NOT EVEN ONE ACCEPTANCE YET? LETS VENT HERE!!

There isn't much funding for professional degrees so most of us end up paying for at least part of our degree.

Totally agree!

This is sooooooo true and at Hunter they pay 100% of it not just part of it. That is unless at the CUNY Graduate Center, they're funded.

Can't you recognize a purposeful misspelling when it's right in front of you? I guess not. It's really not necessary to be a grammar hound simply because you disagree with me. You're entitled to your own opinion. Did you go to Hunter?

Being that I do go to Hunter I'm entitled to speak truthfully about my experience, the good bad and the ugly aaaaaaaaaaalllll the ugly. Its good for undergrads as it is very much structured as a community college.

There are research institutions and there are teaching institutions. Bottom line Hunter is not a "known" as a research institution and funding is not something it has or is known for.

That's just the way it is.

I don't go to Hunter; I do know several people who went to Hunter for graduate school in Speech-Language Pathology. Everyone I know at Hunter has raved about it. I just wanted to share an alternate view of the CUNYs. Funding for SLP masters is quite rare and the CUNYs are a BARGAIN in comparison to every other  school. I cannot speak to research opportunities, but since many of us are going into SLP in order to practice clinically, I have heard from several alums of multiple CUNYs who feel that they were very well prepared to  practice in the field, and perhaps even better prepared than at some of the bigger name universities.

Congrats :) I got an email today saying the second tier of wait listed people a Loyola were picked...aka not me. This is crazy guys. I may really not be going to graduate school this fall.

Congrats :) I got an email today saying the second tier of wait listed people a Loyola were picked...aka not me. This is crazy guys. I may really not be going to graduate school this fall.

Thank you! I hope you get in somewhere this fall! I know you can get in somewhere, because you GRE scores are a little higher than mine! I know that some school also have Spring admissions as well! 

I'm sorry to hear the luck you've been having. I think it's very odd that you haven't had success. One of my professors told us about a previous student who had a great GPA and GRE, extracurriculars and everything else, and did not get into a single one of her many schools. She called each school and finally someone told her that there was a line in her personal statement that didn't come off well. Have you considered that there is something somewhere in your application that is not coming off how you intended? Maybe you should have a few people look it over. 

Either way, I hope you get off of a wait list!! And if even if you don't, don't despair! I'm going back to school at 26 and find that having real work experience is helpful. 

I had someone read my personal statement many times...I should have probably made her cookies with how much she went through it. Pittsburgh is full, Grand Valley State hasn't said anything-but I feel like nobody has heard from them when I look at the results board, so maybe it's not just me?

I had someone read my personal statement many times...I should have probably made her cookies with how much she went through it. Pittsburgh is full, Grand Valley State hasn't said anything-but I feel like nobody has heard from them when I look at the results board, so maybe it's not just me?

Some programs are just not diligent about getting back to each student, especially in more competitive programs with higher volume of applications. Often if you call or email the program coordinator, just be direct. "Im calling about the status of my application"  ..................................., ................! "As I'm sure the applicaiton pool was rather competitive, would you mind telling me what some of the shortcomings in my application may have been?"

Often times the faculty who are the coordinators are the program coordinator for a reason, such as their ability to be more helpful, personable, and more objective than some other faculty members who just don't have the people skills for it and willing to answer your questions.

I got my rejections early, and when I didn't here, I called. I found out what needs improvement (professional research experience and needing publications).

So I quickly (last month) jump on those tasks and am now accepted to a field site in South Africa for 10 months (volunteer) to develop my skill set more extensively and present at conferences over the summer. I've already looked into additional funding and portable funding fellowships.  I will master this process and write a very calculated personal statement for each (woo hoo great summer fun), and present my current research at conferences. (Apparently poster presentations are valued quite compensatory for the shortcoming of no publications).

@mheroux92  I am also on the wait list at GVSU and have not heard anything since the initial wait list email notification. (I did not do my undergrad there either, if it makes a difference)

I'm glad I'm not the only one!!!! I think a reason I was denied from some schools is I've heard they're notorious for picking their undergrads/people from their state. And I didn't apply in-state since we only have one school in my state (Maine)

I still haven't heard anything either. I will hold out for 1-2 more weeks with the hope that I will be pulled from a wait list. However, I am starting to make plans to apply for spring admission and retake the GRE.

Radford called me today and offered me a spot, even though they already denied me. I think radford has a better program compared to the school I was planning on going to...will have to ponder this while I zone out during commencement tomorrow! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there are any courses offered for 7 weeks later in the summer? I need an intro to aud and speech and hearing science class. I got a wait list notification really late (today) from a school that I was under the impression of being rejected from and need two more courses that I didn't expect. I'm not sure I want to get my hopes up, but I would like to be prepared just in case. It's my top choice school so I'm kinda freaking out that they didn't let me know sooner so that I could prepare accordingly... but such is the SLP grad school app process I suppose! 

Nevermind everyone... I thought I would try to cram them in but I'd rather not since it's going to be hard to find any and it's just a wait list. We'll see what happens! :) Happy forum-ing! :) 

• 1 year later...