My problem is amplified by the fact that I'm on a wait list at UT Austin, so I likely wouldn't be able to make the decision deadline anyway...

Anyone heard form McGill for the MA in PoliSci program yet? I know they did their 'final review' yesterday so I'm not surprised theres no word but I am going CRAZY waiting! already checked my status and email account 30 times today (each!!)

holdsteady, thanks very much for this info! I was about to send UBC English the same email. I'm in the same boat; both McGill and U of T have April 1 deadlines for my decision... how can the Canadian schools be so uncoordinated? Did you tell UBC about your deadline?

My problem is amplified by the fact that I'm on a wait list at UT Austin, so I likely wouldn't be able to make the decision deadline anyway...

I got into U of T as well but turned it down for lack of funding. I told UBC about my deadline, which is when they clarified that "it'll probably be before April 1."

Edited by holdsteady

Hey guys, I posted this on a different thread but feel like I'll get more feedback here:

I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to 3/4 of the masters programs I have applied to (did my undergrad in Criminology and graduated with a 3.87 GPA). Thus far, I have been accepted to Carleton University, York University and Windsor University for MA in legal studies/criminology. I am still waiting on Nipissing University but that was my last choice so not too worried about that. I have received fairly equal funding for each of the schools so I am having a hard time deciding where to go. If any of you have any advice you'd like to share or know anything about either of these three schools please feel free to let me know! I'd like to pick the best school possible.

Hey guys, I posted this on a different thread but feel like I'll get more feedback here:

I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to 3/4 of the masters programs I have applied to (did my undergrad in Criminology and graduated with a 3.87 GPA). Thus far, I have been accepted to Carleton University, York University and Windsor University for MA in legal studies/criminology. I am still waiting on Nipissing University but that was my last choice so not too worried about that. I have received fairly equal funding for each of the schools so I am having a hard time deciding where to go. If any of you have any advice you'd like to share or know anything about either of these three schools please feel free to let me know! I'd like to pick the best school possible.

Out of the three, I would immediately rule out Windsor. York and Carleton have way better reputations, and Windsor is honestly an incredibly depressing city. Out of York and Carleton, I would pick York because of location and because they have a decent reputation. According to the QS world rankings, York is in the top 200 schools in the world for sociology (they don't have a crim category). Just my 2 cents. 

Oh and Congratulations!!! 

Edited by PoliPixie

Anyone heard form McGill for the MA in PoliSci program yet? I know they did their 'final review' yesterday so I'm not surprised theres no word but I am going CRAZY waiting! already checked my status and email account 30 times today (each!!)

I posted this in the Poli Sci forum already but i'll just repeat myself here: Got an email to check my app and found out i got rejected for MA in PoliSci (Thesis). Not sure what it means if you haven't received that email, only that you haven't been rejected i suppose.

3/4 acceptances. Funnily enough, Mcgill was my second choice...but i already made my decision before any of the other offers came in after my first choice accepted me so i suppose it's all moot.

Has McMaster MA Poli Sci sent out any acceptances or rejections yet? I'm thinking of emailing them to ask when I can expect an answer so I can accept or decline my other offers. 

Thanks for the feedback, PoliPixie! Greatly appreciate it.

Out of the three, I would immediately rule out Windsor. York and Carleton have way better reputations, and Windsor is honestly an incredibly depressing city. Out of York and Carleton, I would pick York because of location and because they have a decent reputation. According to the QS world rankings, York is in the top 200 schools in the world for sociology (they don't have a crim category). Just my 2 cents.

Oh and Congratulations!!!

I don't know much about Windsor so I can't say anything about there. But between York and Carleton, there's a huge size difference. York's reputation really depends on who you ask and about what department (but I think the general consensus is other than Schulich & Osgoode, it's nothing special). Carleton definitely isn't as established as York is, but one thing Carleton/UOttawa does have going for them is their connections to the government. I'm not exactly sure how that ties into your program, but there probably aren't any better schools other than those two if you want to try to get into most public sector jobs in Ottawa. 

Edited by Slutsky_Walrus

I got my acceptance letter from the U of T as well as details of a funding package.  I'll be rejecting their offer however, Carleton offered more money and an opportunity to improve my French so it looks like Im headed to Ottawa next year!

For all those that are wondering about UVic MPA, I emailed them and they said that the decisions would be out in late March. I'm hoping it comes out before my deadline for Carleton :(

I got my acceptance letter from the U of T as well as details of a funding package.  I'll be rejecting their offer however, Carleton offered more money and an opportunity to improve my French so it looks like Im headed to Ottawa next year!

Are you the one who posted on the results board?

Thank you for your helpful reply. :-) I am hoping to do my phd after masters so I am more concerned with the school's reputation in terms of academic research and their legal/law department. Don't know which one to choose!

I don't know much about Windsor so I can't say anything about there. But between York and Carleton, there's a huge size difference. York's reputation really depends on who you ask and about what department (but I think the general consensus is other than Schulich & Osgoode, it's nothing special). Carleton definitely isn't as established as York is, but one thing Carleton/UOttawa does have going for them is their connections to the government. I'm not exactly sure how that ties into your program, but there probably aren't any better schools other than those two if you want to try to get into most public sector jobs in Ottawa.

Applied to:

U of Toronto- MSc Sustainable Management 

U of Ottawa- Biology 

McMaster- Health Research Methodology 

Has anyone else applied to any of these programs?

Accepted: None so far

Rejected: None so far

Pending: McMaster, U of T, U of O

Edited by hmhmhm