Application Anxiety Thread

Application Anxiety  

155 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate your anxiety about applications?

• 1 - What anxiety?
    • 2 - Maybe a little nervous, but nothing much.
    • 3 - Yeah, I'm pretty anxious about this.
    • 4 - I'm really anxious!!!
    • 5 - I'm freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

speechiejen, good luck to all your schools! Keep me updated on APP since that's the only one we have in common. Did you apply to the FSU on-campus program or distance? I wanted to do their distance, but I no longer live in-state (though I have the availablity to move back to FL). They told me that if I wasn't a FL resident at the time of the application, they wouldn't accept me <_< Bummer b/c I'm married and need flexibility with my husband's job (you know, the one who makes the $).

krcgator - I'll definitely keep you updated on APP, I don't think they send out letters until late march/early april (at least that's what I've seen on admission forums from last year).  I applied to the on campus program so we will see how that works out.  Good luck with all your applications! 

I.CAN'T.STOP.ON.THIS.FORUM! It's so bad for my health. I can't concentrate on my last semester, (2nd bachelor's), which is terrible! I've tried to add in more yoga to my routine, but it only seems to help when I'm in shavasana. :unsure:

Sorry you're stressing so much. What specifically is the source of your anxiety? (Thinking you won't get into any school, thinking you won't get into the school you want, waiting is just stressful, etc?)

Sorry you're stressing so much. What specifically is the source of your anxiety? (Thinking you won't get into any school, thinking you won't get into the school you want, waiting is just stressful, etc?)

The whole process is stressful. 'Im definitely stressing about getting in and if so, where I will get in because I'm married and we aren't planning on moving (so I will have to get a little apt. and commute). It's also hard to manage the anticipation along with 16 credit hours I am taking. I'm taking so much this semester b/c I needed an extra science class to fulfill the ASHA requirements. One of my schools required that it be complete by the end of this semester, as it has to be completed before entrance into their program which begins this summer with clinicals. 

That's rough. :( As someone who's taking classes now myself, I can relate. It's hard to focus on the present when you're so worried about the future. But I think I've worked through the anxiety for the most part now (yes, this is my version of having worked through it) by accepting at this point either way I don't have control. Either they accept me or they don't and I can't change that. What I can control, however, is my grades. That's helped me keep focused on my schoolwork instead of fretting so much about the future. Maybe it will help you, too?

I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I've marathon watched Call the Midwife all weekend and have almost completed season 2! I love it and it did take the edge of my anxiety off :).

Yes! The only bad thing is that once you finish season 2, there's no more :(

I feel like these next couple weeks are going to drag!  Has anyone applied and heard from SUNY Buffalo yet?  I sent in my application 2 months ago and haven't hear anything back.  The wait is horrible!

I hear back from my very first school in one week. ONE WEEK, GUYS! Blessedly, I am not super freaking out, but I am SUPER impatient to know!

I really hope they do acceptances on time, it would be very saddening if they were late. :(

Just think March will come and go and you will be left a ton of decisions!! Then you will be anxious about those. :):)

Just think March will come and go and you will be left a ton of decisions!! Then you will be anxious about those. :):)

I surely hope not! I'm praying that on Saturday my anxiety drops hugely because I'll know I got into a school. Assuming, that is, that I get in. Oh my goodness, SATURDAY IS SO CLOSE YET SO FAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

Well my anxiety had begun to settle, but me being me I was browsing the department websites for the programs I applied to and I found out that the program who was supposed to send out decisions on March 1st has now changed their date to "by March 15th."  So now I have 15 extra days of wondering if I will get in to that particular program.  Awesome sauce. 

Has anyone contacted their schools to request a timeline of when admission decisions are going out? The waiting is killing me but I don't want to annoy the school. This is by far the worst part of the process for me.

Ugh even though I already got into some schools I am so anxious to hear back from others. It is all I can think about. I just did my BU interview yesterday over Skype and it seemed to go well but it was really short...I am guessing they had a lot of people to get through. Every day is so slow. I just want March to start!!!!

I do think schools are slower this year. I had a professor tell me that ASHA has told the school graduate committees to not give notices until later, even almost April. (she didn't say why) so she told me I would most likely not start hearing back until March, and maybe even late March. It's frustrating to wait for sure, I feel the same. Finished my interview Sunday, and was just ready to hear after that. 

I had a professor tell me that ASHA has told the school graduate committees to not give notices until later, even almost April. (she didn't say why) so she told me I would most likely not start hearing back until March, and maybe even late March. It's frustrating to wait for sure, I feel the same. Finished my interview Sunday, and was just ready to hear after that. 

Oh no!  I hope they don't wait until April.  Many of mine said they would notify during March.  I'm counting on that timeline!

I do think schools are slower this year. I had a professor tell me that ASHA has told the school graduate committees to not give notices until later, even almost April. (she didn't say why) so she told me I would most likely not start hearing back until March, and maybe even late March. It's frustrating to wait for sure, I feel the same. Finished my interview Sunday, and was just ready to hear after that. 

Oh no!  I hope they don't wait until April.  Many of mine said they would notify during March.  I'm counting on that timeline!

While ASHA may have said that - it seems to be somewhat speculative. I think it all depends on the program and when they have time to convene as a committee. As you can see, there are already schools giving notices regardless of where they stand on the rankings. This is because the faculty that sits on the admissions committee often times has many of responsibilities to attend to during the semester. They have to pick a time that is best for the whole group.

My speculative two cents: the two schools I have been accepted to have actually mirrored the results search too. I don't expect all the programs that I apply to do this but I think it has been a good general guideline. 

While ASHA may have said that - it seems to be somewhat speculative. I think it all depends on the program and when they have time to convene as a committee. As you can see, there are already schools giving notices regardless of where they stand on the rankings. This is because the faculty that sits on the admissions committee often times has many of responsibilities to attend to during the semester. They have to pick a time that is best for the whole group.

My speculative two cents: the two schools I have been accepted to have actually mirrored the results search too. I don't expect all the programs that I apply to do this but I think it has been a good general guideline. 

I agree, and it definitely depends on the program and I imagine their deadline as well.

They probably spend some time over Spring Break going over it, since they aren't in classes during that time. And the timeline on the results search is typically similar for the schools, at least where I applied last year. Time will tell!

I need to find a project to do to keep my mind off of all the worrying. I've been browsing pintrest to find DIY projects. I'm thinking about refinishing my bedroom furniture, unfortunately it's too cold outside to start that. Anyone have any suggestions?

pitt123, I learned how to crochet and I've also started to run. They've definitely made me feel a little bit better about the waiting game.

Edited by Sammehh

Every day that passes with no word I fill with more and more self-doubt :(...I know I'm being ridiculous because it's so early in the cycle and most of my schools don't even notify applicants until mid March but still.