Netflix binging

deci:belle

I love the foreign section on Netflix. I binge watch Bollywood movies and Korean dramas (Playful Kiss, Boys over Flowers, My Princess, and I'm currently working on You are Beautiful). They are campy and overdone but oh such a delight when you want something simple and light and amusing! Also I like to pretend that it's improving my foreign language skills … and it's definitely broadening my cultural horizons :)

More British comedy: Spaced. Watch it. It's totally worth it and very relatable to the post-graduate life. IT Crowd is fun too. Louie is great too. 

Lately with my husband we've been binge watching comedy, mainly because the weather is so depressing here: Ex. Louie (the Louis C. K. show) & Portlandia

Our "classics" that we watch sometimes when we eat or something are West Wing and X-Files.

Other things that we've binge watched together or that I have binge-listened-to while data processing at work: Orange is the New Black, Hemlock Grove (which we thought was quirky & funny but several of our friends did not like), Fringe, & Bones (which is super cheesy but easy to follow if I'm just listening to it while I work)

I couldn't get into House of Cards. I need to care about at least one character on a show I'm watching, otherwise it leaves me feeling bad about myself for either rooting for someone I wouldn't like in real life or for rooting against the characters.  

Oh!  Edited to add that while this isn't a binge-able show we did watch a random French movie that was charming and delightful and left my husband and I all bouncy and delighted and we've been trying to convince other people to watch it since: Populaire.  It as so good that now when we are looking for a movie to watch on a Saturday night my husband always bemoans, "I wish we could find another Populaire..."

Edited by Queen of Kale

• 2 months later...

Binge watching Netflix shows I know well is what gets me through long coding sessions - I made it all the way through Grey's Anatomy and Fringe during my last project :). I don't have to pay much attention, and when I need a break I can focus on the series for 15-20 min.

I'm late but couldn't resist.  I love OITNB, Hell on Wheels, Nip Tuck.  I watch a ton of documentaries and stand up comedy as well.  Netflix has been great for us since we cut our cable package down to the basic channels.

I agree, House of Cards picks up after a few episodes. I didn't like it at first, but then… wow.

If you like things strange, creepy, and confusing: "Twin Peaks" is my favorite series and it's available to stream.

I second the Twin Peaks suggestion. One of my all-time favorites!

A few others have mentioned Louie, and I will as well-- I think it's one of the best shows on TV right now. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is great, too, and highly underrated. 

I have access to my Dad's netflix, but I also take advantage of my Amazon Prime Instant Video. Sometimes there are things there that aren't available for streaming on Netflix. I have cable, but I never watch it because my schedule is too weird. I was cheaper to get Internet + cable than it would be to have just Internet.

Right now, I'm staring on Heroes since I have a week or so before I have to start my Qual proposal hard-core (yikes!). I also recommend House, Bones, and Once Upon a Time.

I'm going to be coming back through this list to pick new things to watch. :) 

I've been watching Fringe lately. I like sci-fi drama type shows with a bit of humor (so X-Files, Angel, Dollhouse, Lost), documentaries, and shows like that. Really, anything with enough plot to half-follow but not so engaging that I forget to do stuff.

So far this summer I've finished the final season of Burn Notice and Breaking Bad, and am working my way through the entire run of Sons of Anarchy. I only about 1/2 watch while I write, but I'm glad to catch up.

house of cards is that show where a senator or something arranges to have a bunch of people murdered right? I only saw 1 episode of that

I wish they can have halt and catch fire on hulu or netflix or something. I like that show

• 2 weeks later...