Decision Thread 2014

daykid

It's official! I accepted at UNLV, and declined at WSU. I let all my POIs know, and my WSU POI was really happy for me and my choice to attend UNLV, and totally understood that it was the best decision for my family. Since I've made this decision I have been very, very much looking forward to moving to a new city (I was dreading moving to Pullman), and have been really happy overall :) 

Good Luck to those still deciding! 

P.S. Is it weird that I haven't heard from Oregon State? I should email them and let them know I've accepted elsewhere. 

You're going to Memorial, right Canis?

Yes - that's the plan. My partner and I were both accepted there. Now it's just a matter of the study permits, finding housing, and driving to the ends of the earth come august. :)

Congrats, CulturalAnth!

And I love how you chose Memorial, Canis. I have a good friend who did his Master's there - he absolutely loved it. Atlantic Canada is unique; the Rock (Newfoundland) is quite the place. The people there are incredibly welcoming, but it is isolated. I hope you and your SO enjoy yourselves!

In other news, I decided on U of T for a number of complicated reasons. I won't be moving anywhere in the fall, but I will be making a huge personal change since I've been working in the private sector for the last five years.

Sarab, did you decide?

Haha no pressure. Just rooting for you.

I haven't decided, but I'm thinking that my well-being and mental health (among many other things like fit and my husband and other stuff) would be better at one university more than the other.

OK, San Diego it is! Michigan is a great department, but when it was time to decide I really needed to take into account not only research fit, but also adviser relationship fit and just my overall well-being and comfort level in the department. Plus, my husband will have more opportunities there, and I really needed to think of him as well.

Good luck to everyone!

OK, San Diego it is! Michigan is a great department, but when it was time to decide I really needed to take into account not only research fit, but also adviser relationship fit and just my overall well-being and comfort level in the department. Plus, my husband will have more opportunities there, and I really needed to think of him as well.

Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations, sarab!!! San Diego is a fabulous city - your quality of life can never be that bad when you are so close to the beach! You'll be the envy of everybody on GradCafe in the dead of winter  ;)

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats Sarab!  San Diego is such an amazing city as well! 

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats on making a decision! Are you going to have a mini-celebration now that all of the (application-related) stress is over??

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats!!! I love San Diego! I wish there was a fit for me there! 

So after a lot of back-and-forths, weighing of pros and cons, and some soul searching to figure out what is really important to me in my graduate education, I've decided and I'll be attending Brown in the fall. I am so excited about my advisers and the unique opportunities I've discussed with them to really shape my degree how I want it.

Congrats to everyone who has decided and to those who haven't, good luck. It's almost over!

Congratulations DayKid...it seems you spent some time making your final decision and are happy/excited for your new chapter to begin. Best of luck at Brown!!!!! :D