2014 Biology Grad Warriors

Monochrome Spring

Made my choice and I'll be in Houston this fall! They really impressed me on the interview and went from bottom of my list to the top. It was a long wait (5.5 weeks post interview) but very much worth it. Any Baylor or other UT folks, holla at me!

Made my choice and I'll be in Houston this fall! They really impressed me on the interview and went from bottom of my list to the top. It was a long wait (5.5 weeks post interview) but very much worth it. Any Baylor or other UT folks, holla at me!

That happened to me, too! OHSU was probably my least "exciting" school but I was blown away by the connection I felt to the faculty after visiting.

Congrats!! I grew up in Houston and really love it there; I think you'll love it too :D 

Congrats!! I grew up in Houston and really love it there; I think you'll love it too :D

Good to know, thanks! I may PM you if I have any questions about the city; I liked the variety of neighborhoods, though I'll have to get a car again when I go (should be affordable on my stipend considering the COL there).

You have some amazing choices for yourself, can't wait to see where you go. :)

Good to know, thanks! I may PM you if I have any questions about the city; I liked the variety of neighborhoods, though I'll have to get a car again when I go (should be affordable on my stipend considering the COL there).

You have some amazing choices for yourself, can't wait to see where you go. :)

Feel free! I love talking about Houston to anyone who will listen :P 

And thanks a lot! :) 

Congratulations!

Any suggestions on safe, nice, but affordable places to live in Houston that are super close to Baylor College of Medicine? I know public transportation isn't always the best there, and I will have a car, but might be wise for the first year to live close enough to walk or take the bus to campus. Suggestions?

Any suggestions on safe, nice, but affordable places to live in Houston that are super close to Baylor College of Medicine? I know public transportation isn't always the best there, and I will have a car, but might be wise for the first year to live close enough to walk or take the bus to campus. Suggestions?

Would also be interested in this. I'm probably going to buy a car but would be nice to not have to use it to commute ($$, environment, etc). I know they have student housing close to campus, no idea how good it is.

I've officially accepted the offer from Penn State!  :D I'm excited! Still a little worried since I can't start working on housing until my SO hears, but I know where I'm going!!

Yay! It's such a good feeling to know where you're going and start to make plans.

BU has a long list of vaccinations you need to have had, so I just had blood drawn for immunization titers this morning. Everything is being set in motion!

I got two offers, one from Purdue (PULSe) and another from the University of Utah (Molecular Biology program). As an international student, I don't have many criteria (appart from the stipend) to decide, as I've never been to any of those places and don't know much about housing, living in those cities, quality of research... Someone who has been/studied in any of them have some advide/suggestions? Someone got accepted in any of them? I can't make a decision!!!!  :unsure:

I got two offers, one from Purdue (PULSe) and another from the University of Utah (Molecular Biology program). As an international student, I don't have many criteria (appart from the stipend) to decide, as I've never been to any of those places and don't know much about housing, living in those cities, quality of research... Someone who has been/studied in any of them have some advide/suggestions? Someone got accepted in any of them? I can't make a decision!!!! :unsure:

I visited Purdue for the molecular pharmacology program, was a smaller program and wasn't particularly impressed. The other programs might be better, and I can't compare to Utah. West Lafayette was pretty meh I'm my opinion too. There were a couple people there doing decent research though. Try to look at papers and look for PIs, and try to figure out what kind of equipment is available to you too.

I got two offers, one from Purdue (PULSe) and another from the University of Utah (Molecular Biology program). As an international student, I don't have many criteria (appart from the stipend) to decide, as I've never been to any of those places and don't know much about housing, living in those cities, quality of research... Someone who has been/studied in any of them have some advide/suggestions? Someone got accepted in any of them? I can't make a decision!!!!  :unsure:

Have you tried talking to current grad schools at these programs? Ask them what they like/don't like about the program and living there. Additionally ask how their expectations of the program have been met/haven't been met. In my experience, grad students are happy to share their experiences.

I'll be attending Pittsburgh IBGP and planning to start early. :)

Anyone else?

Now grad school hunting is over.

And let the apartment hunting begin... hooray another frustration lol

I'm from the Pittsburgh area, let me know if you want to know anything about neighborhoods, etc.

I'm from the Pittsburgh area, let me know if you want to know anything about neighborhoods, etc.

Thanks MackF!!

I haven't had so much luck with apartment hunting so far.

I feel like I'm gonna settle with Efficiency unit at University-Owned apartment (off-campus)....

Being from Pittsburgh area, do you know or have you heard anything about these off-campus uni-owned apartments?

Thanks MackF!!

I haven't had so much luck with apartment hunting so far.

I feel like I'm gonna settle with Efficiency unit at University-Owned apartment (off-campus)....

Being from Pittsburgh area, do you know or have you heard anything about these off-campus uni-owned apartments?

I don't know anything about them personally but I just pulled up Pitt's apartment page to look at what neighborhoods they are in.  The closest ones would be the "Oakland" neighborhoods, with shadyside, squirrel hill, and bloomfield being just a few minutes away.  As far as the apartments themselves I'm not too sure.  I have plenty of friends at Pitt for undergrad and I know some of them live in apartments, and they seem to be doing fine.

Would also be interested in this. I'm probably going to buy a car but would be nice to not have to use it to commute ($$, environment, etc). I know they have student housing close to campus, no idea how good it is.

I currently work at BCM. For getting around Houston in general it's better to have a car. I personally take metro buses/metro rail because I don't like driving in the medical center. (I don't like walking there either, but you have to choose one!)

I have no idea how the student housing is, everyone I know that works there or studies there has apartments elsewhere.

If you are planning on getting a car here, it's very possible that you can buy one off someone else who just graduated/is leaving. There are posts here on all the bulletin boards in the hallways about people selling their cars. (also people looking for room mates or to sub let apts/condos etc).

Getting an apartment nearby may be fairly costly, unless you are willing to looks at studios (and there are not too many of those). Many of the 1+ bedrooms go for over $1000 a month. Two or more bedrooms are much more, sometimes twice as much. Many people have roommates.

I currently work at BCM. For getting around Houston in general it's better to have a car. I personally take metro buses/metro rail because I don't like driving in the medical center. (I don't like walking there either, but you have to choose one!)

I have no idea how the student housing is, everyone I know that works there or studies there has apartments elsewhere.

If you are planning on getting a car here, it's very possible that you can buy one off someone else who just graduated/is leaving. There are posts here on all the bulletin boards in the hallways about people selling their cars. (also people looking for room mates or to sub let apts/condos etc).

Getting an apartment nearby may be fairly costly, unless you are willing to looks at studios (and there are not too many of those). Many of the 1+ bedrooms go for over $1000 a month. Two or more bedrooms are much more, sometimes twice as much. Many people have roommates.

Thanks for the post! I think I may get a car here and drive it down; only because my Dad has a business selling cars and could get me a good deal in the 4+ months I have before I have to move. 

I noticed the housing near the TMC is pretty pricey, so I figured I would look further out. I'm thinking Montrose and Eastwood so far, the Heights looks nice but seems crazy expensive. I plan to go to Houston the last weekend of June for a few days to find and secure a place. Do you think that could work as long as I have the money in hand & ready to sign? Not sure if that'll be too late to move in for August.

I am also interested in the Houston area. It seems like there are a few of you Houston-ites out there. Can you guys tell me anything about Sugar Land? It seems a bit far (maybe about 30 min w/o traffic?), but the low rent for big houses is really alluring....and it seems to be a great neighborhood. Any comments would be appreciated.