Application Anxiety Thread

Application Anxiety  

155 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate your anxiety about applications?

• 1 - What anxiety?
    • 2 - Maybe a little nervous, but nothing much.
    • 3 - Yeah, I'm pretty anxious about this.
    • 4 - I'm really anxious!!!
    • 5 - I'm freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel as though I have been through a whirlwind of emotions during this application process! My deadline was Jan 1st which is a TERRIBLE date because I had to last minute my fall transcripts to CSDCAS which was a nightmare since the school wouldn't do it and I had a friend do it herself and they were rejected because "she had contact with them" (although the seal wasn't broken). I did it myself and put the return address as my school's. It worked.

Then I didn't even care. I thought "whatever. I get in or I don't". (Pretty emotionally worn out at that point!)

I don't know about you guys, but department politics in my undergraduate are unreal. I had a professor tell me to reconsider graduate school if I were accepted, which was devastating to hear! She doesn't think I have the "personality" to do therapy, despite the fact that SLP is a huge field! You need all kinds of personalities for all kinds of different therapies. =[ I was pretty hurt by our conversation. I have a poor transfer GPA (before I was in SLP) and to make up for it, I've been working my butt off at my current undergraduate and got my first 4.0 last semester.

So after that chat with my professor, I've been more motivated than ever to get into the program I applied to...except I haven't heard anything back yet and everyone else has been getting acceptance letters. They said "mid March" which has me checking my email like a mad woman...

I am really thankful for this feed. I hope the end to everyone's anxiety is a letter of acceptance!

Now I'm on spring break so I have NOTHING to do except refresh my email over and over again. Ughh :(

mheroux92 - I agree! I can't wait until graduation where we can all just say what our plans are lol

s.k.smith65 - Having a Jan 1 deadline (and another on Jan 6) was certainly stressful! It's so hard to do things during the holidays when schools are on break. I was also out of the country so that made things super difficult. That's such a shame what your professor said - you are totally right about different personalities required in such a big field. Good luck, I hope you hear back from a school today!!

I feel as though I have been through a whirlwind of emotions during this application process! My deadline was Jan 1st which is a TERRIBLE date because I had to last minute my fall transcripts to CSDCAS which was a nightmare since the school wouldn't do it and I had a friend do it herself and they were rejected because "she had contact with them" (although the seal wasn't broken). I did it myself and put the return address as my school's. It worked.

Then I didn't even care. I thought "whatever. I get in or I don't". (Pretty emotionally worn out at that point!)

I don't know about you guys, but department politics in my undergraduate are unreal. I had a professor tell me to reconsider graduate school if I were accepted, which was devastating to hear! She doesn't think I have the "personality" to do therapy, despite the fact that SLP is a huge field! You need all kinds of personalities for all kinds of different therapies. =[ I was pretty hurt by our conversation. I have a poor transfer GPA (before I was in SLP) and to make up for it, I've been working my butt off at my current undergraduate and got my first 4.0 last semester.

So after that chat with my professor, I've been more motivated than ever to get into the program I applied to...except I haven't heard anything back yet and everyone else has been getting acceptance letters. They said "mid March" which has me checking my email like a mad woman...

I am really thankful for this feed. I hope the end to everyone's anxiety is a letter of acceptance!

That is an awful thing for a professor to say! I'm sorry to hear that. I completely understand what you mean about being emotionally worn out. I felt that way, too, after applying to 15 schools. But now that the time has passed, I wish that I didn't feel that way and spent extra time double-checking and re-editing my PS. There's nothing I can do now, of course, but I remember feeling that exact same way!

I figured I would hear back from at least a couple schools this week....but I guess I'll just have to wait until next week. the wait is worse than the application process itself!

I figured I would hear back from at least a couple schools this week....but I guess I'll just have to wait until next week. the wait is worse than the application process itself!

