Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

Thank you, Professor. Are all the interview requests already out?

They should be, though I can't know when people check mail.

Also, to add a bit of complexity, some POIs are more prone to make phone calls than others... so a non-call really doesn't mean much.

They should be, though I can't know when people check mail.

Also, to add a bit of complexity, some POIs are more prone to make phone calls than others... so a non-call really doesn't mean much.

Perfect, thanks again!

Looking at the results page, I see someone submitted on January 9th that they have been accepted to "Texas A" via e-mail. Wondering if "Texas A" is shorthand for Texas-Austin; Arlington; A&M, etc.?? Can anyone claim the acceptance and extrapolate a little?

I've just checked my Texas-Austing application account and no decision has been made yet...

Odd question - what does an interview request look like? If a POI sends an email, will it explicitly ask for an interview? Or is it more of an informal thing, just reaching out with some comments on your application and interests with the expectation that you send something intelligent-sounding back?

Odd question - what does an interview request look like? If a POI sends an email, will it explicitly ask for an interview? Or is it more of an informal thing, just reaching out with some comments on your application and interests with the expectation that you send something intelligent-sounding back?

I wish I could tell you! By the way, interesting question. I had an interview for a PhD admission, not an American university and it was entirely based on a research project submitted alongside the application. This time - no detailed projects involved - I guess it would be different, I am also curious to know how different.

Have you received any feedback on your applications?

Edited by Robes

Starting to go crazy.  No idea how to prevent it.  I also want to submit a different SOP to a university but imagine they will laugh at me if I send a new one at this point.

Assuming this is for a program that has a Jan. 15th deadline (or another deadline that has yet to pass), I don't see why this would be that big of an issue. If you decide to do it, be sure to go through whoever their graduate admissions coordinator is and not the graduate director. 

Assuming this is for a program that has a Jan. 15th deadline (or another deadline that has yet to pass), I don't see why this would be that big of an issue. If you decide to do it, be sure to go through whoever their graduate admissions coordinator is and not the graduate director. 

It is not - thus the laughter.

Hey all,

I've been following this thread for a bit so I figured I'd make an account. I'm looking to study IPE and Methods. Specifically, I'm interested in how political actors strategically interact within networks. 

I applied to OSU and actually just finished talking to my interviewer not too long ago. Most of the questions were pretty basic. It looked like they were looking a lot more for the student's fit in the program than anything else. 

Good luck to everyone!

So I've been (not obsessively, I promise) checking the survey page and notice a lot of people say they "got an email from a POI". What exactly does this mean? Is this somebody who they had contact with prior, or is it a professor who chose to work with them based on their fit in their application?

Hey all,

I've been following this thread for a bit so I figured I'd make an account. I'm looking to study IPE and Methods. Specifically, I'm interested in how political actors strategically interact within networks. 

I applied to OSU and actually just finished talking to my interviewer not too long ago. Most of the questions were pretty basic. It looked like they were looking a lot more for the student's fit in the program than anything else. 

Good luck to everyone!

Ahaha I wish I had kept up to date on this thread.  I've been getting spam phonecalls on my cell for the better part of a year now and generally don't answer anything from numbers I don't recognize.  I received such a call earlier this afternoon and wasn't going to pick up until I realized at the last second it was from a Columbus, OH area code--naturally, it was a POI at OSU.

I can confirm that the interview [which the POI assured me "was not an interview"] was pretty broad in scope:  I think "what do you want to study?", "why [my alma mater]?", and "why OSU/Columbus?" were the only questions I was asked in any sort of formal/scripted sense.  The rest was more or less just a conversation [which seemed overwhelmingly positive]. 

Echoing PA, good luck to everyone.

Hey... did anyone else apply to MIT? There doesn't seem to be anywhere in their application system that indicates my app has been received or is in review. All I can find is a link for the application fee receipt. Is this true for everyone, or am I just missing something?

Hey... did anyone else apply to MIT? There doesn't seem to be anywhere in their application system that indicates my app has been received or is in review. All I can find is a link for the application fee receipt. Is this true for everyone, or am I just missing something?

Yeah, I've applied to MIT. On the main screen after you login it should say (in the second paragraph) that you've submitted your application, followed by something about letter status. 

I can confirm that the interview [which the POI assured me "was not an interview"] was pretty broad in scope:  I think "what do you want to study?", "why [my alma mater]?", and "why OSU/Columbus?" were the only questions I was asked in any sort of formal/scripted sense.  The rest was more or less just a conversation [which seemed overwhelmingly positive]. 

I didn't script those questions, for what it's worth.

I do suggest that your POIs avoid making it feel like an interview, though. It's true that these conversations will help us make our decisions, but mostly we just want to get to know more about you than what your files suggest. We always end up turning away people that we'd be very happy to admit -- that's just the reality. But we'd like to make as few mistakes (one way or the other) as possible.

Glad to hear the conversation was positive :-)

So it's Monday tomorrow and looking at previous years there could be some acceptances this week..

That would be a relief.  I had a dream that I was cold called at 3 am for an interview last night!   The struggle is real! haha

So it's Monday tomorrow and looking at previous years there could be some acceptances this week..

There have already been rejections and acceptances this cycle. check out http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=political+science

There will undoubtedly be more acceptances and/or rejections this week.

Edited by dsg8099