Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

AULDReekie-- I guess I qualify as one of the 'lurkers' so I made an account!  Good luck to everyone!  

Well done ;). What do you want to study?

this waiting is just not fun. and then if I do get in somewhere, I have 5-6 months left of working in a job I have no enthusiasm for. 

No.. I'm trying to distract myself. Luckily we've got a big cycling trip planned in the summer and my generally pessimistic nature has me thinking up back up plans. Anything that's not my old job! (Politics.. eugh.)

Finally finished all 11 apps to U.S programs. Now for two, much much longer ones (basically full research proposals) for British and French programs  :(

Woop! I've decided not to apply for UK PhDs. I've quite a few friends just finishing and the job market looks truly atrocious and it just doesn't fit what I want to do as it's much harder to get an academic job in the US with a degree from the UK.

Ya I know the job market in the UK isn't the best. But there were just a few potential advisors there that seemed close enough to my interests that it was worth a try. It's also a bit of an insurance policy, as I'm worried my profile be a bit too qualitative for U.S programs.

Hello letsgo2015! I hope some more of the lurkers come out of hiding, I always see a few guests reading the forum; The waiting/commiserating/celebrating's going to be better if we have more people involved.

Then again, the guests could always just be the adcoms trying to match the files with the users!

I am an international student, applying for political theory(9 schools in US, 1 in Canada), and international relations (2 schools in US). I have a terrible undergrad gpa, a good master's gpa, and good gre scores except for the AW. Applying for a wide range of schools.

Hi all, here's another semi-lurker: this is my second cycle, last year I got two acceptances from one Australian and one English university - both without funding - plus three waiting lists in US (with no admission, one of them was a top ten Department).

International student, IR theory, this time I improved my GRE score by ten points overall and the quant by 8 - which I think was my biggest weakness last year - and changed my research interests a bit.

As the outcomes approach, let's cross our fingers and good luck everyone!

Edited by Robes

I can only hope the silence in this thread means that PoliSci graduate programs have received fewer applications this year.   :P

Lurkers... come forth!

So one has to wonder whether the applicant pool in the social sciences has collapsed the same way humanities' applicant pools have (English, history, philosophy all alluded to such a collapse this year, here on TGC)... Or, at the very least, political science.

So I have the dubious honor of having both the first result of the cycle AND the first rejection. It seems I won't be going to Atlanta, Georgia (Emory)! It was a generic email from the graduate school sent early this morning (6am?! EST).

One of the lower ranked schools I applied to, a reasonable fit and no interview... 

Long way to go...  :huh:

Edited by AuldReekie

Oh wow, sorry to hear that AuldReekie. I can't believe that came so soon - so I'm assuming Emory does interview requests then?

I ended up applying to 8 programs as well. Duke, Indiana, Ohio State, Princeton, UW, UNC, Vanderbilt and WashU. 

Also, I've got a Google doc made with all of my school's acceptance notification dates for the last three cycles. If anyone would be interested in getting a group version going, PM me and I'll share the doc with you, and everyone can add their schools to make a master list. I'd rather not post it for everyone to see for privacy reasons, but for anyone who's been around here, I'd be more than happy to share it with you.

Another "lurker" here....I suspect there are several others as well.

Anyhow, I just received an email from Colorado informing me that my application is incomplete. A recommender failed to successfully submit an LoR, which was frustrating since said recommender had explicitly told me that it had been sent. Also found out that one of my transcripts must not have made it there.... I have just paid to overnight another one.

the lesson to be learned: continuously check the status of your applications!

But, anyway, this probably means that Colorado is just beginning to review applications.

Edited by Bubandis

Hello everyone, another lurker here and decided to add my voice to this thread. 

I applied to 13 schools, the usual suspects and several other ones. I wish to focus on Political Theory (ancient theory to be precise). 

My GRE Scores were okay (V: 159, Q:148, AW: 5.5). I graduated from an accredited California law school in 2013 and passed the California Bar Exam on my first attempt that summer as well. I have not done math for around eleven years, and no amount of extra studying would have greatly improved my Q scores. Also, English is my third language, though I have been living in the States for 15 years now. 

I am pretty much a nervous wreck at this moment. I do not take things for granted and hope that I get into one of my three top choices. 

Some of my applications are still shown as incomplete while others are stated as complete. One of the schools did not receive my official GRE scores (or they are unable to locate them), and I have been in touch with them informing them of the batch number and etc. Another school informed me of a letter missing. So I contacted the professor and explained to the program what had transpired. 

I figured that I might as well join this thread and either partake in the celebrations, or give free command to the lamentations. Either way, I sincerely wish you all the best of luck. :)

I guess it's time to start checking our emails and spam folders every 5 minutes, right?

After going through admissions last year, I am tempted to advise you against doing that ... but I know how pointless that would be  :).  Good luck, everyone!