Ladies, what type of bag or purse do you use for school?

Student88

For folks of all genders, Timbuk2 makes great, sturdy messenger bags. And if you care about these things, the company is upfront about where their bags are made and how they try to be green. Since the bags were originally made for bike messengers, they are HUGE and STURDY. And once you're done with your bag, you can return it to them and get 30% off your next new bag.

Most importantly, unlike shoulder bags I'd buy at Staples or fashion boutiques, these bags are built to last, even when you have three textbooks, your lunch, a giant water bottle, and your laptop in them. My only regret is that I didn't spend the extra dough to get the shoulder strap; I'll do that next time!

Timbuk2 is the best!!!! Definitely check them out. You can design your own colors!

This is a timely topic.

So, I've been using my Coach bag for several years now, including two in grad school. It's a large shoulder bag that can fit my laptop. It has one zipped outside pocket, one inner zipped pocket, and two open pockets. While it definitely looks stylish and matches well with all of my business casual outfits, I finally gave up on it last week. I spent way too much time looking around the outside pocket for what I needed at the moment. I typically carry my laptop, charger, iPhone, wallet, lip balm, cosmetics (blotting sheets, powder compact, lipstick, lipgloss), hand lotion, pens, earbuds, keys, and manila folder with some papers. The outside pocket is just one big pocket and everything gets jumbled in there. What I can't put in my bag are my water bottle and lunch bags, which I have to carry in my hands.

So, I finally decided to purchase a Tom Bihn (http://www.tombihn.com/) Large Cafe Bag that I'd been eyeing for a while. It's definitely not stylish by any means, but it looks durable and functional. I also ordered accessories such as clear organizer pouches and a cache for my laptop. It's supposed to arrive in a few days!

I also need to switch from one-shoulder to across-the-shoulder. I don't like back packs because I don't like the way they rub against my clothing and you have to be careful wearing a backpack with a dress or skirt as the skirt can ride up in the back as you walk, exposing things that should not be exposed (I've seen this happen way too often!).

So I got the OG bag by Lo & Sons in the mail on Thursday and have been using it non stop. It's an addiction, really. The bag is large, but not so large that I feel like I'm hauling luggage around all day. I got a navy blue one with gold hardware and a brown strap because I thought it read more "work bag" and less "carry on". It has an interior flap pocket specifically for a laptop (my 13-inch MacBook Pro fit perfectly) as well as a few more smaller interior pockets (I use them for my phone and sunglasses). There is plenty of room for a significant amount of library books (I returned six today and they fit perfectly but were, obviously, heavy) and there are two large exterior zip pockets that are good for anything else--I actually tucked a folder in one and left it unzipped and it worked really well. It comes with a thick, adjustable vinyl strap so you can wear it as a messenger and has a zip pocket on the bottom for storing things like gym shoes or whatnot (since it doubles for a gym back); I stuffed a bottle of water and Polar watch heart monitor in it with a pair of shoes and had room to spare. 

I think the best thing about the bag is that it doesn't read "this is my school bag"--it's exceptionally functional and still very stylish. I know that style matters less to some people out there, but I can say that I've owned a NorthFace backpack as well and I'd pick this bag over it any day. It's so much easier than carrying a purse and a backpack and is perfect for commuting. What I will say is that I will not do a significant of walking around campus--I'll be taking public transit from my apartment--so a heavier, less ergonomic bag isn't too huge a detriment to me as I will be doing ten minutes walking to/from the bus stop and not hitching a ton of stuff (since I'll have an office on campus). 

A couple of you said that you have Longchamp bags, so I thought I'd do a comparison. I've been carrying the medium sized Longchamp that ​everyone seems to have. I've had my bag for about four years now and love it for days where all I need is a notebook, wallet, and laptop/charger. This bag is only comparable in that it's made from the same exterior material--nylon. The inside, however, is lined (mine is a gorgeous lavender color) and it is extremely padded so it protects the contents and also gives the bag significant structure--with nothing in it, the bag still stands up and holds shape without drooping or falling over. Also, there is a lot more storage with the Lo & Sons bag (much better than the droopy, single interior Longchamp pocket that holds nothing) and the extra cross body strap is nice to have. 

All in all, this bag is worth the money if you have it and want something that is fashionable and still functional. I would feel perfectly comfortable carrying this bag to a conference or even dinner with my friends because it reads as a messenger-sized bag. I actually would go as far as calling this my "holy grail" conference bag because there's tons of room for anything you might need, including the countless number of books I tend to pick up at conferences. It's also nice because I don't have to move my stuff constantly from one bag to another; with my Longchamp, I was always taking out my computer and school stuff anytime I wanted to put anything else in it (sweater, more books, etc.) and having to carry two bags. This bag is large enough that it fits a spare change of clothes plus everything I need on campus. 

Edited by ArthurianChaucerian

I use a Cambridge Satchel Company batchel and it's been fabulous for me. It looks very professional, and I've owned it for 4 years and it looks brand new.

I must now save up my meager stipend and accumulate hours in my part-time job to get this bag. 

I must now save up my meager stipend and accumulate hours in my part-time job to get this bag. 

Ugh, my sentiments exactly. I can't stop thinking about that beautiful (red) bag! haha. I wonder how it is for laptops, though. It seems there is only one big pocket. 

