Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

13 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

Okay so.. it wasn't actually the thermostat but, our townhouse had one of those dials to turn the humidity in the house up and down, and was supposed to be switched back and forth after you showered to prevent humidity. My roommate used to make the house so dry that I was having nose bleeds constantly! I thought something was medically wrong with me. So I know how you feel. 

one of the things I appreciate about the south is the higher humidity. I get soaking wet in sweat, but I'll take that than the dry blistering winter I was getting in iowa. the skin on my knuckles would crack when I clinch into a fist. and I remember one time in high school, a friend stayed over. He pinched my nose to wake me up, and my nose started bleeding. nose bleeds were a common occurrence for me too, and I've always been pretty healthy.

Edited by spectastic

5 minutes ago, spectastic said:

one of the things I appreciate about the south is the higher humidity. I get soaking wet in sweat, but I'll take that than the dry blistering winter I was getting in iowa. the skin on my knuckles would crack when I clinch into a fist. and I remember one time in high school, a friend stayed over. He pinched my nose to take me up, and my nose started bleeding. nose bleeds were a common occurrence for me too, and I've always been pretty healthy.

I can't stand the winter weather (and yes, I'm from Canada ;) ). Not so much because it's cold but, because it's incredibly dry. My skin is completely ruined as soon as it starts to get cold in the fall. I have the same problem with my knuckles too. Lotions and a humidifier help but definitely don't fix the problem. I'm also much happier during the summer. I'm thinking of eventually moving somewhere warmer. 

Edited by Danger_Zone

Just now, Danger_Zone said:

I definitely can't stand the winter weather. Not so much because it's cold but, because it's incredibly dry. My skin is completely ruined as soon as it starts to get cold in the fall. I have the same problem with my knuckles too. Lotions and a humidifier help but definitely don't fix the problem. I'm also much happier during the summer. I'm thinking of eventually moving somewhere warmer. :)

yea, never moving back to the midwest. I figure somewhere that's south enough to not experience tornados, yet inland enough such that in 50 years, when florida is underwater, and the coastal dwellers are massively migrating, your property becomes the new coast.

Just now, spectastic said:

yea, never moving back to the midwest. I figure somewhere that's south enough to not experience tornados, yet inland enough such that in 50 years, when florida is underwater, and the coastal dwellers are massively migrating, your property becomes the new coast.

I'm kind of down about having to go to school in the midwest now. I recently went to Florida and I want to immediately move down there. It was so beautiful and sunny.

2 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

I'm kind of down about having to go to school in the midwest now. I recently went to Florida and I want to immediately move down there. It was so beautiful and sunny.

I've never been, but I hear it's a dichotomy of really old people, with small sects of wild party venues, neither of which particularly interest me. 

It might be a good place to visit. But I wouldn't want to be surrounded by a sea of ignorant, shallow people. hate to generalize, but I hear things, and they can't all be wrong.

Edited by spectastic

1 minute ago, spectastic said:

I've never been, but I hear it's a dichotomy of really old people, with small sects of wild party venues, neither of which particularly interest me. 

I guess neither of those things really bother me. I think the idea of living where people go to vacation is kind of enticing, though. I think it would also help fulfill my dream of living at Disney World. :P 

3 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

I guess neither of those things really bother me. I think the idea of living where people go to vacation is kind of enticing, though. I think it would also help fulfill my dream of living at Disney World. :P 

I would consider Austin a vacation destination. when you get past the honeymoon period, it's just another city. Sure, I appreciate the liberal and diverse culture, and the awesome landscape. But it's a matter of time before that becomes the norm. It's easier to be happier here, than say... anywhere else in texas, but your surroundings ultimately is what you make of it.

now i'm contradicting myself with my comments about florida.

Edited by spectastic

2 minutes ago, spectastic said:

I would consider Austin a vacation destination. when you get past the honeymoon period, it's just another city. Sure, I appreciate the liberal and diverse culture, and the awesome landscape. But it's a matter of time before that becomes the norm. It's easier to be happier here, than say... anywhere else in texas, but your surroundings ultimately is what you make of it.

now i'm contradicting myself with my comments about florida.

