Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Cool! Well, they just have one full-time professor in ancient history, so it must have been him I guess! Nope, no language exams! I had all but given up hope that I could pursue Ancient History as my field, due to my lack of language experience, until I found NCSU. Now I actually might get my PhD, eventually! By the way, I heard back from the Director of Graduate Programs about funding. She said they'd hopefully be making decisions and sending out emails by the end of the week!

It would be great to know someone there! NCSU is my top choice, along with Texas Tech because they're offering a similar deal. I just hope funding comes through on at least one of them...

Oh that's awesome! Are you gonna go visit to see if you click with the professor?

I can't believe we might hear back so soon...Now I'll be obsessively checking my email once again. I hope for both of us that we are presented with good offers. NCSU is one of my top choices, so I'm holding out hope for funding. Let me know when you find out!

I really love it here. Really supportive department with great opportunities all around. Many different ways to be involved and engage in the scholarship/friendship of other students and faculty. I couldn't be happier with my decision. So far, I don't know anyone who is absolutely disappointed in their advisor either (though I admit I mostly know professors in the early American/antebellum time periods/fields) Also, great research funding available as well as dissertation support. People are not struggling to pay for their research here (or so it seems from my eyes and from other students who are off doing research).  IU is also unique in that it houses the Journal of American History and the American Historical Review (actually almost across the street from each other!), and grad students can work there as part of their funding. I realize I sound like an IU commercial, but I really have nothing but nice things to say.

As for Bloomington, I do like it; however, I came from living in a city so it is a bit different. Cost of living is really low (2 bedroom/1.5 bath two floor townhouse for $792 a month), and because IU is such a big school, there are always things to do. Great ethnic food scene, great theater productions always coming through, variety of bars to commiserate at. There are also great state parks/places to hike nearby. So while it is not city living, I am genuinely happy here except when I want really late night food or to buy some beer on a Sunday (can't sell it then here!)

Now I wish I had applied there!  I'm also in Early American History.  Or at least I'll be if I get in anywhere.

Hey all - just created my account to claim the Illinois admit. My first of the cycle! It was an email with offer letter attachment from the DGS about an hour ago. The letter says that this year they had a large and strong applicant pool, and it also mentioned the name of the faculty member who supported my application. Funding offer was also included, along with an invitation to a prospective student's weekend March 15-17.

I love the name Fianna! It's on my list for baby names!

Also, congrats on your acceptance!

Edited by rmw

Argh I'm out of upvotes once again!

Congrats Fianna!!! That's awesome news :) I see you're also an Americanist. What's your period?

Through 1865 is where I'm living now. I'm looking to move firmly back to colonial for my PhD. I find the clash of empires period fascinating lately. Although that's been heavily influenced by some fantastic empire scholars at UNLV that I've been working with on my minor field requirements the last two semesters.

I edited my comment because I realized you'd actually mentioned your period in a previous one, but I had rudely skimmed it! Sounds really interesting :) one of my best profs was a colonial historian, she did a lot of work on loyalists during the revolution.

There is a Harvard website rejection on the results so I rushed to check mine. Unless I'm looking in the wrong portal, I don't see anything new.

Edited by Chiqui74

I have a hot tip for colonial americanists: learn some Canadian history. A professor of mine said they need professors at Canadian schools to teach us history.

Two of my colonial historians, during my undergrad, said the same thing, and they also added that the benefits+salary is better in the snowy north. 

There is a Harvard website rejection on the results so I rushed to check mine. Unless I'm looking in the wrong portal, I don't see anything new.

Particularly suspicious since Harvard usually sends rejections by post.

Quick question -- if you've received an offer from one of your top choices, is it generally advisable to withdraw one's application from one's non-top choices?

I know someone who did this with a few of her options and it didn't hurt her at all. But her top choice was the same university she did her MA at and it had always been far and away her desire to remain there.

If it were me though, I'd probably just promptly decline any such offers.

I know someone who did this with a few of her options and it didn't hurt her at all. But her top choice was the same university she did her MA at and it had always been far and away her desire to remain there.

If it were me though, I'd probably just promptly decline any such offers.

Thanks, Bactrian!

Particularly suspicious since Harvard usually sends rejections by post.

I don't think it's 'suspicious' that some applicants will get decisions on days you don't expect or by means you don't expect. Or rather, I'm sure some entries in the homepage survey are fabricated, but the vast majority of them are probably perfectly honest. Therefore, I think discounting every report that seems slightly unusual based on past years' trends would lead to a more imperfect understanding of the admissions process than taking all self-reported results at face value.

Moreover, a look at the survey tells me that a lot of people were actually rejected by Harvard via the application portal last year, so I'm not even sure how much of an outlier the result in question is.

In any case, congratulations to today's acceptees!

Edited by L13

No apologies necessary, I really love the work of several scholars there but had a weird feeling about applying. I get these "woo woo" feelings sometimes, which totally belie my logical historian side, but hey, my mom was a Wiccan for a long time.

You'll get in somewhere great! I'm sorry to hear you were rejected, though I am a firm believer that we end up where we need to be. There I go with the "woo woo" again ;)

yea that's true and I really appreciate cheers coz i really do need one now. I really wanted to get in there coz of Dr. Laura Hein (I even referred to her work in my MA thesis) but I guess something wasn't quite "right" or "fit" enough...