I never knew someone could get a PhD in....

starofdawn

Comics & Visual rhetoric? I don't think so; but I'm largely jealous that it's in the English department when comics, by nature, is a visual medium accompanied by words. I think Art historians should steal it back! Comics have roots in art too! 

I took a Vis Rhet class in my Communication department, and we studied comics in my Pop Culture class. And yes, I did just pick classes that sounded like they would require very little work.

So, a degree in giving people degrees?

Not exactly. It is the study of colleges and universities as organizations (typically). The field is very interdisciplinary so you also have people studying policies around higher ed (financial aid, accountability, etc) or about faculty issues (adjuncts v. tenure track) or student issues (access, retention, development). Sure some people might study accreditation, but not most.

My favorite is a master's in peace and justice studies.

I never knew there was such a degree, but somehow I'm not surprised. Food packages have been getting smaller and smaller over the years and prices have been increasing. I'm certain that packages are deliberately designed so it looks like you are getting more volume for what you are paying. I notice this most when I transfer food from a commercial container into a saucepan that was simply designed to cook food and not actually sell food.

At my undergrad, "packaging" was a specialty you could choose as a business major. My college roommate's boyfriend at the time was a packaging guy. It's exactly what it sounds like, they come up with new, more convenient product packaging. His claim to fame was a twist-up ketchup bottle.

Little bit out of topic, but we are both interested in the SAME research topics! I checked your profile hehe

Similar research interests, similar stats... you and I have a lot in common, friend*!

*unless we're both applying to the same programs, in which case we are SWORN ENEMIES :P

Two ones I saw today:

Rehabilitation Science

Combinatorics & Optimization (no idea what this could be!)

I think Combinatorics & Optimization is a subfield of maths/computer science dealing with system optimization (duh!), statistical models and the likes. Very fascinating IMO.