Admission and Wait List Declines

Wait For It...

I have officially declined offers from Duke and WUSTL.  I hope those help people here!

Thanks for contributing, and congratulations on your school of choice (UNC)! They have a great program and I wish you the best as you begun your studies this Fall!

I'm also sure that many folks are happy about all the good schools you declined!  

A friend of mine is declining Missouri and Oklahoma offers today (and Purdue and Iowa in the near future). If you're wait listed for either admission or funding at any of those four schools, keep an eye on your email!  

Lucky friend you got there...yeesh.

I've officially turned down offers from U Penn and Notre Dame. If you're considering those schools and you want any more information about my decision, please PM me. 

I hope it can help people on those wait lists a bit - On that note, just a friendly reminder to other people who may be planning to decline offers but haven't yet, that some of us who are on wait lists could really benefit from those timely notifications.

I've officially turned down offers from U Penn and Notre Dame. If you're considering those schools and you want any more information about my decision, please PM me. 

I hope it can help people on those wait lists a bit - On that note, just a friendly reminder to other people who may be planning to decline offers but haven't yet, that some of us who are on wait lists could really benefit from those timely notifications.

Thanks for the info! 

A friend of mine is declining Missouri and Oklahoma offers today (and Purdue and Iowa in the near future). If you're wait listed for either admission or funding at any of those four schools, keep an eye on your email!  

Thanks for the info.

Is he or she PLANNING to turn down offers from Purdue and Iowa (because he or she has already received a better offer) or merely HOPING to be able to turn down those offers (because he or she is expecting to receive a better offer soon)?  If the former option, why not do it now? 

Presumably there is some reason, but I don't understand why people don't turn down offers when they already have better offers on the table. 

Thanks for the info.

Is he or she PLANNING to turn down offers from Purdue and Iowa (because he or she has already received a better offer) or merely HOPING to be able to turn down those offers (because he or she is expecting to receive a better offer soon)?  If the former option, why not do it now? 

Presumably there is some reason, but I don't understand why people don't turn down offers when they already have better offers on the table. 

Yes, she has another offer that fits best for her and will be turning down both Iowa and Purdue. As to when, I don't know.

Regarding why she has yet to decline, there are many possible reasons. I know there's lots of talk on here about not understanding why people don't decline sooner than later---I've wondered myself---but, given how important these decisions are and how many factors are involved, I think it's best that we allow people the time to make their decisions. One mustn't rush when deciding where one will be for the next five or so years. All decisions will be made in due time. I know waiting is rough, but hang in there, and allow others the time to think carefully about what they really want to do. We can't see into each applicant's personal life to discern what decisions are like for he/she. At this point it's best not to judge people for waiting as long as they do. That's not to say that you were judging wrongly, but rather a general word; your questions are ones we all ask. 

Anyway, sorry for the "preaching." I hope my info is helpful.     

Yes, she has another offer that fits best for her and will be turning down both Iowa and Purdue. As to when, I don't know.

Regarding why she has yet to decline, there are many possible reasons. I know there's lots of talk on here about not understanding why people don't decline sooner than later---I've wondered myself---but, given how important these decisions are and how many factors are involved, I think it's best that we allow people the time to make their decisions. One mustn't rush when deciding where one will be for the next five or so years. All decisions will be made in due time. I know waiting is rough, but hang in there, and allow others the time to think carefully about what they really want to do. We can't see into each applicant's personal life to discern what decisions are like for he/she. At this point it's best not to judge people for waiting as long as they do. That's not to say that you were judging wrongly, but rather a general word; your questions are ones we all ask.

Anyway, sorry for the "preaching." I hope my info is helpful.

Well said and I agree.. I was not judging or trying to rush anyone. I was just curious if anyone had insider information on why one might sit on an offer one doesn't plan to accept (besides being cautious and allowing oneself time to process and weigh the options). It doesn't really matter though. You are right; under circumstances like these, a more stoic attitude is appropriate. We will all find out by April 15 (ish)--with plenty of time to prepare for the following school year. Am I preaching now?

In any case, I'm glad to hear good news. Thanks a gain for sharing.

Well said and I agree.. I was not judging or trying to rush anyone. I was just curious if anyone had insider information on why one might sit on an offer one doesn't plan to accept (besides being cautious and allowing oneself time to process and weigh the options). It doesn't really matter though. You are right; under circumstances like these, a more stoic attitude is appropriate. We will all find out by April 15 (ish)--with plenty of time to prepare for the following school year. Am I preaching now?

No problem! (out of up-votes). 

I think it's time to start rushing people.  :)

Word on the streets is that I'm 'very high' on WMU's waitlist; are any of you nice people planning on declining their offers? Would an ice cold fiver sweeten the deal?

Man, I was hoping you were declining...

A friend also declined an Iowa offer. 

I assume that  this is the same friend whose motivations we were discussing on April 2?  You don't have two friends turning down offers from Iowa, do you?

Thanks for the updates.

Man, I was hoping you were declining...

It didn't sound like anyone had declined yet; so, there's a chance we'll make it! I wonder, though, whether there will be any funding? If there's not, then, depending on the price tag, I might end up going to Virginia Tech.

Who knows--I wish I knew now what I will know whenever this week is over.