Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

I'm frustrated because I'm a U.S. historian who focuses on religious history within the United States. I have a B.A. and am finishing my M.A. in religious studies; however, I've decided to apply to History Departments to better explore the history of immigration and education, in order to better understand American religion at the turn of the century. Not to mention I ultimately want to teach broader U.S. history. But as soon as programs find out my research interests have something to do with religion, they immediately try to shift me over to a religion department -- and I would've just internally petitioned to stay in my current program, if it were that easy. I've been declined from three places, and all three places said that I should apply to their religion department. It's been maddening.

If you don't get in this year, try Boston College next year. Not only do we have a huge contingent of religious history faculty and grad students, but immigration as well.

Also, this is a weird response to get. Tons of people do religion at Harvard, as well, and are all in the history department.

Edited by levoyous

That UMD email was a killer. I got so excited.

I also have seen an acceptance and a rejection via website for UConn on the results page but I haven't heard anything...I have no idea what this means but I'm getting anxious.

Did other UNC applicants get an email re decision being available on the website? I got my decision last week but got an email today re it being available on the system.

No email, no change in application status on website, but it seems that UNC has a tendency to wait until mid to late March to break bad news to folks.

No email, no change in application status on website, but it seems that UNC has a tendency to wait until mid to late March to break bad news to folks.

Damn! Was hoping that meant all the results were out.

They take in around 20 grad students approx/year though right? Don't see that many admits on the results page yet. Reckon you have a great chance still. 

My mind is about to EXPLODE. I just got an email saying that I was accidentally rejected for the museum studies for GWU when I've actually been accepted!! I have to lie down or throw up now......

What does accidentally rejected mean though? A clerical error on their part but you are actually admitted? 

My mind is about to EXPLODE. I just got an email saying that I was accidentally rejected for the museum studies for GWU when I've actually been accepted!! I have to lie down or throw up now......

So... Does that mean you are in??

Yup! I got an email saying that they pushed the wrong button and I've actually been accepted into the program. I've heard about this happening but always thought it was something that only happens in tv shows or movies.

Gambaosaka, given the pretty small numbers that have posted UNC Chapel Hill acceptances on thegradcafe.com in the past (2-3 per year) I am thinking that their outright offers of admission have already gone out.  If I don't hear anything next week, I'm definitely chalking UNC in the rejection pile.  I don't know how their waitlist works though.  

Edited by JJWS

If you don't get in this year, try Boston College next year. Not only do we have a huge contingent of religious history faculty and grad students, but immigration as well.

Also, this is a weird response to get. Tons of people do religion at Harvard, as well, and are all in the history department.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Boston College is actually one of my top choices, and I'm anxiously awaiting their decision.

Congratulations! Beats the CMU mass mistake that was the other way around!

Wow! How dramatic. Now you have a fun story to tell people lol Congratz KBHistorian!

Gambaosaka, given the pretty small numbers that have posted UNC Chapel Hill acceptances on thegradcafe.com in the past (2-3 per year) I am thinking that their outright offers of admission have already gone out.  If I don't hear anything next week, I'm definitely chalking UNC in the rejection pile.  I don't know how their waitlist works though.