Fall 2015 Applicants

I am really sorry for your rejection. Last year, when i received my first one (and all of them were rejections) , my heart literally skipped a bit. I lost all hope from that point on. But, Arizona State is like the MOST competitive school. You can have EVERYTHING but because there are so many people applying, the chance is so small. Last year, i think they had like 200 applicants! 

You have applied to many programs, i am crossing my fingers for your and am sure you will get in at least one ! keep your head up! 

Totally agree re: how shitty the first rejection would feel. I called the Chicago anthropology dept yesterday and found out I didn't make the shortlisted candidates, which is such a bummer! Especially because a professor I was in touch with through the process read my SoP, said it was terrific, that I ought to do well and that she hopes they can 'capture' me. Surely that would warrant at least a wait listed position?

I am quite pleased! My POI is Michael Lambek, his work is very similar to mine and he's well known so he's a good fit, not sure if I'm totally sold on Toronto though (even if I am Canadian). Ah, you have my sympathies. When I first contacted Lambek I mentioned that I had just finished a Masters at Oxford and he, thinking I was an international, flat-out warned me that there is very little funding for non-Canadians. I hope you're one of the lucky few!

If you're going to Toronto, does this mean you're not rejoining the Wolf Pack? ISCA library back room has been lonely without you here this year, man.

And apologies if you aren't who I think you are ;)

Totally agree re: how shitty the first rejection would feel. I called the Chicago anthropology dept yesterday and found out I didn't make the shortlisted candidates, which is such a bummer! Especially because a professor I was in touch with through the process read my SoP, said it was terrific, that I ought to do well and that she hopes they can 'capture' me. Surely that would warrant at least a wait listed position?

BNS do you happen to know how many folks where shortlisted and if they have all been contacted?

I've heard that Chicago received up to 300 applications which means lots of great candidates get passed over even ones who've been in touch with faculty. 

If you're going to Toronto, does this mean you're not rejoining the Wolf Pack? ISCA library back room has been lonely without you here this year, man.

And apologies if you aren't who I think you are ;)

Ha, no you got it! UK still holds sway; all depends on funding though. What about you? Any word from Duke? (That's your top outside of ISCA correct?)

Ha, no you got it! UK still holds sway; all depends on funding though. What about you? Any word from Duke? (That's your top outside of ISCA correct?)

Hahaha wooo! I spent an egregiously long time this morning sitting in Brew not writing my thesis, and instead trying to decide if this was really you. You made a typo in a previous post and that was the only strike against you being you. If there's another Canadian out there who did a Masters at Ox last year and wants to work with Michael Lambek, then I figured you've got a problem with academic identity thieves :P

Wasn't on the interview shortlist for Duke, so I'm out (FML...what more do they want??). Haven't heard back from anyone else and I didn't even apply to ISCA in the end. MBanks was trying to convince me the other day, but I'm like show me the ££££ first and stop the dinos in the department from making fun of me and my project and I'll reconsider. *sigh*

Come back. Library and gym both boring without you (though we've had a whole host of LOUD typists move into the library and weights idiots into the gym so maybe you're better off...). 

I've gotten 2 rejections (Duke & Oregon) already and it sucks! Really hoping for just oneee acceptance-- I emailed Emory U and found out that I am currently in the alternate pool. Congrats to all of who who've received interviews and acceptances :) You're fabulous!

BNS do you happen to know how many folks where shortlisted and if they have all been contacted?

I've heard that Chicago received up to 300 applications which means lots of great candidates get passed over even ones who've been in touch with faculty.

I know you're right, smg. I just can't help taking it personally, despite the fact that I know it's not. I just felt like my SoP was my baby, and watching it fail is a bummer. And nope, I didn't ask her how many are on the shortlist, but I think most would've been contacted by now. Are you waiting to hear as well? I strongly suggest calling - they're very friendly!

Hey MissAnthropology! good to see some internationals are getting into Toronto (not just us dull Canadians). If you don't mind me asking, what's your focus/POI? Is Toronto one of your top choices? What do you think of Toronto Anthropology's reputation? (as compared to some of the top UK/US programs)

I contacted Max Friesen back in the fall about coming to Toronto for graduate studies in arctic archaeology. He was very personable over email and even gave me some articles to read. He did warn me, however, about the near impossibility of getting accepted as an international applicant. To add to it, I was applying to the PhD program as direct-entry (just finished my BA this spring). Basically I had two marks against me already, but I applied anyway. There aren't many arctic archaeology programs out there and Toronto/Friesen really seem like a good fit for me. And from what I've been told by my referees and colleagues in the field, Toronto is a reputable school whose name carries some cachet (which I'm hoping will help later on when I enter the job market). Maybe this judgement on reputation is different from a Canadian perspective?

I also like the idea of getting out of Illinois.  B)

P.S. This is my second time around applying to schools. Last year, I kind of winged it and was met with across the board rejections. I was shortlisted at WashU, and after I drove down for interviews, it was clear that my interests didn't line up with those of the faculty as well as I had thought. This time I started earlier, did more research, and made sure to contact faculty well ahead of time. Honestly, this unexpected time off has been great. I've been able to get more job experience and I have the time to work on getting an article ready for publication. So for those still waiting, don't despair if you aren't successful this round! Keep your head up and use your time off to build up your CV.

Chicago are interviewing 33 for 15 spots . No idea if all those 33 have been contacted yet though.

I know it's down to individual profs to email the candidates.

Good to know.  Thanks for the info. 

I know you're right, smg. I just can't help taking it personally, despite the fact that I know it's not. I just felt like my SoP was my baby, and watching it fail is a bummer. And nope, I didn't ask her how many are on the shortlist, but I think most would've been contacted by now. Are you waiting to hear as well? I strongly suggest calling - they're very friendly!