That's definitely true. I'll have to see where I ultimately do decide to move (may be more of where I can find a job, though). I don't think I'm that picky, really. I've lived in the same city my whole life and that gets kind of dull, but I think there are positives about many places you could decide to live. Hopefully I can just find somewhere with nice weather and people that is relatively cheap and has a lot of fun things going on. 

2 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

That's definitely true. I'll have to see where I ultimately do decide to move (may be more of where I can find a job, though). I don't think I'm that picky, really. I've lived in the same city my whole life and that gets kind of dull, but I think there are positives about many places you could decide to live. Hopefully I can just find somewhere with nice weather and people that is relatively cheap and has a lot of fun things going on. 

If the opportunity presents itself, I can imagine myself living out my later years in South America. It fits all the criteria you list. you essentially triple your relative wealth and purchasing power. The people are exotic (or so I've heard) at least until it becomes normal. Your skills and knowledge will be highly sought after in a society that's decades behind our curve. Honestly, I'm not too happy about America right now. If I were Canadian, I'd try to seek refuge in Vancouver or something

11 minutes ago, spectastic said:

If the opportunity presents itself, I can imagine myself living out my later years in South America. It fits all the criteria you list. you essentially triple your relative wealth and purchasing power. The people are exotic (or so I've heard) at least until it becomes normal. Your skills and knowledge will be highly sought after in a society that's decades behind our curve. Honestly, I'm not too happy about America right now. If I were Canadian, I'd try to seek refuge in Vancouver or something

As my mom said the other night, she can see me being a global person. Keep my UK citizenship but just live in many countries, using my US PhD to show global education. I can agree with her. The original plan was to settle in the US after my PhD and that might still happen but if I got a post-doc opportunity in Australia, I would probably take it. I think global is a very valid alternative.

They are trying to make all of the class sections of the class I am teaching exactly the same. Material wise, that makes sense, because so many people go through it.   I hate the given powerpoints, but it is easier to use them, so I will. 

However, they also want us to have the same class policies and stuff like that. And that is ridiculous!! There are a few problems with that.  First of all, what  works for a 300 person class is not the same as what works for a 20 person class, and vice versa. Secondly, some teachers have different styles of teaching, and personality, which interacts with the policies, and makes the classes different.   One of the biggest differences is the teacher.   My first language is English, the other GA's are not native speakers.  This will change things!   Time of day will change things.  You will not have the same class, and trying to just interferes with student outcomes. 

This is not a battle I am going to fight with the class administrator as a Ph.D student.  I am going to nod my head and roll my eyes.  But it is ridiculous! 

22 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

As my mom said the other night, she can see me being a global person. Keep my UK citizenship but just live in many countries, using my US PhD to show global education. I can agree with her. The original plan was to settle in the US after my PhD and that might still happen but if I got a post-doc opportunity in Australia, I would probably take it. I think global is a very valid alternative.

I'm always curious to know how how a diversified background will influence one's merit. I'm sure it varies case by case. In my field, some employers will only hire from a handful of places because would rather pick from a known resource, rather than take a gamble from an overseas institution that could be less well known, and could have totally different set of standards. But then again, I've never really talked to anyone about this type of stuff. 

I'm on vacation and my phone died. Note, it's not out of charge, iit's bricked. It's super frustrating because I have an upgrade in two weeks so I don't want to buy a new phone, but my warranty is up and my insurance won't cover it because it is a manufacturing defect. Ugh, I Verizon so much right now! Thank God I came on trip with boyfriend so I have his phone for emergencies and to keep track of our plans. 

I'm really struggling with pushing through this last month of work. I cannot for the life of me keep my concentration, getting wound up about the smallest things and I just want to be done now. I'm partially seeing progress but not enough to justify slacking. I'm just so done with where I live, I hate it. I hate my housemate, I hate the town, I hate the crappy bed, I hate the miserable weather, I hate all of it and I want to leave now.

We're having a BBQ tonight for everyone in my program. I volunteered to organize it, but asked for volunteers to host it since I have a small apartment. Someone volunteered, said they had tables and a canopy, but just needed people to bring some camp chairs. The details of all of this were settled over a week ago. It's now about 3 hours until party time, and the host emailed me telling me to bring a few tables with me because she forgot that she loaned hers out. So now I have to go searching for some cheap tables in the next hour or so, on top of finishing up food prep. 

