Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

I think out of all the schoold from which I haven't heard, only two have not made any acceptances yet (or at least that haven posted on the results page), those are UMich and UPenn, so I've sort of come to terms with the fact that those are the only two for which I still have a chance. At this point, I just want to know, whatever the answer may be, so I can start making solid moving plans and get on with my life.  Not knowing is killing me, even if I already have choices.

Edited by Chiqui74

I think out of all the schoold from which I haven't heard, only two have not made any acceptances yet (or at least that haven posted on the results page, those are UMich and UPenn, so I've sort of come to terms with the fact that those are the only two for which I still have a chance. At this point, I just want to know, whatever the answer may be, so I can start making solid moving plans and get on with my life.  Not knowing is killing me, even if I already have choices.

A million times this, I feel your pain!

Ellebe - I know exactly how you feel, and I'm very much in the same boat, but don't count UVA completely out. They send a few of the best fellowships and do their big wave later. Also do you know of any decent cheap hotels near Kew? I've got to hit up the archives soon.

Ellebe - I know exactly how you feel, and I'm very much in the same boat, but don't count UVA completely out. They send a few of the best fellowships and do their big wave later. Also do you know of any decent cheap hotels near Kew? I've got to hit up the archives soon.

Ah thanks JJWS, good intel! I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us. 

Will PM you about Kew :)

I totally feel the not knowing thing. It's been really frustrating because my husband has heard from 6/7 programs. I've heard from 2/8. He's been accepted at 3, waitlisted at 1, and it would be nice to know if we're going to end up with any more overlapping programs. We'll both be really happy at Illinois, so I'm not really stressing it. But it would be nice to know so that we can plan.

ellebe: I've been living in London, Doha and (now) Tokyo over the past 4/5 years but am more than happy moving to a small-ish university town. Having said that, living in San Fran/New York would've been amazing too. Are you from the States originally like JJWS? How do you like London?

I went into the process applying to 12 places thinking I'd be satisfied even if I just got into one, as long as it was funded. As I only applied to places I'd be happy to be. If I get can get into a program, I think you and everyone else here will too! Curious to find out where you all end up going.

I'm with Ashiepoo on the idea of doing something you love. Getting paid to study Japanese history and do my research under the supervision of a great professor sounds like a dream come true.

just got accepted to Univ of Hawaii at Manoa for Ph.D.!!!!!! so, 1/7 so far (Rej: Northwestern and Indiana Univ; Pending: Claremont Grad Univ, Washington State Univ, UCSC, and SUNY at Albany). Any Univ of Hawaii accepted colleagues here?

Edited by wacyeah

Congrats to all the new admits!!

So I have a random question that I would love everyone's advice!

Do you recommend for someone in an MA program to have a roommate their first year? I know having a roommate would help with rent and socializing, but does it impact that first year at all?

Congrats to all the new admits!!

So I have a random question that I would love everyone's advice!

Do you recommend for someone in an MA program to have a roommate their first year? I know having a roommate would help with rent and socializing, but does it impact that first year at all?

It's your personal choice. It shouldn't affect your first year unless you let it. I found roomates two years ago when I moved to Chapel Hill on Craig's list and it worked out fine. Just be up front about your expectations regarding cleanliness, noise, etc. rather than trying to say what you think people want to hear. It will save you some stress down the road.

just got accepted to Univ of Hawaii at Manoa for Ph.D.!!!!!! so, 1/7 so far (Rej: Northwestern and Indiana Univ; Pending: Claremont Grad Univ, Washington State Univ, UCSC, and SUNY at Albany). Any Univ of Hawaii accepted colleagues here?

Amazing! Decided against applying there right at the end. Jealous!

Tomorrow was a holiday already, although I'm not sure it will actually be a snow day - it's stopped snowing in the past hour.

Edited by telkanuru

So, what happens to classes on snow days? I mean, there are contact hour requirements to get credits but with all these snow days those hours are reduced. That means content gets skipped over, rushed, etc. That can't be good.

ellebe: I've been living in London, Doha and (now) Tokyo over the past 4/5 years but am more than happy moving to a small-ish university town. Having said that, living in San Fran/New York would've been amazing too. Are you from the States originally like JJWS? How do you like London?

I went into the process applying to 12 places thinking I'd be satisfied even if I just got into one, as long as it was funded. As I only applied to places I'd be happy to be. If I get can get into a program, I think you and everyone else here will too! Curious to find out where you all end up going.

I'm with Ashiepoo on the idea of doing something you love. Getting paid to study Japanese history and do my research under the supervision of a great professor sounds like a dream come true.

Gambaosaka, I'm a Canuck, but I'm applying for American history! If I get in, it'll be the first time I ever live somewhere without free healthcare. How exactly does that work with regards to the insurance included in a typical funding package? Like, if you break your arm or you need antibiotics for tonsillitis or something, do you have to pay anything? 

I also had an admission dream, only in mine I got rejected from the University of Western Ontario (where I did not apply) and they sent a detailed analysis of my app (and Twitter account, for some reason) determining I had only a 6% likelihood of success as a PhD student. I'm really glad that's not what real rejections look like. Can you imagine?

Congrats wacyeah!!

So, what happens to classes on snow days? I mean, there are contact hour requirements to get credits but with all these snow days those hours are reduced. That means content gets skipped over, rushed, etc. That can't be good.

Sometimes things get rescheduled, but it depends on room availability, professors' workloads, aligning students' time (i.e. a prof may have an hour and find a room on a Wednesday, and if it works for at least half the class, that's when it'll happen)... Just more proof that winter blows, except for the Olaf-building (lookin' at you, Ashiepoo)