Columbia applicants - Fall 2014

casualrunnergal

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went on website and it's not update yet. Anyone who hasn't heard, did you guys finish stats course?

I did - but interestingly enough it said I hadn't in my acceptance. I guess I'll have to call about that.

I did - but interestingly enough it said I hadn't in my acceptance. I guess I'll have to call about that.

ssllove - originally mine said I hadn't completed stats, but when I looked again this morning (just to make sure it was real!!) they had taken out that paragraph. I would look again before calling...and congrats!

ssllove - originally mine said I hadn't completed stats, but when I looked again this morning (just to make sure it was real!!) they had taken out that paragraph. I would look again before calling...and congrats!

I was just about to call when I saw your post. Went and checked and it was taken out for me as well :) Thanks so much!!

Hi, Columbia grad here. 

They do their admissions in waves. There are more to come. Especially as people turn them down. I think this is becoming less prominent but they have admitted students as late as April/may depending on how competitive you are/when you submitted your application. Keep in mind they get a lot of applicants for a lot of seats which means things will unfold fairly gradually. At least that was how it was done when I applied a few years back. 

Regarding funding/fellowhips I ended up with about 25k over the two years + a 10k loan repayment fellowship all merit based and highly selective. I recommend working with the financial aid department. It is a VERY expensive degree but was worth it for me. This is perhaps the farthest reaching social work degree in terms of reputation/contacts etc int he world and I mean that. According to their website they are the largest producer of deans of social work and educators of any social work program. BUt if you want to be a leader in your field, do international work, perhaps do work across disciplines this is the best place to be in my oponion. if you just want to be a straight shooting social worker, kind of locked into the field and nothing else and just stick to that jam, then I'd recommend Hunter or another state school. 

Thats just my take. I'm in another contry and it helped me. 

Hi, Columbia grad here. 

They do their admissions in waves. There are more to come. Especially as people turn them down. I think this is becoming less prominent but they have admitted students as late as April/may depending on how competitive you are/when you submitted your application. Keep in mind they get a lot of applicants for a lot of seats which means things will unfold fairly gradually. At least that was how it was done when I applied a few years back. 

Regarding funding/fellowhips I ended up with about 25k over the two years + a 10k loan repayment fellowship all merit based and highly selective. I recommend working with the financial aid department. It is a VERY expensive degree but was worth it for me. This is perhaps the farthest reaching social work degree in terms of reputation/contacts etc int he world and I mean that. According to their website they are the largest producer of deans of social work and educators of any social work program. BUt if you want to be a leader in your field, do international work, perhaps do work across disciplines this is the best place to be in my oponion. if you just want to be a straight shooting social worker, kind of locked into the field and nothing else and just stick to that jam, then I'd recommend Hunter or another state school. 

This was great to read -- I have been accepted and it was my first choice school, but when I began looking up reviews of the program I immediately became upset and disappointed at what I was reading. Specifically, people saying that it is a waste of money, CUSSW is not as respected in the field as they would lead you to believe, and that they don't have as many connections as they lead you to believe, as well. I was shocked when I read those comments and then started second guessing my excitement about being accepted.

I'm wondering what program you did/concentration/minor/etc? I'm really interested in macro work, specifically policy work, but I've been advised to get the clinical degree because of versatility. I know you can minor in Public Policy administration, so I'm hoping to do that. Also, if you could speak to how you worked with the financial aid department to leave with only 25k in loans, that'd be super helpful. The other big factor deterring me from the program is the price, but I feel like for what I'd like to do, Columbia is the best bet for me.

Hi, Columbia grad here. 

Thank you for your advice. May I ask what you or other MSW graduates earn per year after their CUSSW degree? I'm going to have to make a decision soon and I want to know if this degree would be an "investment" and if I could earn the $$ back. People often tell me social workers don't get paid that much and so a MSW degree for 100 grand (2 yr program) , to be frank, is not worth it. 

I'm fearful of being in ALOT debt after I graduate. Also, you did mention that the fellowships/grants you applied to were highly selective, which leaves me wondering if my chances would be slim compared to other students. 

I'd really like to go but its been hard to be "practical" about my possible debt. Any tips on how to approach the financial aid office? I contacted them before I found out about my acceptance and I was not impressed with their help. They just gave me a website to apply for loans and weren't helpful in terms of giving detailed answers for fellowships/grants for international students. 

Thank you, I really appreciate your advice! :)

Hi, Columbia grad here. 

Great information here - thanks much! I am thrilled to be accepted and want to find out more how it matches up against other schools. It's great to hear that its reputation and connections are so valuable, particularly for working internationally and in policy (both things I am hoping to pursue). Wondering if you can speak more to that - what opportunities do you think CSSW provides that no other school does? More alumni/networking connections in those areas? Superior training and field placements? A wider range of relevant courses? Something else? 

FWIW I am deciding between Columbia and Penn and it's not an easy choice (but one I am happy to have to make)! 

Hey! I was accepted to Columbia last week and Denver and WashU the week prior. I was wondering if any of prospective students participated in a fellowship or assistantship? I am really nervous about the cost, and also the expenses to live up there! I am assessing the pro's and con's to each school and it is extremely difficult!! Any suggestions?  

Hey everyone congrats on your acceptances and wise choice to think prudently. I will respond to you all tonight or early tomorrow when I get home. I would be happy to provide pros and cons of the school and industry specific details throughout this process.

Until later!