Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Hi all,

This is my first time writing on this insightful thread which has provided me with a wealth of information in regard to the inner workings/"machinations" (which perhaps might be too strong of a word) of graduate schools.

I have applied to Brown, UPenn, U. Chicago, USC (University of Southern California), UT Austin, Vanderbilt, Cornell, Columbia, Stanford, the College of William and Mary, UConn, and Claremont Graduate University (M.A. Program). I was accepted to CGU. With the exception of CGU, I have only applied to PhD programs.

I was just wondering if anyone might know whether or not Brown has selected all of its promising candidates?

It's my first choice and the suspenseful waiting is slowly draining me of the final vestiges of my sanity ):

I understand what you're saying, Aubstopper. I'm not sure I've ever felt this vulnerable in my life, and I suppose I got hit hard with a case of imposter syndrome about a week ago, reaching its apex after receiving the Duke rejection. I find myself second guessing every decision I made during the application process, but I think it's starting to subside. As you suggested, I've started to realize how many other people have yet to hear from programs and that all it takes is one school to send an acceptance. We'll see what happens. Sorry about Princeton.

Hi all,

This is my first time writing on this insightful thread which has provided me with a wealth of information in regard to the inner workings/"machinations" (which perhaps might be too strong of a word) of graduate schools.

I have applied to Brown, UPenn, U. Chicago, USC (University of Southern California), UT Austin, Vanderbilt, Cornell, Columbia, Stanford, the College of William and Mary, UConn, and Claremont Graduate University (M.A. Program). I was accepted to CGU. With the exception of CGU, I have only applied to PhD programs.

I was just wondering if anyone might know whether or not Brown has selected all of its promising candidates?

It's my first choice and the suspenseful waiting is slowly draining me of the final vestiges of my sanity ):

Edited by mvlchicago

It's really difficult to not resign yourself to being a complete failure (which is something I do more often than not). I think it's because all of us on here are crazy overachievers who are used to people telling us that we're smart and special--our education becomes a strong part of our identity. It's like being part of an elite club and to be shut out of that elite club is a direct attack on the ego. I personally am more okay with someone telling me that I'm unattractive than saying I'm unintelligent, and a rejection feels exactly like the latter sometimes.   

You still got 7 shots. Remember, it only takes one :)

From what I've received, it sounds like Brown has made all their offers of admission? They've sent us info for the varying visitation days and plans are being made, so I doubt there's still in the wings, unless via waitlist :( . Sorry friend.

Remember academia =/= intelligentsia. Marx had to re-submit his dissertation at an institution that would accept his ideas as valid. These universities, ultimately, are reflections of political and economic obligations, no matter how hard we try to "rise above" the influence of society. 

Hey everyone, I was one of the Ohio rejections but I'm strangely ok with it. I realize that if I don't get in this cycle that means I'm not ready. I would rather not attend next year so that I can boost my skills, than to attend and strike out. I know this doesn't help anyone else still waiting but it means that if you haven't been rejected yet you're still in the running!

Just got my formal tOSU acceptance letter from the graduate chair, with details about visiting weekend. Funding info to follow. Website still shows application as "pending".

Edited by telkanuru

Bummer about NCSU funding. Sadly I didn't get a TAship so now I'm waiting on GWU.

But congrats on the Texas Tech acceptance and the funding!! I hope they were one of your top picks!

Thanks! Tech and NCSU were my only realistic possibilities, and in terms of program quality NCSU edges out Tech because their program is more established for the study of ancient history.  If I go to Tech, I'd basically have to build my own program from scratch because they don't typically accept students for ancient history.  Still, that's not such a bad thing...this time last August I didn't think I'd have a chance in hell of studying ancient history on the graduate level due to my lack of languages, but now I've been accepted to two programs in that field!

Anyway, I'll hold out for the possibility of being offered a TAship at NCSU....if it doesn't work out, Tech is still a solid option.  It sucks you didn't get anything from NCSU, though. :( I hope GWU turns up something better for you!

Thanks! Tech and NCSU were my only realistic possibilities, and in terms of program quality NCSU edges out Tech because their program is more established for the study of ancient history. If I go to Tech, I'd basically have to build my own program from scratch because they don't typically accept students for ancient history. Still, that's not such a bad thing...this time last August I didn't think I'd have a chance in hell of studying ancient history on the graduate level due to my lack of languages, but now I've been accepted to two programs in that field!

Anyway, I'll hold out for the possibility of being offered a TAship at NCSU....if it doesn't work out, Tech is still a solid option. It sucks you didn't get anything from NCSU, though. :( I hope GWU turns up something better for you!

Well I'm glad you've been accepted into both! Now the hard part is trying to decide. When do you plan on making your official/final decision?

Yeah it does, but worst comes to worst if I got to NCSU I can probably get a part time job. Possibly even at one of the museums or historic sites. And yes, I hope GWU offers me something.

Keep me posted :)

WAITLISTED TO UCONN!!!!!!!!!!

this is the first slightly positive news I've heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how did they notify you?? I'm also applying to UConn, ct is my home state, and I'm patiently waiting

Congratulations! I'm hoping we both become future Husky, PhDs!

how did they notify you?? I'm also applying to UConn, ct is my home state, and I'm patiently waiting

Congratulations! I'm hoping we both become future Husky, PhDs!

I received an email from Charles Lansing. I'm a Nutmugger as well!

(Just realized you responded again)

I'm 19th cent. US/Atlantic World. 

Edited by rmw

I was just accepted into the MAPSS program at Chicago with a half tuition scholarship! Beyond thrilled. Does anyone have any insight into the program? I would love to learn more about it