I caved, too - I'm nearing the end of my first year of my PhD program on a campus where I am absolutely one of the older students, and I switched to a backpack midway through the year. And strangely enough: it's from Ikea. Here is the link: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40241130/

The great thing is that it really is two backpacks: the complete bigger backpack, and when you zip them apart, a much thinner backpack that still fits my laptop, tablet, pad of paper, one book, and wallet and such. I absolutely adore it, it is super comfy, and I love the option to have a big backpack and a much slimmer one.

A lot of those messenger bags look nice, but I can't imagine carrying them around all day, or commuting with them. My neck and back would be killing me! But kudos to those of you who can manage them. Considering I see women in suits and dresses carrying nice backpacks (and I carried one myself when working full time and wearing a suit to work), I'll stick with my backpack! As long as it is clean, neat, and professional looking, I don't see the problem with carrying a backpack. Like I said, I see lots of professional women commuting with them, and I did so myself. Maybe it's because I'm a non-traditional student, and so I'm older than the typical grad student, but my back and neck would not be able to deal with a messenger-type bag, especially when having to stand on a train, bus, or subway, for significant periods of time during my commute.

My High Sierra backpack is kind of ugly after 5 years, but it has a feature that I find so useful that I'm loathe to get rid of it - it has a plastic covering and a little pouch for it in the bottom of the backpack that I can pull over the backpack when the rain is coming down hard. Useful for keeping my electronics dry. 

I do have a small Sherpani backpack for when I don't need much stuff. It's very nice - can't find its exact design online though.

My friend recommends timbuk2 for bags. 

Do you think my professors would take me less seriously if I got this bag? :)

i typically hate bags like that but that bag is cute...

idk though, i would always say save your money and get something versatile...  if you are in a PhD, i always think on the terms of present yourself as a colleague vs grad student to make that impression early on.

I'm going to be walking the mile or two to campus most likely, and maybe even possibly biking. I've never biked anywhere before but it is very popular in Boulder. Because of that, I definitely want a backpack that can carry my laptop, maybe an extra pair of shoes. Maybe something like this http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/sweeper-backpack.html. 

I'm going to be meeting with patients during clinical sessions so I will want some sort of tote I imagine to carry during those sessions to hold my materials. Does anyone know a tote that could be pack down into a backpack and then used during the day while I am on campus or in the clinic? 

Pricey, but I'm in love with the satchel I bought from them two years ago. Good quality, and this is a backpack while still looking pretty damn classy for client sessions.

https://www.cambridgesatchel.com/us/buy/the-backpack/

I'm going to be meeting with patients during clinical sessions so I will want some sort of tote I imagine to carry during those sessions to hold my materials. Does anyone know a tote that could be pack down into a backpack and then used during the day while I am on campus or in the clinic? 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late to this thread, but Everlane makes great backpacks/totes: https://www.everlane.com/collections/womens-backpacks

I have a weekender bag and love it, and I'm considering a zip tote as an alternative to my worn out Longchamp. Their stuff is really sturdy and really affordable. And, a lot cuter than your traditional backpack.

I'm going to be walking the mile or two to campus most likely, and maybe even possibly biking. I've never biked anywhere before but it is very popular in Boulder. Because of that, I definitely want a backpack that can carry my laptop, maybe an extra pair of shoes. Maybe something like this http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/sweeper-backpack.html. 

Also, Longchamp for sure. A little pricy, but will last you for years and folds into a nice little square.

I carry a Betsey Johnson black and cream colored tote. It's roomy enough to hold my laptop and a few books, but I generally resort to my North Face Backpack if I need to carry anything substantial around. I am lucky enough to live fairly close to campus so I don't have to bring everything with me for a long commute (like I did in undergrad). Most of the female professors at my school have some type of rolling briefcase that they use. I just don't carry lots of heavy books with me, so I generally just throw everything in the tote and go.

This is similar to the tote I have if it helps at all. Its durable and has held up for the past year with minimal wear and tear. I also only paid $40 for it a TJ Maxx.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BETSEY-JOHNSON-TOTE-CANDY-RIBBONS-BOWS-SHOULDER-BAG-BLACK-BONE-GOLD-STUDS-NWT-/321387401493

Edited by harrisonfjord

I use a backpack.  Shoulder bags just aren't great when you need to haul a laptop, books, and a water bottle around campus all day, for years.  

Materials make a difference in how the bag is perceived -- so, I'd recommend a canvas or leather backpack, not the swishy, reflective nylon stuff. 

I now get why this thread is generating so much discussion! After going through tons and tons of sites (and even returning a purchase) I finally ordered what I was looking for: http://www.fjallraven.us/pages/kanken

I wanted a laptop-sized backpack that was cute, comfortable on my back, and durable. This one is all that, and water repellant as well! Plus its swedish so that just naturally makes it cooler :D

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, because for some reason trying to find something that meets all of my school bag needs and wants had turned into a borderline-existential crisis for me. 

But here's the bag that finally made me happy, and it's $38! It has an awesome set of pockets, including two side pockets that can be used for a water bottle and sunglasses, it's roomy enough for my lap-top and lunch, comfortable to carry, and at $38 I will never have to feel bad about replacing it. 

For what it's worth, I used to always carry Coach diaper bags for a lot of the same reasons, but those bags are heavy even when empty. This one is super light on its own, and that makes the thin strap much more comfortable than it would be on a heavier bag.