Application Anxiety Thread

Application Anxiety  

155 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate your anxiety about applications?

• 1 - What anxiety?
    • 2 - Maybe a little nervous, but nothing much.
    • 3 - Yeah, I'm pretty anxious about this.
    • 4 - I'm really anxious!!!
    • 5 - I'm freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol sounds like mine and my wife's dreams.  She always has the pessimistic dreams and I have the optimistic dreams.....  but it goes along with our personalities...  so makes sense!  I'm guessing same with you and your husband Caterpillar?

Usually not, actually! I tend to have very elabourate, very random dreams unless I'm stressing about something in particular (any guesses, here??) whereas he usually doesn't dream much, and they're not usually very good when he does. 

Usually not, actually! I tend to have very elabourate, very random dreams unless I'm stressing about something in particular (any guesses, here??) whereas he usually doesn't dream much, and they're not usually very good when he does. 

Interesting!  My wife does not have/remember dreams often, but they are usually something bad about me(not getting into school).  With me, I dream a lot!  I can probably remember/have dreams a couple of times a week it seems like.  Mine are usually random with something from my teenage to pre marriage days or it is actually significant.  I have had a few dreams that actually had pertinence to something that happened soon after. 

I had a dream I got accepted to a program but then "woke up" within my dream and realized I did not get accepted (so I was dreaming within a dream). As I'm still dreaming, I got rejected except it was not just a rejection letter but my application was graded in test format and I scored a 17 out of 41 on my application.

I remember reading the GradCafe forums last spring, Junior year, and convincing myself I would never get into a program! I'm out-of-field, with a Linguistics major and Education and Spanish minors, and I will also have my teaching license for elementary school once I graduate. I only applied to four programs because I was already so limited by being out-of-field, and I honestly didn't even think I would get into a single one of them. I had already resigned myself to being convinced that my "backup plan" was the best option for me anyway. I got into UT Dallas today and it was seriously the biggest shock ever, so please try not to be so nervous everyone and don't give up hope (especially if you're out-of-field) because reading these makes me more anxious!

I kind of wish they were, or at least came with constructive criticism to go along with any rejections. That way you know what to fix for the next time around...

Autismadvovate, I agree! I have had some rejections . . . I have emailed the schools, called the schools, talked to department chair, but they just kind of get the normal suggestions. It would be so nice to get some kind of information that was individualized.

Getting everything in time frustrates the cupcakes out of me...I've noticed the CUNYs are much faster with processing. I gave up on CSDCAS already because they cannot seem to process my final transcript. I have a face palm imprint on my face when the CSDCAS representative told me that they have to scan the transcripts in. I'm praying to the lord, I just get looked at. Now that I know it's past the deadline, I will probably be rejected but as long as they don't send me a rejection letter stating it wasn't completed on time. If they do, I will learn from these mistakes and forever condemn CSDCAS as the slowest confirming system on this planet, SHEESH!! I might as well wait for its confirmation for Fall 2015

Anywhooo, keeping my WOOOOSA in control and looking into Plan B so keep me occupied for the fall. B)

Edited by LDadvocate

Getting everything in time frustrates the cupcakes out of me...I've noticed the CUNYs are much faster with processing. I gave up on CSDCAS already because they cannot seem to process my final transcript. I have a face palm imprint on my face when the CSDCAS representative told me that they have to scan the transcripts in. I'm praying to the lord, I just get looked at. Now that I know it's past the deadline, I will probably be rejected but as long as they don't send me a rejection letter stating it wasn't completed on time. If they do, I will learn from these mistakes and forever condemn CSDCAS as the slowest confirming system on this planet, SHEESH!! I might as well wait for its confirmation for Fall 2015

Anywhooo, keeping my WOOOOSA in control and looking into Plan B so keep me occupied for the fall. B)

Did you apply to any schools that didn't use the CSDCAS application? Believe it or not (and I didn't purposefully do this) not a single one of mine did. They were all school-specific apps.

I don't know how CSDCAS works (because as I said, I didn't use it myself), but FSU was pretty flexible with me not having transcripts. Maybe send an unofficial copy of your transcript for review purposes to your schools, explaining and apologizing for the CSDCAS problems. That way they can have something to look at until your transcript is complete, and you can use the opportunity to express how interested you are in their specific program. :)

I remember reading the GradCafe forums last spring, Junior year, and convincing myself I would never get into a program! I'm out-of-field, with a Linguistics major and Education and Spanish minors, and I will also have my teaching license for elementary school once I graduate. I only applied to four programs because I was already so limited by being out-of-field, and I honestly didn't even think I would get into a single one of them. I had already resigned myself to being convinced that my "backup plan" was the best option for me anyway. I got into UT Dallas today and it was seriously the biggest shock ever, so please try not to be so nervous everyone and don't give up hope (especially if you're out-of-field) because reading these makes me more anxious!

