NOT EVEN ONE ACCEPTANCE YET? LETS VENT HERE!!

Hi all, I'm new to gradcafe, but this thread is PERFECT for me. I've only heard from two schools, and no acceptance yet :(... praying for some good news from the next few schools!

Second Rejection - UNC - Greensboro. Isn't it a bummer getting rejection and knowing you won't get all the money back you spent applying there. Stings even worse when they don't even send you an e-mail, just update your portal. Just so sad :( Great school, I was wait-listed there last year, and denied this year. Good luck to all those applying there and everywhere else! It will work out.

Edited by Lwill

Love this thread idea! I haven't heard from any of my schools yet. This waiting game is really getting to me! I'm hoping to hear soon but having no responses is making me extremely nervous!  :unsure:

I just can't begin to say how ready this thread gives me some sort of peace. It's a constant reminder that I am NOT THE ONLY ONE with these feelings of inadequacy and anxiety. I know all of you are thinking what I am thinking: "what's the next step?"  Is it too early to begin a thread with that title? I am really curious as to what people plan to do to make themselves competitive for next year's application process, if it comes to that. I just thought I would work as an SLPA (NC allows assistants as some states do not), but from what I understand, it's not that easy! Those jobs are few and far between. Some SLPs I have spoken to weren't even aware that job role existed. Not a good sign. :(  I've also considered applying to a one year grad program in early childhood, as I am interested in early intervention...but that's a lot more $$!

@smrv I'm considering applying to NOVA for Audiology because I'm getting impatient and worried about not receiving an acceptance yet...I had a great interview at Bloomsburg yesterday though so I just don't know.

I just can't begin to say how ready this thread gives me some sort of peace. It's a constant reminder that I am NOT THE ONLY ONE with these feelings of inadequacy and anxiety. I know all of you are thinking what I am thinking: "what's the next step?"  Is it too early to begin a thread with that title? I am really curious as to what people plan to do to make themselves competitive for next year's application process, if it comes to that. I just thought I would work as an SLPA (NC allows assistants as some states do not), but from what I understand, it's not that easy! Those jobs are few and far between. Some SLPs I have spoken to weren't even aware that job role existed. Not a good sign. :(  I've also considered applying to a one year grad program in early childhood, as I am interested in early intervention...but that's a lot more $$!

My "next step" plan was to try to work as an SLPA as well, but I would have to move to a state that hires them. The problem is that it's difficult to get the SLPA job if you don't already live in the state! 

I really don't know what I will do if I don't get in anywhere :( 

I agree, it's hard to know what to do next if you don't get in anywhere. I've thought about SLPA too, but you're right - jobs are few and far inbetween. I've thought about going back for a post-bacc in Spanish, or early childhood, special education, etc or maybe doing mission work that specializes with SLP's and Comm. Disorders somewhere out of the country, or even just in a different state. 

I got another wait-list today. After tears yesterday, I was excited to be wait-listed! I guess it's true that if you're having a horrible day, the next one can only get better - or at least my perspective has improved! :)

I know SLPA positions are hard to find, but it's definitely possible to get a position. After graduating last spring, I took a year off to strengthen my resume before applying to graduate school (trying to make up for my fairly-low GPA). I looked for SLPA jobs everywhere in the state, and I could only find three. THREE! (so frustrating) I felt the same kind of uncertainty you're probably feeling now about finding a position, but I ended up being interviewed for all three, and was offered each position. I actually was able to choose which one I wanted! I'm hoping that the experience will help me to get into grad school... but so far it doesn't look so great. :unsure: Hope this helps...

I got another wait-list today. After tears yesterday, I was excited to be wait-listed! I guess it's true that if you're having a horrible day, the next one can only get better - or at least my perspective has improved! :)

Congrats! :)

I'm a new member to gradcafe but I've been lurking for a while now.  This is my second year applying to schools.  Last year I applied to two and was waitlisted at one and rejected at the other.  This year I applied to four and have been rejected by two and haven't heard from the others, one of which I KNOW is notifying.  I'm so frustrated.  I can't afford to NOT work and my student loans from my undergrad program have now become due. Do I apply again? What's going to make me competitive enough to get in next year?  Nothing will have changed.