I just called Chicago- doesn't look like I made the shortlist either, but they were quite friendly. Anyone else waiting I would suggest you call! 

I just called Chicago- doesn't look like I made the shortlist either, but they were quite friendly. Anyone else waiting I would suggest you call! 

I'm okay without calling.  I'm going to assume I didnt make the shortlist.  I already have one acceptance and one shortlist which I thought was a long shot.  I feel pretty good about this round regardless with what happens from now on. 

I contacted Max Friesen back in the fall about coming to Toronto for graduate studies in arctic archaeology. He was very personable over email and even gave me some articles to read. He did warn me, however, about the near impossibility of getting accepted as an international applicant. To add to it, I was applying to the PhD program as direct-entry (just finished my BA this spring). Basically I had two marks against me already, but I applied anyway. There aren't many arctic archaeology programs out there and Toronto/Friesen really seem like a good fit for me. And from what I've been told by my referees and colleagues in the field, Toronto is a reputable school whose name carries some cachet (which I'm hoping will help later on when I enter the job market). Maybe this judgement on reputation is different from a Canadian perspective?

I also like the idea of getting out of Illinois.  B)

P.S. This is my second time around applying to schools. Last year, I kind of winged it and was met with across the board rejections. I was shortlisted at WashU, and after I drove down for interviews, it was clear that my interests didn't line up with those of the faculty as well as I had thought. This time I started earlier, did more research, and made sure to contact faculty well ahead of time. Honestly, this unexpected time off has been great. I've been able to get more job experience and I have the time to work on getting an article ready for publication. So for those still waiting, don't despair if you aren't successful this round! Keep your head up and use your time off to build up your CV.

Wow, bravo! Way to beat the odds, they were obviously impressed.

Well, clearly Archaeology and Socio-cultural anthro departments have slightly different prestige maps, but that's really why I'm asking- Toronto has always been a little bit of an odd-ball for me. It's clearly an excellent school (top 20 by THE I believe) with a great academic reputation (but lacking that popular name-brand recognition). However, I'm not sure about the kind of access a PhD from there would allow for jobs in top-tier departments in the US and UK (the alumni list only has a few people, but they have gone on to places like Columbia and Stanford). U of T has a great reputation in Canada, but I'm not sure if that translates outside of the country, especially within anthropology.

Toronto is a great town! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Definitely can relate- had a similar occurrence last year. Preparation is key.

I'm okay without calling.  I'm going to assume I didnt make the shortlist.  I already have one acceptance and one shortlist which I thought was a long shot.  I feel pretty good about this round regardless with what happens from now on.

Yes! I need some of that positive thinking.

Hey guys, quick question about one of my applications.

Its for a school that I see already has a few acceptances (like 3). Basically if I go to my application it says "waiting for supplemental documents" and then it says the only thing it's waiting for is my TOEFL score. However, as a Canadian I do not need to submit (or take for that matter) TOEFL scores, but for some reason it still asks for them on the application.

Should I email the grad admin and ask about this? I know sometimes applications will still say they need it even when they don't, I just don't want it to be overlooked for such a silly thing.

What do you think? Thanks :)

Can I ask you guys about the process of calling? I see a lot of posts about finding out that one is short-listed, not short-listed, etc.

Are you calling the department itself (assuming you're not contacting your POIs)? And do you have a justification behind this, like you see other people getting interviews? Or are you just cold calling with "Hi, I just wanted to check on the status of my application..."

I've always assumed that contacting the departments would yield no more than a vague "we'll let you know mid-March" but to my surprise it seems like you guys are getting pretty material information. Any advice?

Can I ask you guys about the process of calling? I see a lot of posts about finding out that one is short-listed, not short-listed, etc.

Are you calling the department itself (assuming you're not contacting your POIs)? And do you have a justification behind this, like you see other people getting interviews? Or are you just cold calling with "Hi, I just wanted to check on the status of my application..."

I've always assumed that contacting the departments would yield no more than a vague "we'll let you know mid-March" but to my surprise it seems like you guys are getting pretty material information. Any advice?

I called the department, not admissions. When I called I just said I knew other people had received notification and was wondering if they had any information on my application. The person at Chicago was surprisingly pleasant! 

I called the department, not admissions. When I called I just said I knew other people had received notification and was wondering if they had any information on my application. The person at Chicago was surprisingly pleasant! 

Thank you!

I am really sorry for your rejection. Last year, when i received my first one (and all of them were rejections) , my heart literally skipped a bit. I lost all hope from that point on. But, Arizona State is like the MOST competitive school. You can have EVERYTHING but because there are so many people applying, the chance is so small. Last year, i think they had like 200 applicants! 

You have applied to many programs, i am crossing my fingers for your and am sure you will get in at least one ! keep your head up! 

Thank you for the kind words!  ASU was one of my reach schools but it still sucks to get rejected.  Hopefully the rejections will get easier from here on out, and you're absolutely right, it only takes one school to make it happen!  Good luck to you the rest of the way :)

Hey!

Has anyone applied to Anthro-History at Michigan? If so, was anyone else applying with any studies related to the African continent? 

I'd love to chat and hear how things are going!

Thanks, 

Steph

I wanted to pop in and introduce myself. Hai! I claim a Brown admit and a Princeton admit. This round is my second attempt at PhD programs (third by other counts), and I went through a lot of rejections to get to this point. When I first started out, there was so little concrete information (and that is still true), so I wanted to start contributing to the forum in a way that's helpful to people like my past self. The biggest thing I want to say is have hope. If you are in love with this field and give it the time, you'll get where you need to be.