Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

I only know about Davis because I had a blow up with the graduate secretary regarding her refusal to take e-transcripts from a foreign school I attended. I found out through her that they had a fellowship deadline of 2/4, and said that they don't evaluate until your application is marked as complete (which was 2/11, unfortunately). I've seen in the results section a second wave of acceptances (along with rejections) in March--I'm going to make the assumption that they admit strong applicants who didn't make that deadline/strong applicants who were on their unofficial waitlist. The UC/CSU system is a little odd like that.

Though again, it's like 85% me conjecturing and trying to make sense of the silence. 

Is it common to get TA-ships your first year (generally)? I was under the impression that it generally starts the second year, but my mind is so inundated with PhD admissions factoids I'm not even sure what's correct and what isn't (see: psychotic break). 

Okay, I am a bit weirded out. Someone just reported a rejection from Vanderbilt's Graduate Department of Religion, saying they got it via email yesterday. It is the only religion program I applied for. The GDR adcomm works pretty closely with the History adcomm because they have a large overlap of faculty and often, of applicants as well. Campus was shut yesterday, though, so I find this a bit odd and suspicious...

I logged in to my portal and didn't see anything from the GDR or History. I think it's a false alarm.

Happy Birthday Ivan!  Cheers from across the pond!

Still 0 for 6 in terms of hearing from programs, although it seems pretty clear that Emory was a wash.  Good luck for the rest of the week.  Any news if UNC will be open tomorrow?

Closed today. Could go either way tomorrow, depends on whether ice melts.

Bummer about W&M, Chiqui. At least you can cross that one off finally. Rejection sucks no matter what, but having program decisions in front of you is so much better than the wait.

I only know about Davis because I had a blow up with the graduate secretary regarding her refusal to take e-transcripts from a foreign school I attended. I found out through her that they had a fellowship deadline of 2/4, and said that they don't evaluate until your application is marked as complete (which was 2/11, unfortunately). I've seen in the results section a second wave of acceptances (along with rejections) in March--I'm going to make the assumption that they admit strong applicants who didn't make that deadline/strong applicants who were on their unofficial waitlist. The UC/CSU system is a little odd like that.

Though again, it's like 85% me conjecturing and trying to make sense of the silence. 

Is it common to get TA-ships your first year (generally)? I was under the impression that it generally starts the second year, but my mind is so inundated with PhD admissions factoids I'm not even sure what's correct and what isn't (see: psychotic break). 

I think some of the UCs definitely have multiple waves, as do other state universities. Some of this has to do with how they fund their admits (so a fellowship wave followed by a TA wave) or if some of the first wave declines the offer of admission, they move on to a second wave (for some programs this is more of a wait list and for others it's sort of a pseudo-wait list but more likely to get admitted than an actual wait list). Not all the UCs notify in waves, though I believe most of them have a wait list. You'd know more about Davis (from talking to the grad secretary) than I would; if they accepted your transcripts, I'd assume you still have a shot.

Some schools do fund first-years through TAships because they don't have enough fellowships to go around. I personally would prefer to not have TA obligations my first year (talk about overwhelming), but then again I just want to get my PhD with funding, so I'll take whatever they give me!

Good evening everyone! Been sick this weekend so haven't really been on the boards or checking grad schools. Tonight while checking my application status for University of South Carolina I saw something new:

Application Status: Program Admission Recommendation Submitted to Graduate School

Admission Decision: Decision Pending

Does this mean I'll hopefully be finding out this week if I've been accepted or not? The wording is odd, so I wanted to see what y'all thought.

@ashiepoo72,

How did you find out you were accepted to UCSB? I could be blind, but I dont see a place to check my application status. When I log in, there are two tabs - Application Sections and Department Communications. I presume you received an official letter under the latter tab?

EDIT:

@KBHistorian, 

It sounds like the history department is considering accepting you, so now they passed along your application to the graduate department and now theyre processing your application

Edited by LeventeL

Congrats to the UCLA admit. Has anyone else heard from them? I'm hoping I didn't miss out on a wave of acceptances.

I think they do it in waves because a friend of mine received good news from UCLA a long time ago (over two weeks). Then again, he was currently working with a faculty member there so perhaps he was told that in an informal manner.

