Fall 2015 Applicants

Does anyone know what's happening with the CUNY admissions? There's been two admits on the results page but aside from that they seem incredibly unclear as to what's happening. Any news?

A lot of prospective students were invited to visit a dept. colloquium yesterday or last friday. From the Admissions chair, I know they sent out all notices to the top 13 applicants they are offering spots for by today... waitlisted people are being notified but I don't know if all have been. They only have 7 fully funded spots. 

Congrats to all Yale acceptances! Could I ask you guys to please let me know (PM or post here) when you receive the official letters? I'm trying to figure out whether I'm one of those admits whose POI does not care to email, or whether I got a straight rejection or a waitlist. I applied to the combined degree in environmental science. Thanks!

Edited by oceanus

A lot of prospective students were invited to visit a dept. colloquium yesterday or last friday. From the Admissions chair, I know they sent out all notices to the top 13 applicants they are offering spots for by today... waitlisted people are being notified but I don't know if all have been. They only have 7 fully funded spots.

I suppose they have 9 fully funded spots. That was what admissions committee chair wrote in his first message for making an interview.

But do we know how many people there are on the waitlist? I have no any other offer and I am waitlisted at CUNY which is my top choice! Such a weird/ tough situation... :(

On that note actually, if one were to write to ask about one's application status whom would one email? The Graduate Studies Director? Another administrative person?

I sent an email to the... I think she's called a "Graduate Secretary", or maybe "Graduate Assistant"?  She ended up forwarding my email to someone on the admissions committee.

I suppose they have 9 fully funded spots. That was what admissions committee chair wrote in his first message for making an interview.

But do we know how many people there are on the waitlist? I have no any other offer and I am waitlisted at CUNY which is my top choice! Such a weird/ tough situation... :(

I was told 9 spots in the email as well, but then 7 when I met with the DGS in person...so who knows?? It's my top choice as well and I know that the waitlist is ranked because I was told my spot on it. I wish you good luck. Let's hope some of those who received first offers will accept at other schools!!! 

Man, UT Austin is taking its sweet time...

One of my friends already got a UT Austin admit on January 29th (informal email from his POI). He's going for a visit next week. I have a feeling UT Austin was one of those where no one on grad cafe got an acceptance email (or cared to share), as he is not the only one I know with a UT Austin admit--- I'm aware of at least 2 more who are not on this site. Sorry to be the potential bearer of bad news :( 

One of my friends already got a UT Austin admit on January 29th (informal email from his POI). He's going for a visit next week. I have a feeling UT Austin was one of those where no one on grad cafe got an acceptance email (or cared to share), as he is not the only one I know with a UT Austin admit--- I'm aware of at least 2 more who are not on this site. Sorry to be the potential bearer of bad news :(

Ughhh, why wouldn't they just let us know now if we're already rejected?

So i found out i was rejected from Pittsburgh by the graduate secretary- formal email. :(

Sorry to hear.  Maybe I will get my rejection email today.  At this point, I just want to cross them off my list. 

CONGRATS museum_geek!! That exhilarated thrill of disbelief is AMAZING. Are you leaning towards VT?

As for me, I finally got the official rejection from MIT HASTS.

I knew, thanks to gradcafe, that interview offers went out a month ago and so I obviously wasn't going to get in. I'm glad I was able to cross them off my list early rather than keeping my fingers crossed for this entire extra month. 

CONGRATS museum_geek!! That exhilarated thrill of disbelief is AMAZING. Are you leaning towards VT?

YES!!!! That is the BEST feeling! Congratulations :)

Thanks guys!  I'm doubly in shock given that I only applied to MA programs - I really wasn't expecting to get full funding anywhere.  VT is definitely looking like a pretty strong option now, especially since they are the only program where I won't have to pay out of pocket.  Their program will probably prepare me better than most others for a PhD, but I don't know much about Blacksburg and I've already made some strong connections with the faculty at KU, so it will be a tough call.  I'll wait and see if I get any other offers before making a decisions, of course.

For now I'm just going to enjoy having options!  :D

Thanks!  I'm, um....weird...so I'm hoping there's a program that is more open to an applicant who doesn't fit into their traditional boxes, but we'll see.