Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

Just now, spectastic said:

i mean for certain areas of chemistry, or all of chemistry across the board? Are most people in your institution aiming for academia or industry? If industry, what areas are they aiming towards?

ALL chemistry

If you want to get a job offer immediately after graduation, go into polymer because they are mostly applied research. However, most people I know graduated from that field were only able to get short term contract offers. The market is very, very dynamic, especially you are pretty much competing with professional postdocs right after PhD 

4 minutes ago, Quantum Buckyball said:

ALL chemistry

If you want to get a job offer immediately after graduation, go into polymer because they are mostly applied research. However, most people I know graduated from that field were only able to get short term contract offers. The market is very, very dynamic, especially you are pretty much competing with professional postdocs right after PhD 

so the job problems you see are mostly in theoretical research? and is it so bad that even graduates aiming for industry are having to enter postdocs? I thought those were mostly geared towards academic routes. But I suppose that might be the route you're most interested in

Edited by spectastic

Just now, spectastic said:

so the job problems you see are mostly in theoretical research? and is it so bad that even graduates aiming for industry are having to enter postdocs? I thought those were mostly geared towards academic routes.

It was the case perhaps 15 years ago, but not anymore. Most industry positions for entry level PhD scientists wants you to have a minimum of 3-5 year of postdoc training. It's not just theoretical research, I'm talking about solid state material science, nanotechnology, analytical, biochemistry, computational, organic catalyst, environmental, cancer diagnostic research.  

1 hour ago, Quantum Buckyball said:

It was the case perhaps 15 years ago, but not anymore. Most industry positions for entry level PhD scientists wants you to have a minimum of 3-5 year of postdoc training. It's not just theoretical research, I'm talking about solid state material science, nanotechnology, analytical, biochemistry, computational, organic catalyst, environmental, cancer diagnostic research.  

based on what you're saying, factoring in job market trends, there's a good chance I'll be 32 when I'm actually ready for a real job again.. fuck. that.

14 minutes ago, spectastic said:

based on what you're saying, factoring in job market trends, there's a good chance I'll be 32 when I'm actually ready for a real job again.. fuck. that.

Half of the people on my floor are over 30 already.

A postdoc on my floor has been a postdoc for about 8 years now, and recently got a raise, her salary is now 40K rather than 35K a year. She said she wish she've never gone into science in the first place because she is stucked. She said being a postdoc is pretty much her only option because of her age, kids and mortgage. :o   

49 minutes ago, Quantum Buckyball said:

A postdoc on my floor has been a postdoc for about 8 years now, and recently got a raise, her salary is now 40K rather than 35K a year. She said she wish she've never gone into science in the first place because she is stucked. She said being a postdoc is pretty much her only option because of her age, kids and mortgage. :o   

that's nuts. I had no idea it was this bad. 

2 hours ago, spectastic said:

that's nuts. I had no idea it was this bad. 

Well, the field is changing rapidly, as higher education is becoming more and more accessible, and most labor involved jobs are being replaced by robotics 

6 hours ago, Quantum Buckyball said:

Is she not interested in HS or community college teaching?  Surely, with her experience, she'd be in demand.

Being a perpetual post-doc must be rough.

Agh venting time. My 3-year old iPhone needed to last 3 more months until I moved to the US and it just totally died this morning. Instead of spending any sort of money on a replacement I've got an old school text and talk thing. 12 year old me would be thrilled! 

14 hours ago, Chai_latte said:

Is she not interested in HS or community college teaching?  Surely, with her experience, she'd be in demand.

Being a perpetual post-doc must be rough.

it's so much better working as a HS teacher rather than a postdoc or an adjunct.. at least you only work 9 months a year and you get benefits! 

I work in a restaurant. I got my knife sharpened (which requires leaving it overnight at the shop!) and my sister flaked on me after promising she'd take me to get it this morning. She didn't bother with a courtesy call telling me she wasn't coming after all, despite knowing I needed it for work and had to be there in a few short hours. All of this made difficult by the fact I don't have my driver's license and need to take the bus everywhere. 

At least give me the courtesy of telling me you aren't coming so I can make an alternate plan. 

I've spent the last 8+ years living in Asia. Now I'm back 'home'  in the US.  Reverse culture-shock is kicking my butt!  

I got a manicure with shellac polish for the first time and it has completely ruined my nails. I wanted to get them painted next week before I go on vacation, but they're way too short and brittle to do anything with now. This is what I get for trying to treat myself, huh. <_<

Edited by Danger_Zone

1 minute ago, Danger_Zone said:

I got a manicure with shellac polish for the first time and it has completely ruined my nails. I wanted to get them painted next week before I go on vacation, but they're way too short and brittle to do anything with now. This is what I get for trying to treat myself, huh. <_<

I say the only treat worth treating oneself too is booze. ^_^

At least you tried something new. That's pretty brave!

7 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

shellac is great, so long as you get it taken off professionally. Sorry to hear that it's not been good for your nails.

I should not be allowed to live by myself. I just burnt peanut butter.

1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

shellac is great, so long as you get it taken off professionally. Sorry to hear that it's not been good for your nails.

Ever heard of the TV show "Worst Cooks in America"?

