How do you fit in time for exercise?

sylark

Guest Gnome Chomsky

That's interesting to know, and I can imagine how that could be the case in Miami.

I am not trying to "base my decisions on the decisions of others" necessarily, its more that I'm not sure I want to be at a school that is full of fitness fanatics if that's not really my vibe right now. 

Hopefully that makes sense. 

What does that even mean? I'm just gonna guess that the majority of universities in America have a high percentage of fit people. My school might have a higher percentage of tans and tank tops because I live somewhere with 85 degree weather year round, but I've been to colleges all over the country and most the students I saw were pretty fit. I don't know what you mean by fitness freaks. Do you mean like meat heads running down the hallways saying, "Look at my abs, bro!"? I doubt there are any schools like that. But I would imagine any school you go to will have a majority of students who are either fit or at least not incredibly unfit. What were you expecting? 

I would add that, in my opinion and experience, I think people who go to or work at universities tend to be more fit than the non-academic world. I think there are many reasons why. 1) You have a large amount of young (18-21 year old) undergrads who still have youth-like metabolisms, 2) a lot of sexual tension floats around with all these young students and staying attractive is very important, 3) educated people seem to be more health/fitness- conscious than non-educated people, 4) you have a lot of vegans, cyclists, yoga-fanatics, etc. I could go on and on. Basically my point is, the only place in America where there are more fit people would probably be a fitness center. 

Edited by Gnome Chomsky

That's interesting to know, and I can imagine how that could be the case in Miami.

I am not trying to "base my decisions on the decisions of others" necessarily, its more that I'm not sure I want to be at a school that is full of fitness fanatics if that's not really my vibe right now. 

Although I am of the opinion that presence/absence of fitness fanatics shouldn't affect your opinion of a school, here is a tip: NCAA division 1 schools (i.e. The Big 10, PAC 12 schools) pay waaay more attention to sports and have more athletes hanging about. But NCAA schools also tend to have very strong academic programs, so there is that to consider. I'd also add fitness-conscious people are more apparent in warm climate schools compared to other locations, if that is what you are getting at.

I gotchu. My undergrad's campus was exactly one mile so people would always be running around it. There were huge campaigns for healthier food and getting rid of snacks and sugar in the dining halls. There were health awareness months and running clubs.

It didn't bother me too much, as I do like to stay kinda fit, but I can see how it would annoy someone who had other things to focus on. Especially when they got rid of our cookies :(

For how I exercise: I walk around at work. I'm a substitute teacher so I don't stop walking around all day (desk to desk to desk). I also take walks at lunch and go out to the playground with the kids and play with them during PE. At my office job, I drank a lot of water so I had to get up and pee a lot. Haha!

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I gotchu. My undergrad's campus was exactly one mile so people would always be running around it. There were huge campaigns for healthier food and getting rid of snacks and sugar in the dining halls. There were health awareness months and running clubs.

It didn't bother me too much, as I do like to stay kinda fit, but I can see how it would annoy someone who had other things to focus on. Especially when they got rid of our cookies :(

For how I exercise: I walk around at work. I'm a substitute teacher so I don't stop walking around all day (desk to desk to desk). I also take walks at lunch and go out to the playground with the kids and play with them during PE. At my office job, I drank a lot of water so I had to get up and pee a lot. Haha!

I just don't understand how someone can be "annoyed" by these "good" causes. This is what universities do. They advocate open-mindedness and higher-consciousness. Universities tend to be much more liberal than the outside world. Anywhere you go you'll find people passing out flyers to support gay rights or students marching for healthier cafeteria food. I wouldn't call that fitness fanatic like dania201 said. I think Jersey Shore douche bag when I think fitness fanatic. The only place you find that at universities is around the athletes, especially at div-1 schools like jenzy said. But what I've noticed is you hardly see those athletes walking around campus, at least from my experience. They might be meat heads when they're with each other but they don't disrupt the vibe of the university. 

So is that what you (dania201) meant by fitness fanatic? A meat head douche bag? Or did you mean a place where a large majority of the people are fit? Because then that would be any university in America. Like I said, you have a lot of young people with high sex drives and fast metabolisms, and you have a lot of older intellectuals who are conscious about what they eat and who partake in positive activities like hiking, climbing, biking, yoga, veganism, etc. 

I think on large campuses like my own, if you're not interested in fitness, you don't have to partake in that culture. There's just too many people, no one cares what everyone else is going. My school is the definition of sunny year round, new expansions to our fitness center, loads of available fitness options, people in tanks and flip flops and what have you. We're known to be "hot" and I mean that both literally and in the attractiveness scale kind of way. Tons of people are fit.

I don't care about exercising (I walk everywhere, I don't want to run on the treadmill for an hour, and luckily for me I have a very fast metabolism) but have tried the yoga pass (access to all the yoga classes I want, which was nice). That said, even though I'm fairly close to the gym on campus, I can utterly and completely ignore it and go about my day as usual. People who are fit who judge others for not wanting to live in the gym -- well, in general, you wouldn't want to hang out with them anyways.