Yeah, I feel like this is generally a busier week. And I agree, the wait is more excruciating than getting even a negative answer! At least when he was rejected last year, we knew to stop tentatively planning. As it is now, I sit at my desk all morning, looking at TGC between work and waiting for 3:30 when I know my husband will have checked the mail. :P

I know, it's driving me insane!! It seems like in years past, this is the busiest week. As it is, I've still only heard from two... and none of the notifications were this week. I guess I'll continue waiting... and checking the admissions page... and my email... and the mail... and these forums :blink:

One of my schools wants my admissions deposit by March 24th. That would be fine but I still haven't heard from two of my schools. And I'm still wondering about funding. I'm confused :/

One of my schools wants my admissions deposit by March 24th. That would be fine but I still haven't heard from two of my schools. And I'm still wondering about funding. I'm confused :/

You could ask for an extension, citing the two remaining schools, or you could reach out to the two schools and ask for a status update.

Ask for an extension. They know most schools aren't finished sending out their notifications by then. 

You could ask for an extension, citing the two remaining schools, or you could reach out to the two schools and ask for a status update.

Ask for an extension. They know most schools aren't finished sending out their notifications by then. 

Oh I didn't know you could do that! Thank you!!

Also, if you just wanted to hold the spot, I think your admissions deposit can be paid for without requiring you to attend the university, although you should double check me there.

I came home to find a huge envelope in the mail today from Seton Hall. Obviously, I felt really excited and started shaking. I ripped it open to find a folder containing a piece of letterhead and some other documents. Then I read the letter... confirming my registration for the open house in two weeks. Such disappointment  :blink:

Omg that would kill me :( 

I've talked to the professors in the department at Seton Hall about their process and the amount of time it takes for some applicants to hear back sounds agonizing. Last year, a friend of mine didn't find out until June! 

It's hard applying to schools on the other side of the country when they only notify by postal mail...I'm seeing all of these people get their decisions, and I have to wait an extra few days to get the letter in the mail! The anticipation is awful!

for those of you who applied to east stroudsburg, did your portal change as well as getting an e-mail or a letter in the mail?

for those of you who applied to east stroudsburg, did your portal change as well as getting an e-mail or a letter in the mail?

I got an email. My portal status is still "Complete ready for review."

So I haven't received results from any of the 9 schools that I've applied to so far - except two interviews.  

3 other schools have already been sending out results for the past almost three weeks, and I haven't heard a word yet!  I'm especially nervous because they include my top schools.

Is anyone else experiencing a longer wait time for schools that have already been sending out results?  Should I just assume these are rejections waiting to happen? 
I'm thinking about giving them a call and following up on them, but at the same time I don't want to annoy them! 

So I haven't received results from any of the 9 schools that I've applied to so far - except two interviews.  

3 other schools have already been sending out results for the past almost three weeks, and I haven't heard a word yet!  I'm especially nervous because they include my top schools.

Is anyone else experiencing a longer wait time for schools that have already been sending out results?  Should I just assume these are rejections waiting to happen? 

I'm thinking about giving them a call and following up on them, but at the same time I don't want to annoy them! 

I'm experiencing long wait times on 6 schools!!! I haven't heard anything from them - except I had an interview from one a week ago and they said the graduate school would mail out letters late this week. It is definitely frustrating! I don't think it would hurt to call, just ask about the means you can expect to hear and if they have a timeline. Just be kind and i'm sure they'll be fine. they must expect to get those calls! 

I saw that some people were getting emails from Western Michigan. I really really really want to go there, but the same thing happened to me with Wayne State-other people got emails and then I got a rejection one a week later. Well. I'm betting it's the same thing here.

I saw that some people were getting emails from Western Michigan. I really really really want to go there, but the same thing happened to me with Wayne State-other people got emails and then I got a rejection one a week later. Well. I'm betting it's the same thing here.

Did you get a confirmation email when you sent in your application? I didn't and can't remember if they asked for my email or not. I have an account and everything and my app is complete according to the portal but I just haven't had any emails or anything and I wasn't sure if my email was on file.. I filled it out so long ago that I can't remember if I put it in! Ugh!