Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

At least you guys have been accepted somewhere, while I imagine it doesn't end you time in purgatory, knowing you've been admitted somewhere at least affords you a modicum of peace, since you know you'll be pursuing a PhD somewhere.

Thanks Heimat, that's what I keep telling myself. I'm starting to lose a bit of hope. UNC was always a stretch for me, and Emory it seems has already announced acceptances. But there is always hope!  I appreciate the kind words and support. This is such a great group.

I'm frustrated because I'm a U.S. historian who focuses on religious history within the United States. I have a B.A. and am finishing my M.A. in religious studies; however, I've decided to apply to History Departments to better explore the history of immigration and education, in order to better understand American religion at the turn of the century. Not to mention I ultimately want to teach broader U.S. history. But as soon as programs find out my research interests have something to do with religion, they immediately try to shift me over to a religion department -- and I would've just internally petitioned to stay in my current program, if it were that easy. I've been declined from three places, and all three places said that I should apply to their religion department. It's been maddening.

At least you guys have been accepted somewhere, while I imagine it doesn't end you time in purgatory, knowing you've been admitted somewhere at least affords you a modicum of peace, since you know you'll be pursuing a PhD somewhere.

I'm with you, bro. I haven't heard anything from anywhere. I was sitting through a work conference call today just checking this page and refreshing my emails. I definitely underestimated the importance of this entire process to me and how much it would change my life to just get one yes from somewhere. I'm a little upset at myself for not applying to more than 5 places--though at the time, I thought it was enough. sdlfkgjsdklf;gjsdfklgjdf

On a completely different note, I see we have the same birthday (the best birthday, if I say so myself)!

Edited by Aubstopper

I am not too devastated as I had time to prepare myself since those acceptances went up a few days ago, but it stings anyway, especially since the POI had such interest in my research. The POI at Harvard did too, but I'm not holding my breath for that one either.  I'm pretty sure I'm done getting acceptances, and I'm very lucky I have actually gotten some, I as prepared to get rejections across the board.

Aubstopper, that's awesome! Always nice to meet a birthday buddy. But I totally understand your position, I also underestimated the importance of all of this and the likelihood of rejection. I went into this process overly confident, and now I'm probably over compensating for that confidence with fear of not being admitted anywhere. I also would have applied to more places and contacted more POI directly, while I made some direct contacts I didn't make enough and underestimated the importance of that contact. Oh well, c'est la vie. I still have hope I'll make it in somewhere, but am also coming to terms with the prospect of not. If I don't, there's always next cycle. 

I'm frustrated because I'm a U.S. historian who focuses on religious history within the United States. I have a B.A. and am finishing my M.A. in religious studies; however, I've decided to apply to History Departments to better explore the history of immigration and education, in order to better understand American religion at the turn of the century. Not to mention I ultimately want to teach broader U.S. history. But as soon as programs find out my research interests have something to do with religion, they immediately try to shift me over to a religion department -- and I would've just internally petitioned to stay in my current program, if it were that easy. I've been declined from three places, and all three places said that I should apply to their religion department. It's been maddening.

jpb,

Where did you apply?  I am also a US historian with a focus on American religious history.  I am finishing up my MTS, and applied to all history PhD's (except for one University, where I applied to both religion and history).  Many, but not most of the places I applied to, also have a religion department, but I haven't had anyone try to send me towards their religion department. 

I'm not sure what my advice is worth since I've not gotten any acceptances, and I have a feeling I won't be getting any, but, is there anything in your SOP that could come across as churchy?  In my SOP, I discuss how I am interested in the intersection of religion, social history, social control, etc... I attempted to make sure that adcomms knew I was very much interested in studying history, not religion, even though I did highlight some of my theological research in my SOP, just to show that I had worked with a well known scholar and been encouraged to publish my work.  Don't know if that is helpful ​at all, but FWIW.

Congrats to all the recent admits (haven't posted much/lately) !

Finally got my first rejection - not too surprised (From Brown) - it was the application I knew was a way far reach. Expecting a few more since I have seen a few acceptances.

However, on a good note I just booked a trip to DC to work on research at Smithsonian and have been in contact with the curator who's actually created the collection I will be working on who offered to work with me while I am there! Super excited for the opportunity to work one on one with a curator at the Smithsonian (especially since I am very interested in working in public history in the future)

Hopefully we all hear some good news soon :)

@Josh and JPB (quotes haven't worked for me today)

This applies to anyone really...but it is always best to contact potential supervisors before you apply. If you find a supervisor who is able and willing to supervise your project on religious history I doubt the department would object.

This applies to anyone really...but it is always best to contact potential supervisors before you apply. If you find a supervisor who is able and willing to supervise your project on religious history I doubt the department would object.

I actually made contact w/ all of my potential supervisors. In relation to two of my three rejections, both said they were unable to convince their committees to take me due to concerns about my interests in religious history. Of course, they could just be saying that, but that's what I've been told. Neither of those POI have explicit expertise in religious history, but have research interests in my broader thematic interests. It is what it is, though, and I've already been thinking how I need to emphasize my work and interests in broader U.S. History, rather than just my projects in American religious history. It has just been frustrating and needed an outlet to vent.

That doesn't work well when your advisor, who is the DGS, advises you not to contact POIs when you apply. I've got another thread on this from earlier this cycle.

Anyone else get that nail-biter of an email from UMaryland? Ugh haha

Yes, they picked a terrible subject line. On the first read I missed the plural on "decisions" and got excited....

Update on Cornell: I heard that, as of Monday, final decisions still hadn't been made yet. Sorry to all for the waits.

This combined with Maryland's e-mail...killing me. These are my top two choices.