Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Is anyone else waiting on Australia? Because I'm hopeful for this coming week! According to the spreadsheet, March 26 (today!) is the earliest date Australia applicants have been notified, and in most years it was within a week of that.

Also, thank goodness for my basketball bracket! Something to refresh besides my email. :)

Someone from my school is waiting to hear from Australia!

Hey guys! I just stumbled upon this a few minutes ago during a frenzied search for any sort of notification day estimates and I have to say, it is nice to know there are so many people who understand the struggle right now. I was recommended for an ETA in Georgia and my FPA has told me that all she could find out about their usual notification dates was that it will probably be sometime between today and May 15th (aka the day before I graduate aka CUE ALL OF THE STRESS CRYING.) I was just wondering if there were any other Georgia hopefuls out there and if you guys had received any better/more specific/less panic inducing info

I'm that other Georgia person you're looking for. My best guess (based on previous notification dates) is sometime early-mid April. It's probably going to be at the same time as the rest of the former Western Soviet Union. 

With you guys. Good luck!!

omg from the Fulbright website ... doesn't it usually open in MAY ?! 

March 26, 2015

"The 2016-2017 Fulbright U.S. Student competition will open on March 31st, 2015. "

I'm pretty sure it was May last year and the years prior.

Hopefully this means a lot of countries (maybe all!!!!) will be notified by the 31st?!!?!

They don't usually open the competition before applicants from the previous year are notified, do they?

Edited by Chris1

Hopefully this means a lot of countries (maybe all!!!!) will be notified by the 31st?!!?!

They don't usually open the competition before applicants from the previous year are notified, do they?

I like your think'n.. lets hope not.

Well, in other news, I was accepted to Georgetown! No funding, and probably can't attend, but I'm still thrilled to even be considered.

I've reached my positive vote quota :mellow: Anyway...

Congratulations!!!! :)

I doubt we'll all be notified by the end of March :( There's still many countries left to notify and some don't notify till the end of May...unless somehow Fulbright has pushed countries to go through applications a lot faster... 

I doubt we'll all be notified by the end of March :( There's still many countries left to notify and some don't notify till the end of May...unless somehow Fulbright has pushed countries to go through applications a lot faster... 

Yeah, you're probably right.

Although, that may be why the week has been so quiet. Maybe they are trying to push through the countries they have left?

Probably not, but let that hope get us through the weekend.

Edited by Chris1

It sounds like the country I applied to is still interviewing through next week, so as much as I'd like the end of March to be true...it doesn't look like it's in the cards for me. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for everyone else though!

Hello folks, I'm kind of getting tired of fixing the spreadsheet daily.  (It doesn't help reduce my mild OCD!)

Please:

1. under the country of your application,

2. grouped together by ETA, or Study/Research,

3. list your name alphabetically.

Thanks!

Edited by Stopthat

I applied to Russia and they emailed us saying we won't hear our results until mid-April. :(

Hello folks, I'm kind of getting tired of fixing the spreadsheet daily.  (It doesn't help reduce my mild OCD!)

Please:

1. under the country of your application,

2. grouped together by ETA, or Study/Research,

3. list your name alphabetically.

Thanks!

I agree ! This is driving me crazy. I don't understand though .. it should be alphabetical by country right ? I don't get why that keeps changing. 

Edited by Photogeographic

So this is a question that relates to anyone who has also gotten another fellowship/opportunity that has a decision deadline sooner than they would hear back from Fulbright. I have a second interview for a job that I would do anything for this Tuesday. I don't want to not take the job and then find out I didn't get the Fulbright but if I were to get the Fulbright I would ultimately choose the Fulbright and apply for the job again when I return ( or try to at least) . So I'm a little hesitant to take the job with out knowing I've heard back from Fulbright but being a SSA candidate I might not hear back until the very end of April and I feel that they are looking to make a job offer ASAP, I don't think they would be willing to wait for me to find out my Fulbright results. 

I feel extremely torn to have two possible opportunities, but since neither one is guaranteed any advice on how to handle the situation would be so helpful :( 

So this is a question that relates to anyone who has also gotten another fellowship/opportunity that has a decision deadline sooner than they would hear back from Fulbright. I have a second interview for a job that I would do anything for this Tuesday. I don't want to not take the job and then find out I didn't get the Fulbright but if I were to get the Fulbright I would ultimately choose the Fulbright and apply for the job again when I return ( or try to at least) . So I'm a little hesitant to take the job with out knowing I've heard back from Fulbright but being a SSA candidate I might not hear back until the very end of April and I feel that they are looking to make a job offer ASAP, I don't think they would be willing to wait for me to find out my Fulbright results. 

I feel extremely torn to have two possible opportunities, but since neither one is guaranteed any advice on how to handle the situation would be so helpful :(

Do the second interview and, when you get the offer, let them know there is a chance that you would have to leave in the fall for the Fulbright. It's best to be transparent up front, especially since you might apply again in the future. If they are as good of a place to work as you believe they are, they should understand and can either hire you until the fall, or, ask you to reapply when you return. 

Thank you, RosyPosy68, Photogeographic, taiwantroubadour, & Chris1!

I also just wanted to say thank you to everyone on here! I truly appreciate this little forum community.  From the notification news and encouragement to the memes and jokes, I love how incredibly supportive you've been. 

Best of luck to everyone, and I'll be sure to send an update if I hear any more news!

Edited by raisedbywolves

Do the second interview and, when you get the offer, let them know there is a chance that you would have to leave in the fall for the Fulbright. It's best to be transparent up front, especially since you might apply again in the future. If they are as good of a place to work as you believe they are, they should understand and can either hire you until the fall, or, ask you to reapply when you return. 

Hey there!  

I have been in a similar situation where I was waiting to hear back from a desired program but was time crunched to decide between another one.  I totally agree with tarosaurus about transparency.  It shows the employer your integrity and (should) make you a more desirable employee they can hire later on.  It is a tricky situation though!  All the best with your decision making.  :)

I certainly agree with some of what's been said by others here, though I've had the 'transparency' issue work against me rather than for me in some cases. Since most jobs/fellowships are looking to bring people that really want to have the opportunity on board, sometimes its almost better not to say anything and see what happens rather than to tell them you have other opportunities in the wings. It could makes you appear flighty, and not as into the opportunity as they may want (even if you really want it!).

I will say that while Fulbright is wonderful, getting a dream job is really difficult. It takes years for some people, if I was in your shoes I think I would take the job/opportunity if it was offered. You can always apply to Fulbright again down the road, but if you return from Fulbright the same job/opportunity may not be available anymore? Obviously both of them would help you get to where you want to be, but considering you're a recommended candidate already for Fulbright, more experience in terms of the other opportunity won't go against you if you decide to re-apply! (This could probably go both ways too though.)

Maybe I'm weird for thinking this way but a job/fellowship in your field can promise different and sometimes better things than a Fulbright can. Ultimately I think it depends on where/what you'd like to be doing in the future and which one, at least at this juncture in your life, would help those goals more. Good luck, it's absolutely a difficult decision to make. 

Edited by nsnotable