2014 Biology Grad Warriors

Monochrome Spring

Well, it appears that neither Weill nor Columbia liked me very much.  The decision has been made: I'll be starting at Gerstner Sloan-Kettering in July!

I'll be attending Pittsburgh IBGP and planning to start early. :)

Anyone else?

Now grad school hunting is over.

And let the apartment hunting begin... hooray another frustration lol

Edited by Science_Nerd

Thanks, yeah I've looked into the Mt. Vernon area, it's nice around there. I've also been looking at the crime maps, but like everyone always tells me, there are pockets of good and bad there. Knowing where the bad pockets are will be my biggest challenge until I actually live there. 

I haven't yet looked into the circulator or shuttle routes, I'll check that out next, thanks for the idea. As for a roommate, I won't really know until I get into better contact with the department to see if anyone is in need of a roommate... so for now I'm just looking at one bedroom or studio places. 

I just accepted an offer to JHU as well and I'm looking to find a roommate. I've been looking around and it seems like you can get really nice places pretty close to campus for less money by getting a roommate.

If there's anyone else in the Baltimore area looking for a roommate feel free to send me a private message.

So perfect!!! When do you think you'll move?

I'm guessing early August, but I'm not 100% sure yet--don't know how early they want us to be out there. 

Just sorted out my summer RA work with my advisor and found an awesome house to live in. Also found out that my stipend from my fellowship is given before classes start in a big semester lump sum. So excited.

Budget very carefully, it's easy to go over when you have to wait several weeks for your next paycheck. Edited by Vene

I'm guessing early August, but I'm not 100% sure yet--don't know how early they want us to be out there. 

You should know that the rental cycle in Boston for September 1-ish has already started. If you live within a $200 plane ticket, I strongly recommend coming asap for 3-4 days with a checkbook and locking down an apartment. It's an insane market, to say the least.

You should know that the rental cycle in Boston for September 1-ish has already started. If you live within a $200 plane ticket, I strongly recommend coming asap for 3-4 days with a checkbook and locking down an apartment. It's an insane market, to say the least.

'salright dood. I was out there for my undergraduate years, so I'm aware of the craziness that is Boston's housing market. Going to be living with my boyfriend who's already out there. We're on it. 

Just accepted my offer from UTSW! I am really glad I don't have to go through interviews again for another 4-6 years!

Good for you! I, on the other hand, got an offer from Baylor and was wait listed (indefinitely) at UTSW...even though I am interested in the same things as you. Weird how all that works out, huh?