Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Molly--are you still waiting on some programs? Don't give up hope just yet! It ain't over til it's over!

And if you don't get in this year, keep in mind that many of the most successful applicants on this site have gone through several application cycles (check out the Dealing with rejection thread...TMP and RevolutionBlues told their inspiring stories there). You can take an extra year to bolster your application :)

Edited by ashiepoo72

Guys... it is starting to look like I am not getting in anywhere... maybe I should start trolling around usajobs for a Park Ranger position?

That is actually my Plan B as well. My former career is in Natural Resources/Land Management law enforcement. I've got a couple of aps in with the Forest Service and Army Corps of Engineers for Ranger/Tech positions.

Thanks, ashiepoo! Your positivity is contagious  :) I think I just had too many reach schools this go around (Harvard, Columbia, Berkeley, Stanford, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, UVA, UMD, and Boston College). 0-4 so far, probably more unofficially based on the results page.

Not that my stats are bad, but it seems like they are nothing compared to everyone with master's degrees! I thought being on a "nontraditional" track would be appealing to adcoms (I did Teach For America after college and I'm still teaching now). So my fingers will stay crossed until the end of March! Good vibes, everybody.

I'm glad I can spread some positivity around here :) I get out most of my anger when I'm on campus dealing with a-holes, so Gradcafe is my happy place haha

I don't think my quantitative stats are anything special, really. There are plenty of people with perfect scores, which I certainly don't have. Have faith in your SOP and writing sample and especially in your fit with programs.

My hope for today is that Madison puts me out of my misery. When I initially applied, UW and Indiana were my dream programs. I'm super stoked about the schools that've accepted me, but I really want all the cards on the table so I can, ya know, figure out my life haha

Thanks, ashiepoo! Your positivity is contagious  :) I think I just had too many reach schools this go around (Harvard, Columbia, Berkeley, Stanford, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, UVA, UMD, and Boston College). 0-4 so far, probably more unofficially based on the results page.

Not that my stats are bad, but it seems like they are nothing compared to everyone with master's degrees! I thought being on a "nontraditional" track would be appealing to adcoms (I did Teach For America after college and I'm still teaching now). So my fingers will stay crossed until the end of March! Good vibes, everybody.

Also, sometimes it has nothing to do with you as an applicant. Over the past two admission seasons, I was rejected from 10 programs, some of which specifically mentioned that the person with my interests in mind got 0 slots. I think if you're really interested in a program, your second attempt at an application will almost always fare better than your first. 

This is coming from someone who didn't do a master's degree, so chin up! I'm sure you'll get there with persistence!

Hi, accepted for a History PhD at Cambridge, and have applied for AHRC/CHESS funding as a home student.

The other day, i noticed that the 'scholarship application' section has disappeared from CAMSIS/graduate self service account. Anyone have any idea why this might be?

Hi, accepted for a History PhD at Cambridge, and have applied for AHRC/CHESS funding as a home student.

The other day, i noticed that the 'scholarship application' section has disappeared from CAMSIS/graduate self service account. Anyone have any idea why this might be?

I'm also applying to Cambridge but for an MPhil and different scholarships, so I can't help you. Have you tried asking here? The Student Room is far more knowledgeable about UK admissions and there's a very active Cambridge thread whose members may be able to give you an answer.

I'm also applying to Cambridge but for an MPhil and different scholarships, so I can't help you. Have you tried asking here? The Student Room is far more knowledgeable about UK admissions and there's a very active Cambridge thread whose members may be able to give you an answer.

Oh I'm afraid I've already been over there, I'm in the Cambridge postgrad thread fretting about the same issue :)

Edited by danwaterfield

If no one can help you, maybe you can email someone at Cambridge with your question?

I have! But they take a while to reply.  I'm just being anxious, really. Spent ages googling to see if anyone had had the same thing happen to them, and apparently not. 

I actually feel like my MA hurt me more than it helped. I loved my courses, had top essay marks all year, then fell flat on my face in exams. It was a 100% exam-based program. (The essays were considered "coursework" - if you replicated them on your exams, you could expect roughly similar marks, but they didn't count towards your final grades.) To add insult to injury, I flubbed my dissertation. Six months of original research, hitting archives weekly (except while studying for the exams - hey, I tried) and meeting with my awesome advisor, grinning like an idiot because the damn thing was shaping up to write itself. Then my "housing crisis" hit. I was too embarrassed to tell my advisor I was homeless and essentially being held for ransom by dodgy estate agents who had my bank details. What kind of intelligent person gets herself into that kind of mess? By the time all of that finally resolved, I'd lost a month and a half of writing up time and started panicking. The final paper came nowhere near doing justice to the source material (which felt insulting to the subjects, honestly) and it was a mess. Revising it this fall... I was humiliated for my former self. 

I came out of undergrad with distinction and accolades, a publication, a great record of community service and participation... And came out of my MA a mess. The point of my sob story: experience can be a disadvantage. Your nontraditional track makes you an awesome candidate. You can put a wholly positive spin on it, and going into something with a clear, level head is always better than having to explain how you "learned from your mistakes" etc. 

Kansas is notifying!  WHAT?!?

I just saw that. Nothing yet. My husband got in to their political science program (found out yesterday) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Anyone want to claim Kansas? What subfield/what POI?

I received this really helpful advice from a POI who has been a dream to me during this process. I thought I'd share an excerpt here:

"Remember, too, when you get offers - or don’t - that universities are looking both to the quality of the student’s thinking and writing, and to the need to match up the student with appropriate supervision. It’s common enough that the ‘match’ isn’t right no matter what the quality, and for a student to embark upon something as long and difficult as a doctorate without the right supervision is a disaster waiting to happen. I say that because from your perspective, too, the match needs to be right - ie you need to be confident that you’re going to receive the kind of guidance you need. So it’s the university assessing things from its side, and the applicant should be doing precisely the same. In other words, a two-way process."

I received this really helpful advice from a POI who has been a dream to me during this process. I thought I'd share an excerpt here:

"Remember, too, when you get offers - or don’t - that universities are looking both to the quality of the student’s thinking and writing, and to the need to match up the student with appropriate supervision. It’s common enough that the ‘match’ isn’t right no matter what the quality, and for a student to embark upon something as long and difficult as a doctorate without the right supervision is a disaster waiting to happen. I say that because from your perspective, too, the match needs to be right - ie you need to be confident that you’re going to receive the kind of guidance you need. So it’s the university assessing things from its side, and the applicant should be doing precisely the same. In other words, a two-way process."

Aaammmeeennn.... (also a nod to your religious history field)

It's good to remember that Aubstopper. I'd just the like the option of being able to assess. 

Me toooo. You and I are in the same boat atm. I really wish people irl would stop asking me if I've heard anything yet. 

Edited by Aubstopper

Hi! I am on the same boat. My impression is that our forms are presently being assessed and that's why that part is presently blank. I gotta admit that  CAMSIS feels pretty bland at first sight but it is actually a roller coaster of emotions!

Edited by Smokydog