Bummer about W&M, Chiqui. At least you can cross that one off finally. Rejection sucks no matter what, but having program decisions in front of you is so much better than the wait.

I think some of the UCs definitely have multiple waves, as do other state universities. Some of this has to do with how they fund their admits (so a fellowship wave followed by a TA wave) or if some of the first wave declines the offer of admission, they move on to a second wave (for some programs this is more of a wait list and for others it's sort of a pseudo-wait list but more likely to get admitted than an actual wait list). Not all the UCs notify in waves, though I believe most of them have a wait list. You'd know more about Davis (from talking to the grad secretary) than I would; if they accepted your transcripts, I'd assume you still have a shot.

Some schools do fund first-years through TAships because they don't have enough fellowships to go around. I personally would prefer to not have TA obligations my first year (talk about overwhelming), but then again I just want to get my PhD with funding, so I'll take whatever they give me!

Ah. I figure if I'm accepted to Davis, I'd be given a TA-ship, given that my POI  had said to me multiple times on the phone how exciting it is that my area of research is in exactly the sort of classes he teaches. I have no problem with that because I love teaching (even undergrads who don't care!), but obviously would like to focus on getting my feet in the water first before diving into the deep end. As long as they don't try to make me a TA for any of my languages, I'll be okay with it (language TAs essentially teach the course; especially if it's a less common language). 

Transcript problem was eventually sorted out and the grad secretary sent me an email confirming receipt of all materials. I think my application will get full consideration but not as much consideration as if all my materials were in the same day as my app. Oh well. C'est la vie. 

Good evening everyone! Been sick this weekend so haven't really been on the boards or checking grad schools. Tonight while checking my application status for University of South Carolina I saw something new:

Application Status: Program Admission Recommendation Submitted to Graduate School

Does this mean I'll hopefully be finding out this week if I've been accepted or not? The wording is odd, so I wanted to see what y'all thought.

This sounds very promising!! It looks like they recommended you for admission and now it's just going through the graduate school.

@ashiepoo72,

How did you find out you were accepted to UCSB? I could be blind, but I dont see a place to check my application status. When I log in, there are two tabs - Application Sections and Department Communications. I presume you received an official letter under the latter tab?

I received an informal email from the DGS with my faculty sponsor cc'd the first week of February, then received an email about a week later from the grad secretary with an official offer letter attached. At that point, the website changed: the first page was a decision letter, the application status had changed to "provisional admission" and a new box that said "pending action" appeared with a link to the statement of intent to register.

At face value, it sounds like you're admitted! Congrats! :) 

I think they do it in waves because a friend of mine received good news from UCLA a long time ago (over two weeks). Then again, he was currently working with a faculty member there so perhaps he was told that in an informal manner.

Thanks for letting me know!

Good afternoon/evening everyone.  I haven't been too active lately because I took off out of town this past weekend.  Let the computer, and my wife kept me off my phone.  It was nice.  Got my rejection from Arizona State this afternoon.  Pretty bummed. Right now it is looking like if I don't hear about funding from OU soon I may be out of luck this cycle.  Granted UNLV is still an option since they haven't decided yet, but it was pretty much my least preferred option as well. Anyway, congrats to all the new admits.  Gotta head out now, will check in a bit later.

@KBHistorian, 

It sounds like the history department is considering accepting you, so now they passed along your application to the graduate department and now theyre processing your application

This sounds very promising!! It looks like they recommended you for admission and now it's just going through the graduate school.

At face value, it sounds like you're admitted! Congrats! :)

Thanks everyone! If it's true I'll be very surprised since they only accept a few students each year. I'll keep everyone posted once I know for sure! I'm kinda in shock tbh

I'll claim one of the Vandy admits.

So far admitted to Columbia, Berkeley, Vanderbilt, Rutgers, and Wisconsin. Still waiting on Michigan and Harvard. Looks like I didn't make the cut for Chicago and NYU. The only reason I applied to so many places was that I was warned that my chances were slim anywhere and everywhere.

This is obviously surprising, but I can only choose one, so those on wait lists have a chance to grab my spots.