But I think it is fair to point out: most gyms on campus are free to students which plays a HUGE factor in why people use them. Like Gnome Chompsky says, that's going to be pretty much every campus in America. If you want to avoid going to places that care deeply about fitness, health, organic food, whatever as a whole, avoid small liberal campuses (there's little else to do besides drink or exercise sometimes), avoid places with huge environmentalism/nutrition programs, and maybe strike out the schools that play sports the div 1 schools if you're adamant about avoiding the culture altogether.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I think on large campuses like my own, if you're not interested in fitness, you don't have to partake in that culture. There's just too many people, no one cares what everyone else is going. My school is the definition of sunny year round, new expansions to our fitness center, loads of available fitness options, people in tanks and flip flops and what have you. We're known to be "hot" and I mean that both literally and in the attractiveness scale kind of way. Tons of people are fit.

I don't care about exercising (I walk everywhere, I don't want to run on the treadmill for an hour, and luckily for me I have a very fast metabolism) but have tried the yoga pass (access to all the yoga classes I want, which was nice). That said, even though I'm fairly close to the gym on campus, I can utterly and completely ignore it and go about my day as usual. People who are fit who judge others for not wanting to live in the gym -- well, in general, you wouldn't want to hang out with them anyways.

But I think it is fair to point out: most gyms on campus are free to students which plays a HUGE factor in why people use them. Like Gnome Chompsky says, that's going to be pretty much every campus in America. If you want to avoid going to places that care deeply about fitness, health, organic food, whatever as a whole, avoid small liberal campuses (there's little else to do besides drink or exercise sometimes), avoid places with huge environmentalism/nutrition programs, and maybe strike out the schools that play sports the div 1 schools if you're adamant about avoiding the culture altogether.

I guess I'm a little confused by what she originally meant. I've never been to a place where fitness was forced on me. I, like you, live in a sunny place (Miami) where everyone is "hot." I've never once been in my school's gym though. I live kinda far away from my school so I go to the gym by my house. I pass by fit people in workout clothes all the time, but none of them ever harass me to work out. I guess I could see being judged at a small liberal arts college, but I would imagine you'd be judged more for vegan/food-related issues than whether or not you have a six-pack. I just don't know what that girl meant. Did she mean she doesn't want to be at a place where she has to see fit people all day? Because that would be literally every single college in America. 

No, I know you're right. There are people who are interested in "fitness" everywhere. I used to be one of them: I was a scholarship athlete in undergrad. I was all about it. But to be frank, that's not where I am at right now. I've put on some weight since undergrad and part of me is afraid of stepping onto a campus environment where that's going to be a problem.

I don't think you have to be "involved" in anything at most large schools.  I am NOT NOT NOT a gym person and I hate to exercise indoors but in the winter months and for cross-training, it's what I'm stuck with.  I can't exactly get on my bike and ride 50 miles in an ice storm right now.  I am pretty good at making it to the gym.  I go 4-5 times a week - cycling 3x's a week, 2 "free" days to run or do circuit training or aerobics.  I'm trying to be sure I am in better shape than when I left the bike in October because I need to be in great shape to train for my century this summer.  I usually work out mid-day.  That way I can't complain I am too tired or too busy.  It's a good break.  It makes me more productive.  I don't have coursework anymore, so I am free to set my own schedule.

Exercise is absolutely central to my mental health, so I incorporate it just like some people would meditation or family time.  If you schedule it, you will be FINE.

Also, many departments will have rec sports they do.  I'm going to do our softball team this spring.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

No, I know you're right. There are people who are interested in "fitness" everywhere. I used to be one of them: I was a scholarship athlete in undergrad. I was all about it. But to be frank, that's not where I am at right now. I've put on some weight since undergrad and part of me is afraid of stepping onto a campus environment where that's going to be a problem.

I just don't understand what's gonna "be a problem." People don't care what you look like at school. You take classes and go home. 

Exercise is absolutely central to my mental health, so I incorporate it just like some people would meditation or family time.  If you schedule it, you will be FINE.

This is my thought as well: if something is important to you, then you will make time for it. 

I run for an hour every day because I enjoy it and want to do it. It's been trickier lately because I run outside and there's quite a bit of snow everywhere, but I find manageable routes and make it work.

Yep.  I ignored that bit of sage advice my first semester and just did tons and tons of work.  It didn't help and I was up and down and all around emotionally.  My second semester, I started running every other day and got on the bike all summer long.  It's amazing how much of a difference it made for me.  I wasn't feeling my best but I still went to spin class today because my mental health was too important and I needed to sleep tonight.  I barely slept last night because I was coming off prednisone from an asthma flare up.

I used to have to schedule my friends and boyfriend in, too.  I still do a lot of scheduling.  But despite my BF and I being on completely different schedules, we still spend tons of time together.  I work when he can't be around and do whatever when he is available.  If you want to do something, you will learn to schedule and find a way.  

And, honestly, you will realize that going to the gym or going for a run or ride will actually HELP you significantly.  You will be so much fresher and more productive thanks to it.

I barely slept last night because I was coming off prednisone from an asthma flare up. 