In one of the seasons, someone tried sear cheese. Cheese. You can't be that bad, and everyone makes mistakes. :) 

1 minute ago, Neist said:

Ever heard of the TV show "Worst Cooks in America"?

In one of the seasons, someone tried sear cheese. Cheese. You can't be that bad, and everyone makes mistakes. :) 

That's the frustrating thing. I'm an excellent cook, and used to work as a chef. I was being lazy and paid the price. Nothing worse than burnt peanut butter smell. 

15 minutes ago, Neist said:

I say the only treat worth treating oneself too is booze. ^_^

At least you tried something new. That's pretty brave!

Now that's some advice worth taking! ;)
My mom actually recommended it. She and my sister go to salons all the time and of course they've never had problems. I just seem to have the bad luck.

I'll probably end up going next week anyway, I can't resist a nice french manicure.

9 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

It actually started to peel/chip off and I didn't notice until most of the polish had come off that way, then I was just sort of stuck with peeling nails underneath. I might at least stay clear of it until my nails get their health back.

I should also not be allowed to live by myself. I have managed to burn just about all foods!

Edited by Danger_Zone

4 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

That's the frustrating thing. I'm an excellent cook, and used to work as a chef. I was being lazy and paid the price. Nothing worse than burnt peanut butter smell. 

Eh, we all make mistakes. I'm a trained pastry chef, and even I do stupid mistakes occasionally. ^_^

I don't think I've ever smelled burnt peanut butter. For that matter, what were you doing that burnt peanut butter? Grilled PB sandwich? Some sort of sauce? I'm curious!

Just now, Neist said:

Eh, we all make mistakes. I'm a trained pastry chef, and even I do stupid mistakes occasionally. ^_^

I don't think I've ever smelled burnt peanut butter. For that matter, what were you doing that burnt peanut butter? Grilled PB sandwich? Some sort of sauce? I'm curious!

PBJ microwave mug cake. Jam Roly Poly protein powder, egg, almond milk & I was making it with protein peanut butter which has a totally different texture, viscosity and apparently burning point! Just being super lazy and cooking with the microwave. Had to throw it all out :( Take 2 worked though! 

Just now, hippyscientist said:

PBJ microwave mug cake. Jam Roly Poly protein powder, egg, almond milk & I was making it with protein peanut butter which has a totally different texture, viscosity and apparently burning point! Just being super lazy and cooking with the microwave. Had to throw it all out :( Take 2 worked though! 

That's a pretty honest mistake, I think.

Peanut butter is one of those ingredients that can vary significantly between brands. Wonder if it had something to do with the oil used? Might have used an oil with a really low smoke point.

Also, this is a strangely nerdy discussion, even for these boards. :D 

1 minute ago, Neist said:

That's a pretty honest mistake, I think.

Peanut butter is one of those ingredients that can vary significantly between brands. Wonder if it had something to do with the oil used? Might have used an oil with a really low smoke point.

Also, this is a strangely nerdy discussion, even for these boards. :D 

I like food talk though. Makes me feel slightly better about the disaster. I thought take 2 had worked. Just got to the bottom and it's gross. Won't be trying that again. Pretty sure it'll work well as pancakes though! 

I can't wait to move and actually start building my kitchen collection. I sold all my stuff after undergrad as I was moving to Australia (but didn't get funding) so I've been living on hand-me-downs and cheap equipment. It's made me very creative with cooking! 

Just now, hippyscientist said:

I can't wait to move and actually start building my kitchen collection. I sold all my stuff after undergrad as I was moving to Australia (but didn't get funding) so I've been living on hand-me-downs and cheap equipment. It's made me very creative with cooking! 

I had actually considered this before concerning those here relocating. Moving a kitchen is quite a hassle, and I doubt I'd want to bring much over if I was traveling abroad.

Do you have Williams Sonoma in the UK? It's a very expensive kitchen gear store, but they sell amazing-quality gear (to an extent that is laughably unnecessary). I bought my cake pans there, and they're probably three times as thick as they need to be, but they'll likely last a lifetime. :) 

If you've never been to one, you should totally visit once you move stateside. It's the type of place where one can buy a $200 toaster.

7 minutes ago, Neist said:

I had actually considered this before concerning those here relocating. Moving a kitchen is quite a hassle, and I doubt I'd want to bring much over if I was traveling abroad.

Do you have Williams Sonoma in the UK? It's a very expensive kitchen gear store, but they sell amazing-quality gear (to an extent that is laughably unnecessary). I bought my cake pans there, and they're probably three times as thick as they need to be, but they'll likely last a lifetime. :) 

If you've never been to one, you should totally visit once you move stateside. It's the type of place where one can buy a $200 toaster.

Oh my goodness. You should not have told me that. I don't need a couch, or a TV, or lamps, or a car, or books or anything else that I've budgeted for. My entire moving budget is going on kitchen stuff. 

I went to a (nice) big home department store today (John Lewis for anyone interested) and spent far too long looking at kettles, and woks and knives. I'm having to leave my lovely knife collection here because there is no way I'll get that through immigration and customs. I need good cooking knives people! Relatedly, it's my birthday the day before classes start and two days after my dad leaves me in the US so maybe I'll see if I can get birthday presents for kitchen equipment. Williams Sonoma. I will remember that!