Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

dudes and dudettes, most adcoms don't meet until january or feb. they are totes cool with rec letters being late. after all, they would give themselves leway too.

Columbia seemed to imply it was the 17th or bust.. but that may have actually been helpful as forwarding the email got my referee going :). In contrast others seem quite relaxed. 

EDIT: Emory's Graduate Coordinator says that the committee has started reviewing applications.

Edited by AuldReekie

Ugh. Waited until the last minute to submit my application to Columbia and missed the deadline by 3 minutes because I forgot about time zone difference. It is submitted but the submission shows it was submitted on the 4th and their deadline is the 3rd.  Are they going to look at my application?

Side note: hands-down award for most confusing application goes to Texas.

I just did the same thing--actually it wasn't a time change, it was basically my own stupidity, but my excuse is that I was almost done, it was getting close to midnight and of course my computer crashed just as I was finishing up. I ended up submitting exactly 5 minutes after the deadline. I got an email confirming my application had been submitted and they took my money, but I'm pretty freaked out.

On the page with "applicant checklist" it says it was submitted on 12/18, which could make it look like I'm a day late even though it was just after midnight. I'm nervous that professors will be able to see I was past the deadline, or that they don't actually process anything after 12:00. This whole process has been so stressful.

Bottom line is, I'm dying to know: did yours ended up being ok? Hope so!

I just did the same thing--actually it wasn't a time change, it was basically my own stupidity, but my excuse is that I was almost done, it was getting close to midnight and of course my computer crashed just as I was finishing up. I ended up submitting exactly 5 minutes after the deadline. I got an email confirming my application had been submitted and they took my money, but I'm pretty freaked out.

On the page with "applicant checklist" it says it was submitted on 12/18, which could make it look like I'm a day late even though it was just after midnight. I'm nervous that professors will be able to see I was past the deadline, or that they don't actually process anything after 12:00. This whole process has been so stressful.

Bottom line is, I'm dying to know: did yours ended up being ok? Hope so!

The admissions committee will not care if your materials were 5 minutes late.  All that matters is that they're included in your file.  Politely email the grad administrator (not the DGS), apologize, and verify that your application is complete.

Same with Indiana and Vanderbilt's applications, they all have a Jan. 15 deadline. I've got the applications to all 3 of those programs done, but I'm waiting till closer to the deadline for Vandy and WashU to turn it in, just in case I want to tinker with them (Indiana doesn't send out letter requests until you turn it in, so I already finished that).

Same with Indiana and Vanderbilt's applications, they all have a Jan. 15 deadline. I've got the applications to all 3 of those programs done, but I'm waiting till closer to the deadline for Vandy and Wash U to turn it in, just in case I want to tinker with them (Indiana doesn't send out letter requests until you turn it in, so I already finished that).

Submitted my Vandy app after the DGS email to applicants saying to get in as soon as possible to help committee give full consideration. Which Indiana? All I remember is that Indiana - Bloomington was Dec. 1st. 

Submitted my Vandy app after the DGS email to applicants saying to get in as soon as possible to help committee give full consideration. Which Indiana? All I remember is that Indiana - Bloomington was Dec. 1st. 

Indiana Bloomington's was December 1st for international, Jan 15 for American students. It was buried too, they put the international deadline in bold in the middle of the admissions page, and only by digging did you get to the domestic student deadline, I had to tell my recommendation writers to change the date because I didn't see it until later.

Indiana Bloomington's was December 1st for international, Jan 15 for American students. It was buried too, they put the international deadline in bold in the middle of the admissions page, and only by digging did you get to the domestic student deadline, I had to tell my recommendation writers to change the date because I didn't see it until later.

Cheeky buggers!  :)

Edited by AuldReekie

Final application in. Not helped by the fact that much of Florida State's IR faculty have departed in the past few months! All done now..  :mellow:

There are those who say that if FSU would've been able to retain some of the people that have left over the years, they'd be one of the premier programs in the country.

Of course, that can be said for a lot of programs whose faculty are attractive to more prestigious/wealthy programs.

I hope everyone had a good christmas. Too early for worry!

The worry is strong. My SoP for my first applications was much less impressive than my final SoP :(

What are the timelines for decisions usually? Stanford says early February at the latest, others say April.

The worry is strong. My SoP for my first applications was much less impressive than my final SoP :(

What are the timelines for decisions usually? Stanford says early February at the latest, others say April.

At least you feel there was some improvement ;).

Final week of January seems to be when things begin to heat up. Have a look at the results page (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=political+science&t=a&pp=250) for your universities. Our only school in common is Columbia (unless by Texas you mean TAMU?) and they seem to notify people in the latter half of February.

I know some of the previous years applicants made spreadsheets - using the results of previous years - with when they would be  likely to hear from a school, but I can't find any of them now.

Good luck!

Edited by AuldReekie

I was going to be nerdy and put together a spreadsheet for my schools results timing, looking at the past three years. Perhaps I can do that as a Google spreadsheet, and share it with anyone who would be interested/want to contribute some schools of their own. Make it more of a communal effort rather than make everyone who was going to do something along those lines do it separately.

I was going to be nerdy and put together a spreadsheet for my schools results timing, looking at the past three years. Perhaps I can do that as a Google spreadsheet, and share it with anyone who would be interested/want to contribute some schools of their own. Make it more of a communal effort rather than make everyone who was going to do something along those lines do it separately.

I'm down! I would also be interested in seeing the mode of communication from each school. I've looked at the results page, and it seems that phone calls are falling out of favor for email, but there are still a few hold-outs. I'm going to be out of the country with no phone the entire notification period, so I have an extra little worry!

I'm down! I would also be interested in seeing the mode of communication from each school. I've looked at the results page, and it seems that phone calls are falling out of favor for email, but there are still a few hold-outs. I'm going to be out of the country with no phone the entire notification period, so I have an extra little worry!

Everyone ended up emailing within a day or two.  The calls were just first.

I think Emory are the only ones on your list that interview. One would imagine they'd email if they're unable to contact you.

Happy Hogmanay/New Year