Rejection thread

ianfaircloud

I felt absolutely no different about any rejection letter. I only read the first sentence or so to confirm it was a rejection, then moved on.

I don't understand the obsession with getting a "nice" rejection letter. Even the letters people say are "nice" are the same ones sent every year. None of them actually were to me personally, none of them told me I was special and different from all the other people. It's just a letter that rejected me, I cross that school off my list and that's that.

I certainly understand the power of personalized waitlists/acceptances, but I don't think I will ever understand why people care so much about what is in the rejection letter.

Actually, I can certainly see why people would want a rejection letter that's not worded in a completely perfunctory and/or cold sort of way. Applications are very expensive and a ton of work. Moreover, the application process is so competitive now that even very strong applicants can expect rejections to be the norm from most top schools.

Here's something I really *don't* understand, though: Why on earth do you keep trying to belittle and insult stressed-out posters on TGC? 

Actually, I can certainly see why people would want a rejection letter that's not worded in a completely perfunctory and/or cold sort of way. Applications are very expensive and a ton of work. Moreover, the application process is so competitive now that even very strong applicants can expect rejections to be the norm from most top schools.

Here's something I really *don't* understand, though: Why on earth do you keep trying to belittle and insult stressed-out posters on TGC? 

I'm not belittling anyone. I just don't understand the desire for a nice rejection. I paid my money to have my application considered...I wasn't paying for a nice, sweet sounding rejection that represents the exact same content as every other rejection: You aren't in. If I only got emails that said "check application" and the link sent me to the word "Rejection" it would mean the same to me as any other rejection. I don't think more or less highly of a school because of how sweet they are about rejecting me. Rather, I would think more or less of a school depending on how quick they are about rejecting me after they have sent out their waitlists/acceptances.

I would be much more grateful to the school that rejected me the day after they send acceptances with "Check Website" than the school that sends me a nicely worded snail mail 2 days later. Don't waste your time/money rejecting, spend the time/effort/money on the students you do take.

You're missing the point. Point is: Why do you care enough *about whether all people care*, so that you have to criticize what you take to be their "obsession" with receiving "nice" rejection messages?

Why do you care enough about why I care enough about what other people care about?

Edited by TheVineyard

Why do you care enough about why I care enough about what other people care about?

There's no regress here, I'm afraid :) My reason is simple: You're criticizing everyone who prefers a considerate, warm rejection letter to a cold, perfunctory one. So I'm responding to your extremely broad criticism, since I'm in that 'everyone'-group. 

Edit: As mentioned before, you accused everyone who prefers such rejection messages as having an "obsession". 

Edited by humean_skeptic

There's no regress here, I'm afraid :) My reason is simple: You're criticizing everyone who prefers a considerate, warm rejection letter to a cold, perfunctory one. So I'm responding to your extremely broad criticism, since I'm in that 'everyone'-group. 

Edit: As mentioned before, you accused everyone who prefers such rejection messages as having an "obsession". 

I am not criticizing those who prefer a warm rejection letter. I just don't think it is as valuable as most make it out to be. I guess that its better to get a nice one than a mean one, but really it is sent to everyone and is only faking personality and concern. There isn't anything behind them. Someone is assigned to write a letter that sounds nice that will be sent out to everyone. The content is always the same: You weren't good enough/didn't fit with us, goodbye.

Would you like it better if I didn't call it an "obsession" but rather a widely held over-emphasis?

I felt absolutely no different about any rejection letter. I only read the first sentence or so to confirm it was a rejection, then moved on.

I don't understand the obsession with getting a "nice" rejection letter. Even the letters people say are "nice" are the same ones sent every year. None of them actually were to me personally, none of them told me I was special and different from all the other people. It's just a letter that rejected me, I cross that school off my list and that's that.

I certainly understand the power of personalized waitlists/acceptances, but I don't think I will ever understand why people care so much about what is in the rejection letter.

Why do you have to poo poo everything? And while it is sometimes hard to read the tone of comments on the internet, I was clearly not being super serious. I just thought it'd be a fun way to lighten the mood--though, admittedly, there wasn't much uptake. You really need to dial back the pedantic nitpicking. Being right for the sake of being right is not smart, just tiresome and childish.

I got the "refusal" letter from McGill. it also claimed to list reasons for the "refusal" in the remainder of the letter, which it then did not do. very strange but whatever.

What does this even mean? Sorry I'm legit confused.

I believe I will be declining, I hope this helps you!

I believe it will!  Thanks for responding. 

Congratulations on your other offers!  Best of luck as you wait to hear back from the other schools.

Same. Just thought I'd let you know that you're in company. 

Also same. I applied to the MA at Western Ontario and it still says "Released to Program". My friend was admitted back in February off the website and received a letter in the mail with his offer details. I am suspicious that they are sending out snail mail rejections, as well.

EDIT: Thought I should probably mention what university I'm referring to.

Edited by Pheminism

Also same. I applied to the MA at Western Ontario and it still says "Released to Program". My friend was admitted back in February off the website and received a letter in the mail with his offer details. I am suspicious that they are sending out snail mail rejections, as well.

EDIT: Thought I should probably mention what university I'm referring to.

Annnnnd I've been rejected. 

NYU rejections: Did you receive an email to check a website?  Email from Dean?  Tell me about your rejection.  Some of us (or at least I) haven't receive rejections.

Email from Roberta Popik (Associate Dean) saying that my application was rejected. 

I haven't received a rejection from Columbia yet, though there are reports of rejections on gradcafe. How should I interpret this?

Interpret it like the rest of us in your position have: We've been rejected. 

Edited by objectivityofcontradiction

I haven't received a rejection from Columbia yet, though there are reports of rejections on gradcafe. How should I interpret this?

So far, three Columbia rejections have been reported on the philosophy gradcafe webpage. Two of them are for the Philosophy PhD program, and both look suspicious: for one, the comment reads "(0a, 0a, 1r: 1) I just don't get it, I thought I played this perfectly"; for the other, the comment reads (as though quoting from a rejection email) "We decided that you didn't suck up enough during your undergraduate years and I concur with this decision." The remaining rejection is for a Philosophy of Religion program.  This report seems genuine, but I think the program is affiliated with the department of religion, not philosophy (http://religion.columbia.edu/graduate/handbook/fields-study/philosophy-religion).

That said, both waitlists and acceptances have been reported for Columbia, so you're probably either rejected or on some kind of internal waitlist.