Officially wait listed at three schools, two of which were in my group of top choices. This is my personal circle of hell.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out.

jdchrys, I understand your frustration. This is my second year applying also...but both years it's only been to Arizona State (I live in Phoenix and am not in a position to move right now).

Can you give your stats? GRE, GPA, undergrad major, extracurriculars, etc?

Officially wait listed at three schools, two of which were in my group of top choices. This is my personal circle of hell.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out.

You still have 8 schools to hear from and you were waitlisted at your top choices! That's great. You're bound to get an acceptance from at least one of those remaining 8 schools (if you don't get pulled from the waitlist). I know how frustrating it is and being on the waitlist is truly it's own hell but hang in there...your stats are good and there's no reason you won't get into at least one. :)

I'm a new member to gradcafe but I've been lurking for a while now.  This is my second year applying to schools.  Last year I applied to two and was waitlisted at one and rejected at the other.  This year I applied to four and have been rejected by two and haven't heard from the others, one of which I KNOW is notifying.  I'm so frustrated.  I can't afford to NOT work and my student loans from my undergrad program have now become due. Do I apply again? What's going to make me competitive enough to get in next year?  Nothing will have changed.

What did you change between this year and last?

Is it a bad sign that people are getting wait listed at schools you've applied to and you haven't heard back yet? 

this "no news is good news" isn't working for me anymore  :unsure:

Is it a bad sign that people are getting wait listed at schools you've applied to and you haven't heard back yet? 

this "no news is good news" isn't working for me anymore  :unsure:

The same thing has happened to me! I just keep telling myself that as long as I'm not rejected yet its ok but it gets harder to keep that in mind when people keep hearing back from that school!

Hi I have been keeping up with everyone's struggles to get in somewhere and finally decided to post myself. I applied last year to 3 schools, got wait listed at one and rejected from the other 2. This year I have 2 wait lists, 1 rejection, and am still waiting on 2 schools. It's a very stressful process!! I really tried to strengthen my application this time around and it doesn't seem to be helping. Good luck to everyone out there!!!

Applying to: UNC Chapel Hill, SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Fredonia, Ohio State, Buff State

Hey everyone! I realize that this might not be the "best" place to be posting since I am currently doing my Master's in SLP now, and I realize that this is a place for you all to vent (and don't get me wrong I know that it is VERY needed at times like these) but I just thought that I would share my history of applying for SLP with you all to maybe give at least someone some inspiration. 

I'm from Canada, and as I'm sure many of you know, there are A LOT less program options here than there are in the States. So naturally the first time I applied, I applied to 6/10 the Canadian programs (2 of them I didn't have the right pre-requisites for, one of them I didn't apply to because even though my French is good, I didn't understand their website haha and with the stress from all the other schools, I couldn't be bothered to figure it out, and the other I didn't want to write the GRE for). Despite everyone's "you'll get in somewhere don't worry, you're amazing" and "of course you'll get into McGill, that's where you did your undergrad so they will for sure take you!", I got rejected from every single one. Not even a wait list! 

After this, I figured okay, clearly I need to fix something, went back to school to take the pre-requisites that I was missing to allow me to also apply to the other 2 schools, studied for the GRE (didn't do super hot…did well but not stellar), did even more volunteer work  and re-applied again a second time. Once again, no acceptances, no wait lists. So I went on for about a month afterwards, super depressed and didn't really know what to do with my life. 

Then I decided that this was truly what I wanted to do with my life. So I left my job (working at a restaurant/bar…nothing special), did a whole bunch of volunteer work, re-studied and re-took the GRE, and went back to school part-time AGAIN, but this time I re-took some of the classes that I got below an A- (but at a different University) so that I could boost my GPA of my last 20 classes (since I already knew the material and wasn't learning it for the first time, I got all A+'s and one A in the 6 classes I took). 