Congratulations!!!! :) :) :) It actually sounds like all your majors and minors, while out of field, will be super applicable to speech pathology - it may not feel like it, but you actually have an awesome background. Hearing back from anyone who has gotten into a school actually makes me feel less anxious (annoyed that I won't be hearing back until March, yes, but less anxious), so thanks for the update! If you don't mind my asking, what are your stats?

I am in the same situation, and I am getting really upset with this nonsense.  What is the purpose of applying to CSDCAS then if your information has to wait four weeks to be confirmed.  I have missed two deadliness myself and I not at all pleased.

CONGRATS! :)

I am super nervous because a few schools are saying they haven't received a letter of recommendation but the people who wrote them for me said they sent, and some of the schools they have sent them to got them. I wonder if it's just because the schools have received so much mail it hasn't been sorted yet? Either way I am super nervous because they were all due Feb 1!! 

I know that this post isn't going to be popular, but the CSDCAS website clearly states that during peak periods they can take 4+ weeks to process application materials.  I really don't think it's CSDCAS's fault if you didn't adhere to their timeline.  Their website has been open for the 2014 application season since September, making it easy to ensure that your transcripts, GRE scores, etc were received in time.

I know that this post isn't going to be popular, but the CSDCAS website clearly states that during peak periods they can take 4+ weeks to process application materials.  I really don't think it's CSDCAS's fault if you didn't adhere to their timeline.  Their website has been open for the 2014 application season since September, making it easy to ensure that your transcripts, GRE scores, etc were received in time.

I agree with you. While only one of my schools required CSDCAS, the school itself also made it very clear to get in all materials 3-4 weeks prior to the deadline.

I agree with you. While only one of my schools required CSDCAS, the school itself also made it very clear to get in all materials 3-4 weeks prior to the deadline.

Well, we can't all get our materials in on time especially if you are in school and was still waiting for your fall grades.

Well, we can't all get our materials in on time especially if you are in school and was still waiting for your fall grades.

Actually, you can.  I'm currently taking classes too.  I submitted all my materials early, had my application verified, and did the academic update once my fall grades posted.  All my apps were done on time.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude.  I just don't think CSDCAS has done anything wrong here.  I personally liked CSDCAS.  It was tedious, yes, but most of my schools used it so it made my application process easier.  

Edited by sayjo

Actually, you can.  I'm currently taking classes too.  I submitted all my materials early, had my application verified, and did the academic update once my fall grades posted.  All my apps were done on time.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude.  I just don't think CSDCAS has done anything wrong here.  I personally liked CSDCAS.  It was tedious, yes, but most of my schools used it so it made my application process easier.  

No, you are not being rude.  I like CSDCAS too, but how would do academic upgrade, you will still have to send another transcript after your fall grades get posted don't you?

No, you are not being rude.  I like CSDCAS too, but how would do academic upgrade, you will still have to send another transcript after your fall grades get posted don't you?

Yep, that's what I did.  After your application is verified (aka complete), CADCAS will let you go back into it one time and update your fall grades.  Then you send a second transcript so they can verify the academic update.  The nice part of this is that schools consider your app complete after the first time it is verified, so you don't have to worry about your app being late.  I think CSDCAS just sends them a notice or something after your academic update has been verified too so that your schools know to look for your updated grades.

Yep, that's what I did.  After your application is verified (aka complete), CADCAS will let you go back into it one time and update your fall grades.  Then you send a second transcript so they can verify the academic update.  The nice part of this is that schools consider your app complete after the first time it is verified, so you don't have to worry about your app being late.  I think CSDCAS just sends them a notice or something after your academic update has been verified too so that your schools know to look for your updated grades.

Oh okay.  Thanks, i didn't know that, but that is a waste of money because i will have to pay for both transcript.

I personally didn't like CSDCAS because 6/7 of my schools that used it required separate transcripts and supplemental application fees. I felt like it was a huge waste of money and would have rather just applied to each school individually. Oh well. 

Edited by DeafAudi

Oh okay.  Thanks, i didn't know that, but that is a waste of money because i will have to pay for both transcript.

Yeah, the transcript I had to send was pretty cheap (like $10 or under), so I didn't mind that much.

I personally didn't like CSDCAS because 6/7 of my schools that used it required separate transcripts and supplemental application fees. I felt like it was a huge waste of money and would have rather just applied to each school individually. Oh well. 

I feel like it's total luck when it comes to that.  I had a bunch of schools that didn't require anything extra, which was awesome.  From what I remember, Purdue was the only one that asked for additional transcripts.  I know I wouldn't have liked the CSDCAS system as much if all of my schools required me to spend extra money.  A few did, but I liked how convenient it was to only have to fill out one major app for 7 of 9 schools.