Fat-Friendly Campuses?

dania201

Varangian, I loved your post.

All the Americans lose weight after being in Europe and all the Europeans gain weight when they come to America.

In my experience, this has been true. It might be because I am on mealplan, whereas at home I subsist mainly on home cooking, but dude, the corn syrup/sugar situation in America is ridiculous. I have SUCH a hard time finding full-fat yogurt! For some reason, Americans apparently only eat low-fat yogurt that has 18 g. of sugar per serving - I mean, you might as well eat a candy bar. At Wholefoods, there are literally 5 brands of full-fat yogurt I can find, and this is a hipstery area. Like, how is Paleo so popular in the US, if literally nothing one can buy anywhere that sells food is unprocessed? I guess part of the equation is that the EU subsidizes the production of milk and olives, whereas the US subsidizes corn. I'd like to look into this in more detail, actually.

...making the blanket statement that is is the only thing needed, or they are obese ONLY because they've let go of factors that can be managed is an ill informed mindset. 

Uhh, I agree? I think it's really incredible that in spite of making it abundantly clear, especially in the post that you quoted (!), that there are exceptions, we're still getting hung up on this. No one is speaking in absolutes that "this is the ONLY reason for obesity," except for you saying that's what I'm doing. That's not what I said, nor was it ever what I said. You're disagreeing with a point that was never made.

I didn't make a "blanket dismissal of the causes of obesity assuming that all factors in obesity are factors that can be managed." That never happened. I said most of the time this is the case, and by your own admission you agree with me! It is much easier to poke holes after you contort the argument than actually let it challenge your opinion though. To each their own I suppose.

Fat people are not cancer.

Who said that? Judging by you last couple of posts, you're just content with making purposely inflammatory and ridiculous statements now. That's you're prerogative.

Edited by Geologizer

I'm pretty sure I haven't dissuaded y'all from being assholes, but I hope I have at least elucidated my position.

You're probably right. Your definition of asshole seems a bit different. Mine, for example, includes people who go straight to insults and profanity while championing Goodness.

I'm glad you're going to graduate school in Rhetoric and Composition this fall, where they will be able to teach you this astonishing bit of analysis. 

Are you really glad? How glad are you? You seem sort of cranky, actually. Must be all that Goodness!

Where to start? That type of condescension is only going to get you so far in America...

Isn't this concern-trolling my online personality?

Anyway, the Two Champions of Goodness have won this thread, as far as I'm concerned. I will definitely examine my assumptions about obesity while I am in the States, and make an effort to understand more about the causes -- which are much more complex than I had actually realized. I should point out that I've never in my life said an unkind word to a fat person or even made jokes about them, and I don't make sad-sympathetic faces when I see them... so I think all your accusations about concern-trolling may be coming from something inside yourselves?

I also reserve the right to say that the two of you (ED and V) have behaved like annoying preachers over the last couple of pages. So you made your point, but god were you prigs about it! Perhaps ostentatious self-righteousness is like a form of moral obesity? Many causes, etc?

Who said that? Judging by you last couple of posts, you're just content with making purposely inflammatory and ridiculous statements now. That's you're prerogative.

Do you not see how your improper metaphors could be grounds for inflammatory and ridiculous statements? If you don't want me to say that fat people are not cancer, do not compare fat to cancer. It's that easy.

Anyway, the Two Champions of Goodness have won this thread, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. They seriously made mince meat out of your straw-man arguments.

I will definitely examine my assumptions about obesity while I am in the States, and make an effort to understand more about the causes -- which are much more complex than I had actually realized.

That's definitely true. They are more complex than you previously realized. I'm glad you've come around.

I should point out that I've never in my life said an unkind word to a fat person or even made jokes about them, and I don't make sad-sympathetic faces when I see them... so I think all your accusations about concern-trolling may be coming from something inside yourselves?

*slow clap*

I also reserve the right to say that the two of you (ED and V) have behaved like annoying preachers over the last couple of pages.

It's because of our main literary export, the American jeremiad. America turns out capitalists, gun-owners, fat people, and sermonizers. Learn it, love it. Welcome to the errand into the wilderness.

