Columbia applicants - Fall 2014

casualrunnergal

Hey! I was accepted to Columbia last week and University of Denver the week prior. I was wondering if any of prospective students participated in a fellowship or assistantship? I am really nervous about the cost, and also the expenses to live up there! I am assessing the pro's and con's to each school and it is extremely difficult!! Any suggestions?  

Haven't heard anything about fellowships but on the CUSSW website it gives a list of internal and external scholarships you can apply to and maybe fellowships (but nothing significant). I also saw that work study is available but the wage is $8 per hour. Which i find is so low, but I'm not aware of how wages work in the US.

I also heard CUSSW's program itself is not challenging and maybe its because the girl who told me did her undergrad at teh university i currently go to.

why does finance have to be such a big prob :unsure::(

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For people still waiting, my guess is they probably are releasing decisions based on the number of people that turn them down. So until they know for sure how many spots they have open, they won't release more decisions. Just remember all good things are worth waiting for! 

For people still waiting, my guess is they probably are releasing decisions based on the number of people that turn them down. So until they know for sure how many spots they have open, they won't release more decisions. Just remember all good things are worth waiting for! 

Yep, that's what I figured. I'm thinking of it as a sort of "wait list" situation... oh, well.

I recently got accepted to Ed.M in Economics and Education, and thinking of deferring 1 year in order to find ways to pay this expensive degree! I am so anxious abt the fin aid. I heard they don't give much money to master students :( 

This was great to read -- I have been accepted and it was my first choice school, but when I began looking up reviews of the program I immediately became upset and disappointed at what I was reading. Specifically, people saying that it is a waste of money, CUSSW is not as respected in the field as they would lead you to believe, and that they don't have as many connections as they lead you to believe, as well. I was shocked when I read those comments and then started second guessing my excitement about being accepted.

I'm wondering what program you did/concentration/minor/etc? I'm really interested in macro work, specifically policy work, but I've been advised to get the clinical degree because of versatility. I know you can minor in Public Policy administration, so I'm hoping to do that. Also, if you could speak to how you worked with the financial aid department to leave with only 25k in loans, that'd be super helpful. The other big factor deterring me from the program is the price, but I feel like for what I'd like to do, Columbia is the best bet for me.

Hey ekindschy, read your post and i wonder what kind of information did you read about columbia's MSW program? How come people said it is a waste of money?? And also where else did u get those information? Now i am wavering between columbia and u of chicago, so extra help is really appreciated!!! 

Thanks xD 

Hey guys! Anyone here received admission on Five Term International Students Program? What exactly the cost is like? and any any financial help for international students??

Any advice on U Penn and Columbia is also welcomed!

Thanks for your help!

• 4 weeks later...