Oh man, that stuff is truly nasty. I haven't had to take it for a few years now, but I was on prednisone off-and-on for several years growing up. I hope you're feeling better! And way to keep on top of the asthma with exercise.  :)

Thanks.  My asthma is allergy and sickness dependent, not exercise-induced, so it's rather easy.  I had to do a course since I got sick and was coughing.  Hate that stuff.  Would much rather take a jab to the hip than deal with it, but you know, no choice here.  I'm 8 hours away from my speciailst.  In a town of hospitals, the only one my insurance would cover without a year's+ wait was a quack who refused to give me an epi script for a nut allergy.

And yeah, it's terrible stuff!

I know people who set up experiments with incubations and just go to the gym or a quick run while their experiments are running. If you live nearby to your lab it's simple enough to walk/bike rather than drive. I've always felt that people are disillusioned with the idea of "being busy" in graduate school. Set achievable goals rather than block off your time; so instead of planning to study for 2 hours, plan to read 1 chapter and review class notes. You'll often find that goal oriented planning saves you more time which you can reallocate to other things.

Strangely enough, when I exercise, I don't have to sleep as much to feel rested. I see it as a sort of investment. I'm not sure if this is true for many other people, but it works out that I usually have more time in the day to be productive. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't believe in sleeping o - o. 

Honestly tho, I go after work (my job is 9 - 5) or I wake up early in the morning before work to hit the gym ( i live 45 minutes away from my gym & my job is about 30 minutes from my gym). And on days when I have classes, I hit the gym after class. 

On days when I hang out with my friends, I ask them schedule our hanging outs after 8:30 PM. 

There are also weekend times - just hang out with your friends after you work out. People waste time all the time.  People don't really need to be glued to social media all the time. 

Edited by kittythrones

I make time. I schedule in exercise just like I schedule everything else. I also find I'm much more productive if I take a break, do something active, and then return to work or studying afterwards. Exercise is good for memory, concentration, mental health, stress relief, etc., as well as having so many physical benefits. So exercise helps me to work for effectively and efficiently.

I'm also a group fitness instructor, so having times where I absolutely have to be there to teach a class, unless I'm ill or injured, helps on those days where my motivation might be lacking. When I teach a class, it's not my workout, since I'm focused on the participants, but I still get in some exercise just by leading the class, even if it's not as intense a workout as I might get on my own.

Fitness is a way of life for me. I can't imagine doing without. So, like everything else that is important to me, I make the time. The payoff in terms of improved mental and physical health is enormous.

Oh, it's helps that my husband and I enjoy running together and lifting weights together. So workout time becomes us time.

Edited by RunnerGrad

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I make time. I schedule in exercise just like I schedule everything else.

This.

Sounds simple but it don't get much truer than this.

• 2 weeks later...

Here at home during the time before grad school?  I go to the gym with my sister, and whenever she wants to go, I go.

During grad school?  I have no idea how I'll fit time in, but the university I'm attending *is* on a mountain, so that should help my legs, at least ... 

Edited by gingin6789

I got out on my bike and rode 30 minutes in between thunderstorms today!  I had the space to do it, so I did.  I got 5 city miles in traffic in (incl. hills!) with my commuter gear on the bike for some extra challenge.

I rec bike commuting if it is possible for you.  It's exercise and you have to get to/from anyway, right?  I'm doing 30 days of biking right now, too.  I have to ride at least 5 miles for it to "count", which is my commute and very little riding at all.  It's going to be good for me and hopefully instill the habit in me of riding daily - even just for 5 miles.

I find working out (stretching, sit-ups, push-ups, going running) to be easiest early in the morning when it's still cool and before I've eaten yet. After eating I never feel motivated to work out (it even makes me get stomach cramps sometimes), and right after work all I want to do is veg out with mindless internet or reading, then it's dinner and then time to get down to writing. I am a person who usually feels most alert early in the morning, so that might also be why early morning workouts appeal to me. 

I find working out (stretching, sit-ups, push-ups, going running) to be easiest early in the morning when it's still cool and before I've eaten yet. After eating I never feel motivated to work out (it even makes me get stomach cramps sometimes), and right after work all I want to do is veg out with mindless internet or reading, then it's dinner and then time to get down to writing. I am a person who usually feels most alert early in the morning, so that might also be why early morning workouts appeal to me. 

i absolutely agree!!!! and i do the same thing. i rotate every 3 days. either i wake up early to drink coffee and write, to sleep in, or to wake up and work out! 

Like most others have said- scheduling. I currently only ride with my trainer so that is scheduled for every week (kill two birds by working in errands on my way home from the barn.) Desire to improve there meant I had to start scheduling mat work (pilates and a lot of stretching) and then finally replacing my marching sneakers with proper running shoes (3 times what I paid with partial sponsorship in undergrad, ugh) and wanting to get my dog back in shape to start training this summer meant I needed to start scheduling trail time with her. It helps that I have mostly evening classes so I have the benefit of daylight.

Also, DH made a walking desk last summer, so if the weather's awful I can pull up Hulu or Amazon and run for an episode or part of a movie, or walk and read for class.

Edited by GreenePony