I have to show up to court, with a jury..... I don't know what to say, I really fucked up this time..... a few weeks ago, I was riding my bicycle towards campus, and ran a stop sign. *breaks down sobbing*

the cop saw me, and chased me down on his motorcycle. I had to schedule an appointment to meet with a prosecutor, who said I had to pay the court fees, plus a fine, or plead not guilty, and stand in front of a judge or jury. She basically told me straight up, I don't agree with this bullshit either, but I gotta give it to you. So I chose a jury, because I have slightly more faith in American citizens than the justice system. Plus, I bet these people could use a little insight on how inefficient and wasteful this court system is, and maybe a day off of work. *blows my nose*

I've almost hit lots of bicyclists not following traffic laws. Sucks that you got a ticket man, but you probably wont get out of that fine lol.

Edited by sjoh197

1 hour ago, sjoh197 said:

I've almost hit lots of bicyclists not following traffic laws. Sucks that you got a ticket man, but you probably wont get out of that fine lol.

the times I've been in danger on a bicycle, it was the driver(s) who were out of compliance. I breaks the rules a lot, but have had enough trial/error by now to do it safely for me and everyone else. 

2 hours ago, spectastic said:

the times I've been in danger on a bicycle, it was the driver(s) who were out of compliance. I breaks the rules a lot, but have had enough trial/error by now to do it safely for me and everyone else. 

Cyclists not following the rules of the road create danger for drivers and pedestrians. I've almost been hit many times by cyclists who don't stop at stop signs or when I have the right of way, e.g. in a crosswalk, even though this didn't create any danger for the cars around. If you're going to knowingly break the rules, as you've admitted you do, you should accept that you deserve this fine. Some time you might not see that it wasn't safe to run that stop sign until it's too late, and somebody gets seriously hurt. That's why the rules exist...

On 6/13/2016 at 4:28 PM, shadowclaw said:

We're having a BBQ tonight for everyone in my program. I volunteered to organize it, but asked for volunteers to host it since I have a small apartment. Someone volunteered, said they had tables and a canopy, but just needed people to bring some camp chairs. The details of all of this were settled over a week ago. It's now about 3 hours until party time, and the host emailed me telling me to bring a few tables with me because she forgot that she loaned hers out. So now I have to go searching for some cheap tables in the next hour or so, on top of finishing up f

Rules made by people who have never ridden bikes in their lives. There are quirks to commuting on a bicycle that don't fit anywhere in the rulebook. For example it's not always safe to ride on the bike path because there's always pedestrians and cars who don't pay attention. Those who ride bikes know what I mean. There will always be jackasses who don't follow the rules and at the same time put other people at risk. But they're in the minority and the same is true for drivers.

25 minutes ago, spectastic said:

Rules made by people who have never ridden bikes in their lives. There are quirks to commuting on a bicycle that don't fit anywhere in the rulebook. For example it's not always safe to ride on the bike path because there's always pedestrians and cars who don't pay attention. Those who ride bikes know what I mean. There will always be jackasses who don't follow the rules and at the same time put other people at risk. But they're in the minority and the same is true for drivers.

Stop signs are not such a "quirk" of commuting on a bicycle, though.

@spectastic sucks that you got ticketed for running a stop sign, but that's one of those rules you should follow. I mean, if it was an accident, yeah, that happens, but if you do it consistently, you're asking to either get hit by a car or hit a pedestrian. 

Things like staying in bike lanes aren't a huge deal when there's no traffic, but there are a ton of cyclists in my school's town who completely ignore stop signs and decide to signal turns after they've  started turning. I don't have many issues when I'm driving, but I've come close to being hit by cyclist at least 20 times this year, mainly because they always run stop signs.

I always let pedestrians go first. And if i need to turn, i pick a path out of everyone's  way. Like i said, if theres cross traffic, i stop. Otherwise, most people can scan both sides a couple of times while approaching an intersection, such that stopping fully serves no practical utility other than as a formality. Im actually pretty curteous when it comes to sharing the road. And rarely see people almost get hit by bicycles. Most of the time, it's other people popping into my lane unannounced.

Only times ive almost hit pedestrians were when they were crossing the street without looking, not at a stop.sign, but in the middle of the road. 

Edited by spectastic