You're probably right. Your definition of asshole seems a bit different. Mine, for example, includes people who go straight to insults and profanity while championing Goodness.

Are you really glad? How glad are you? You seem sort of cranky, actually. Must be all that Goodness!

Isn't this concern-trolling my online personality?

Anyway, the Two Champions of Goodness have won this thread, as far as I'm concerned. I will definitely examine my assumptions about obesity while I am in the States, and make an effort to understand more about the causes -- which are much more complex than I had actually realized. I should point out that I've never in my life said an unkind word to a fat person or even made jokes about them, and I don't make sad-sympathetic faces when I see them... so I think all your accusations about concern-trolling may be coming from something inside yourselves?

I also reserve the right to say that the two of you (ED and V) have behaved like annoying preachers over the last couple of pages. So you made your point, but god were you prigs about it! Perhaps ostentatious self-righteousness is like a form of moral obesity? Many causes, etc?

Your ability to patronize is really limitless, isn't it? I've made a total of two posts in this thread. This will be the third. A number far fewer than your own. But I do like how you proclaim my "preachiness" as a way to de-emphasize the validity of my argument. Whereas your contributions are full of such wisdom. 

You've never said an unkind word to a fat person? Why, congratulations. Did you want a medal? You also don't seem to understand what concern trolling means. 

It's because of our main literary export, the American jeremiad. America turns out capitalists, gun-owners, fat people, and sermonizers. Learn it, love it. Welcome to the errand into the wilderness.

tumblr_mavndbtTrP1rgzwhho1_500.gif

This thread started out so good....

giphy.gif

I will say that UC Berkeley has a lot of slopes/hills, but they have a golf cart that will take disabled people around campus. They have a bus that does a loop around campus. They have a fairly active disability services center. I know from pushing a stroller around you have to really learn the campus regarding elevators and ramps vs. steps but once you get a routine down you can manage okay. Hope that helps.

Edited by justastudent

tl;dr? Well, here's a summary of the last 6 pages.

The OP (cat) solicted advice and then received unsolicited diatribe (wrapping paper).

tumblr_mycawyn30D1sk5euoo1_250.gif

They didn't forget the tail, and there's the bow on top! You're welcome OP. Thanks for stopping by the Grad Cafe.

P.s. there are cookies on the way out. 

Edited by DigDeep

So I admit I haven't read the entire thread but want to share my thoughts to OP:

you're in grad school to learn; who cares what other people think. Wrt your image, "those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

If you're converned about your health, you could always take a beginners yoga class, or join a health initiatives campus club. Start small and reward yourself

• 2 years later...

Texas Women's University is really good for us bigger girls I would say. It's coed even though it has 'Womens' in the name. Most of the staff and professors are bigger, so they get it. The campus is pretty tight layout so you don't have to walk TOO much, and there are plenty of good spots to nom within driving distance. Not sure if you're big enough to need a scooter, but its pretty accommodating if you need it.

Hope that helps!!!

On 8/8/2016 at 0:19 PM, JQR said:

Texas Women's University is really good for us bigger girls I would say. It's coed even though it has 'Womens' in the name. Most of the staff and professors are bigger, so they get it. The campus is pretty tight layout so you don't have to walk TOO much, and there are plenty of good spots to nom within driving distance. Not sure if you're big enough to need a scooter, but its pretty accommodating if you need it.

Hope that helps!!!

Well, it's been 2 years since this thread was last posted in, and you resurrected it from the dead, but maybe your info will help someone new!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2016 at 4:36 PM, Puffer Fish said:

Well, it's been 2 years since this thread was last posted in, and you resurrected it from the dead, but maybe your info will help someone new!

Thanks, I hope so too! Some places can really suck if you're fat--so its nice to know which spots are you can easily get around and to be yourself.

• 6 months later...

I came here because I have an offer from FIU, and honestly as a fat woman I'm a little worried about that. 

Great to know this is not a space where I can talk about those worries.

ALSO, WHERE TF WERE THE MODS ON THIS THREAD?