turned down offers thread

Hi all, I was wondering if we could start a thread where we let each other know when we decline offers.  This way, those in wait list limbo get a little bit of hope! Congrats to all who have received offers!!!!

Edited by crazyhappy

Cheers, to all of my comrades in wait list hell! Currently I'm wait listed at UConn (my top choice-- really strong POI). I'm not thrilled about the location of Storrs, but "fit" trumps location for me.

If you have any questions about location for UConn, feel free to PM me. Born and raised in CT- I actually don't mind the location at all (I got accepted and right now they are my top choice). Unless you also are from CT and still don't like it!

Thanks shortstack. By "not thrilled," I mean it's not NYC, where I'm from! =D I wish Storrs was more urban, but I guess I was trying to convey how much of a good fit it is that it's still my first choice despite the suburban quality!

I appreciate your offer to enlighten me on CT, and might be taking you up on that soon! :) If I end up getting in off of the wait list (and you accept UConn's offer), we will be in the same cohort! Any ideas about what size cohort they are looking for? Have you visited yet? You can write back here or PM-- either mode of communication works for me!

I definitely approve of this. I got waitlisted at UCSB, and am stuck in this purgatory. It's almost cruel, right?

Me fail English?,

I have good news for you.

I'm an early moderner and I just declined my offer at UCSB. It was an incredibly tough decision (PERFECT fit, beautiful city, excellent funding package, etc.) but personal circumstances have made it nearly impossible for me to go there. 

I hope this gets you out of purgatory! Good luck! And if when you get in I'll be insanely jealous!

Me fail English?,

I have good news for you.

I'm an early moderner and I just declined my offer at UCSB. It was an incredibly tough decision (PERFECT fit, beautiful city, excellent funding package, etc.) but personal circumstances have made it nearly impossible for me to go there. 

I hope this gets you out of purgatory! Good luck! And if when you get in I'll be insanely jealous!

Amazing. I will definitely keep you posted, so to speak, on what happens. Thanks for the update. Curious: Where did you decide to go? 

Amazing. I will definitely keep you posted, so to speak, on what happens. Thanks for the update. Curious: Where did you decide to go?

Yes! Let me know how it goes!

I'm deciding between UC Irvine and UC Riverside. I'm leaning (heavily) toward Irvine right now, but the kind people over at Riverside have been making a solid case for considering them. We'll see how the visits go.

I'm wait listed at UC Davis, top choice :D Great fit for me, strong POI :D

Someone release me from this stress... 

Sadly, their open house isn't until 3/31, so their waitlisted folks might have a while to wait. :-/

I just wanted to reiterate and refresh "crazyhappy's" original goal in starting this thread: tell us the offers you've turned down so us wait listers can cling to some scraps of hope.... Surely some decisions have been made, even if people aren't fully settled on a final choice, right? Best of luck to all making difficult decisions (and to all hoping that they too will be in a position to have to make difficult decisions...). 

I'm deciding between U Oregon and U Florida, because as far as I know U Washington is not offering me funding. So I'll be declining there and perhaps at UF, although Pamela Gilbert's presence at UF is making it very, very hard for me to decide for sure.

Since wait lists seem to function at least partially (if not solely) in regards to specialization or sub-field within English, maybe people could include their area of interest (if they're comfortable sharing) when letting others know of the offers they decline.

Just turned down an unfunded offer from U Washington. Will know soon whether I'm choosing U Florida or U Oregon. 

That was very kind of you to do this early! I’m still hoping for an acceptance from U Washington, so I really appreciate it!