Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Hi everybody!

I've been stalking this board for a while now, so I thought I should introduce myself and officially join this wonderful community of historians :)  This thread makes the waiting game almost bearable. So thanks, all you lovely people!

Congrats to all the Stanford admits! I applied but haven't heard back. I could try and convince myself it is because I am abroad and cannot be contacted via phone atm but not sure it would work. Not a good fit with the dept. and it is tough as hell getting in there. Hope you all love it! 

Edited by Gambaosaka1

Congrats to the Stanford admits.  And to those who have only received rejections or radio silence from schools that are admitting, remember it is early, chins up and all.  

Oh congratulations!!!! What's your focus?

Not yet! But once they get my official tranacripts processed I'm hoping to hear then.

I'm doing Ancient History! NCSU was one of the only programs I found which doesn't require prior experience in Greek or Latin.

Yeah, same here.  I just sent mine in today, so hopefully I'll find out about funding soon!

I talked to a POI today who told me that while I was the top applicant in my field today, that the school won't be taking any people from my field this year....and now Stanford made admit calls and I didn't get one... 

Thanks for all the encouragement. I really needed it tonight!

And Josh, that absolutely sucks. I wish programs would announce at the beginning of the application season if they aren't taking specific interests.

I just got accepted to a UCLA master's program instead of the PhD. They actually reached out to me a few weeks ago and asked if it would be okay to transfer my application, given that one of the professors I had hoped to work with would be retiring and they just couldn't take me in without an advisor. It was a shot in the dark anyway (couldn't get any email responses after I tried to contact professors), but glad they read my application. If I get funding it will be a nice backup plan in case the PhD apps don't work out.

I'm doing Ancient History! NCSU was one of the only programs I found which doesn't require prior experience in Greek or Latin.

Yeah, same here. I just sent mine in today, so hopefully I'll find out about funding soon!

Very nice! I actually had a textbook last semester for my Ancient Rome course that was written by a professor at NCSU. So no foreign language exam for you either?

Oh fingers crossed for the both of us! It would be cool if we both went there then we'll know at least one person

I just got accepted to a UCLA master's program instead of the PhD. They actually reached out to me a few weeks ago and asked if it would be okay to transfer my application, given that one of the professors I had hoped to work with would be retiring and they just couldn't take me in without an advisor. It was a shot in the dark anyway (couldn't get any email responses after I tried to contact professors), but glad they read my application. If I get funding it will be a nice backup plan in case the PhD apps don't work out.

Hey! I was told to switch before application as they said my language proficiency wouldn't be at the level required for a PhD but a funded MA would get me there. Might see you there! What is your area if you don't mind me asking?

Hey! I was told to switch before application as they said my language proficiency wouldn't be at the level required for a PhD but a funded MA would get me there. Might see you there! What is your area if you don't mind me asking?

My area is German/Japanese post-War comparative history. I already have an MA (German history), and I'm hoping to go straight to a PhD program without taking another master's course (spent the past three years in Japan beefing up on my Japanese), and luckily I've one acceptance so far in the PhD realm. I'll be going as long as it's funded (looks like I'll have to wait and see about that), but UCLA seems to have a really legit master's program. If I were you, I'd take it if it's funded.

My area is German/Japanese post-War comparative history. I already have an MA (German history), and I'm hoping to go straight to a PhD program without taking another master's course (spent the past three years in Japan beefing up on my Japanese), and luckily I've one acceptance so far in the PhD realm. I'll be going as long as it's funded (looks like I'll have to wait and see about that), but UCLA seems to have a really legit master's program. If I were you, I'd take it if it's funded.

Hey, I have an MA as well in (Japanese Studies) although I will probably be somewhere between N3 and N2 (closer to the former in all honesty by the fall of 2015). I am currently enrolled in an immersive language course in Tokyo.

I would love to work with Prof Marotti (and Nile Green, the South Asian historian, in the future) which is the real reason I am considering another MA (if fully funded of course). Although I have also applied to 11 PhD programs as well and have so far had an interview with UNC (the other place where the faculty fit is great for my research). 

Good luck with everything.

Hey, I have an MA as well in (Japanese Studies) although I will probably be somewhere between N3 and N2 (closer to the former in all honesty by the fall of 2015). I am currently enrolled in an immersive language course in Tokyo.

I would love to work with Prof Marotti (and Nile Green, the South Asian historian, in the future) which is the real reason I am considering another MA (if fully funded of course). Although I have also applied to 11 PhD programs as well and have so far had an interview with UNC (the other place where the faculty fit is great for my research). 

Good luck with everything.

Oh great, good luck! I'm in Nagoya. I'm somewhere between N2 and N1. I think I'll be fine. I recommend studying Heisig's Remembering the Kanji religiously. It will work if you do it. Seriously good luck to you.

This silence is deafening. When will more of these East Coast and Southern schools send out notifications? I have heard nothing as of yet and it's killing me. By this time in 2014 and 2013 Duke, UVA, and UT-Austin already notified their acceptances. I'm not sure if the results page helps my anxiety or adds to it, but I'm going to have an ulcer by March.