Days passed after hearing everyone on here getting accepted, still no acceptances, then a few rejections rolled in. I remember like it was yesterday, one drunken night I was super depressed, drinking wine on my patio (by myself - yes depressed mode haha!) and I literally crumbled to the ground crying. I must have cried for about 20 minutes just thinking "What's my plan B?" And I got really mad at myself because I DIDN'T have a plan B!! This is what I wanted to do and I knew it!! So finally I calmed myself down and drunkenly decided that even though it would be another year striving for this goal of mine, I would do what I thought it took to achieve it. This made me feel a lot better about myself, I just wasn't sure what everyone else would think if it would come time to tell them.

Few days later, I got wait listed at one school, which turned into an acceptance a week after that. All this to say, it took A LOT of time and A LOT of perseverance, but I finally did it! And I can honestly say, I couldn't be more happy than being with the classmates that I am with right now. And I can also honestly say, that if I didn't get in last year, I'd still be trucking away trying to achieve my goal. 

I hope that every single one of you gets in to at least one school and if not, don't hesitate to contact the University to see where you can improve (most are very helpful with that) and keep following your dreams! Don't give up! 

Hey everyone! I realize that this might not be the "best" place to be posting since I am currently doing my Master's in SLP now, and I realize that this is a place for you all to vent (and don't get me wrong I know that it is VERY needed at times like these) but I just thought that I would share my history of applying for SLP with you all to maybe give at least someone some inspiration. 

I'm from Canada, and as I'm sure many of you know, there are A LOT less program options here than there are in the States. So naturally the first time I applied, I applied to 6/10 the Canadian programs (2 of them I didn't have the right pre-requisites for, one of them I didn't apply to because even though my French is good, I didn't understand their website haha and with the stress from all the other schools, I couldn't be bothered to figure it out, and the other I didn't want to write the GRE for). Despite everyone's "you'll get in somewhere don't worry, you're amazing" and "of course you'll get into McGill, that's where you did your undergrad so they will for sure take you!", I got rejected from every single one. Not even a wait list! 

After this, I figured okay, clearly I need to fix something, went back to school to take the pre-requisites that I was missing to allow me to also apply to the other 2 schools, studied for the GRE (didn't do super hot…did well but not stellar), did even more volunteer work  and re-applied again a second time. Once again, no acceptances, no wait lists. So I went on for about a month afterwards, super depressed and didn't really know what to do with my life. 

Then I decided that this was truly what I wanted to do with my life. So I left my job (working at a restaurant/bar…nothing special), did a whole bunch of volunteer work, re-studied and re-took the GRE, and went back to school part-time AGAIN, but this time I re-took some of the classes that I got below an A- (but at a different University) so that I could boost my GPA of my last 20 classes (since I already knew the material and wasn't learning it for the first time, I got all A+'s and one A in the 6 classes I took). 

Days passed after hearing everyone on here getting accepted, still no acceptances, then a few rejections rolled in. I remember like it was yesterday, one drunken night I was super depressed, drinking wine on my patio (by myself - yes depressed mode haha!) and I literally crumbled to the ground crying. I must have cried for about 20 minutes just thinking "What's my plan B?" And I got really mad at myself because I DIDN'T have a plan B!! This is what I wanted to do and I knew it!! So finally I calmed myself down and drunkenly decided that even though it would be another year striving for this goal of mine, I would do what I thought it took to achieve it. This made me feel a lot better about myself, I just wasn't sure what everyone else would think if it would come time to tell them.

Few days later, I got wait listed at one school, which turned into an acceptance a week after that. All this to say, it took A LOT of time and A LOT of perseverance, but I finally did it! And I can honestly say, I couldn't be more happy than being with the classmates that I am with right now. And I can also honestly say, that if I didn't get in last year, I'd still be trucking away trying to achieve my goal. 

I hope that every single one of you gets in to at least one school and if not, don't hesitate to contact the University to see where you can improve (most are very helpful with that) and keep following your dreams! Don't give up!

Such an inspiring story, thank you for sharing! Out of curiosity which school are you at now? I'm also from Canada and I've applied to 5 of the schools here. I'm also getting nervous because people are getting acceptances and I haven't heard anything yet!